Phang Nga Bay?

RaoulDuke

I will be visiting Phuket for only 48 hours, from BKK, but the one thing I want to see is Phang Nga Bay. I was researching and it seems my two options are either book a day trip from Phuket, where everything is covered, but I am sure they are overpriced, and I usually try to avoid organized tours when traveling, if I can. The other option seems to be that I could just take a bus to Phang Nga, and take a tour locally.

Of course, pre-booking a day trip from Phuket is the safer of the two options, since I don't really have to put any effort into it. But I was wondering how easy it is to find decent boat tour of the bay if I just went to Phang Nga on the bus? I can't go into the water, and I do not want to have to walk or climb too much, as I am still recovering from a surgery. I am mainly just looking to cruise around the area, maybe a little light exploring, but no snorkeling. I don't mind a little adventure in pursuing a more local feel, I just don't want to worry about getting there and not being able to find a tour at all, since I only really have 1 day to spend there.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for who offers the best tours, or which type of tour/boat offers the best experience, either from Phuket or Phang Nga, I would appreciate it.

Doing it yourself would mean: take a Phangnga bound bus from Phuket, and get off at the turnoff for Phangnga Bay. From the turnoff take a songthaew (shared taxi) to the pier. At the pier you will be approached by men offering the tour by longtailboat through the bay. With a bit of haggling you should be able to charter the boat for 1200 Baht (3-4 hour tour), no matter how many people are going.

Edited by keestha

Doing it yourself would mean: take a Phangnga bound bus from Phuket, and get off at the turnoff for Phangnga Bay. From the turnoff take a songthaew (shared taxi) to the pier. At the pier you will be approached by men offering the tour by longtailboat through the bay. With a bit of haggling you should be able to charter the boat for 1200 Baht (3-4 hour tour), no matter how many people are going.

That would be plus any National Park fees

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will just wait until I get to Phuket, and book a tour from there. I can book it in advance online, but if it is easy to book on the day of travel, then there is probably no need to book online in advance. The two packages I have found online are for ฿2500-3000, for the speedboat tours from Phuket. The only problem is that I am alone, so I need to make sure they have some other people going, as well, so they do not cancel it or charge me extra for going alone. If I cant find anything in Phuket, I will just go and try to charter a boat in Phang Nga.

Also, someone mentioned the canoe, but I was reading a review online where they rode the canoe, but did not have to paddle. If I had a canoe portion in a tour, would I have to paddle, or would I just be going along for the ride?

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will just wait until I get to Phuket, and book a tour from there. I can book it in advance online, but if it is easy to book on the day of travel, then there is probably no need to book online in advance. The two packages I have found online are for ฿2500-3000, for the speedboat tours from Phuket. The only problem is that I am alone, so I need to make sure they have some other people going, as well, so they do not cancel it or charge me extra for going alone. If I cant find anything in Phuket, I will just go and try to charter a boat in Phang Nga.

Also, someone mentioned the canoe, but I was reading a review online where they rode the canoe, but did not have to paddle. If I had a canoe portion in a tour, would I have to paddle, or would I just be going along for the ride?

Sims Tours as Madmitch mentioned is the way to go.

You can book a tour for the same day in lots of places if you book in the morning.

If you are here in high season you'll be fine.

Sim's doesn't have a canoe section, incidentally, and ask your friendly tour agent if you want a canoe tour without paddling yourself. They do exist.

Finally, book when you are here and negotiate a discount (other than Sim's who have a pretty much fixed price). You'll almost certainly pay more booking in advance online. And don't book anywhere a taxi or minibus driver may take you on the way from the airport!

You didn't say when you were going, so not sure if you've been yet or are going soon, or if you were planning for much further down the line.

Either way I would be interested to hear who you went with, what the experience was like, how much etc etc. Hope you have/had a good time and report back some time.

I actually fly there today, but from my emails to a couple tour operators, it seems I may well be out of luck. They said they will probably be no tours tomorrow, because of the storms. Looks like I will just be staying in Patong/Phuket, no big deal since I have never been before, but a little disappointed. Maybe I can catch a bus tour up north, at least see something. Forecast says scattered storms, so we shall see. I guess now I have a reason to come back, but not so close to monsoon season next time around.

Just to update what happened: I decided to take a taxi to Patong, so I had more time to look for a tour. The weather forecast was very ominous, so I was expecting the tours to get cancelled, but I wanted to book one, anyway, just in case. I went to a tour counter on the street right outside my hotel, and they offered a speedboat/canoeing tour, for ฿1400. Since the brochure price was ฿3000, and I expected it to get cancelled, I went ahead and booked it there. I paid a ฿500 deposit, but only after she agreed to refund my money if it gets cancelled (I'm not going to kill myself over ฿500). I may have been able to haggle the price down, but I thought it was a very fair price for a full day tour, especially with hotel pickup/drop off. The pier was almost as far north as the airport, and my airport taxi was ฿450 one way. I figured if the morning tour got cancelled, I still might be able to make the Sims tour, or head up to Phang Nga on a bus. I woke up the next morning, it was pouring rain, and the Thai weather bureau said it would be raining heavily all day in Phang Nga. I called the operator to check the status, and they said it was still going to happen. The shuttle showed up, and the driver asked for the remaining balance. I asked if I would get it back if we got to the pier and it was cancelled. He said 'no refunds', so I had to call the tour operator directly. He finally agreed to take me to the pier, than collect the cash there. The rain was over by the time I got to the pier (so much for the Thai weather bureau), so I lucked out, it was cloudy and cool all day long, almost perfect day for a cruise, minus the slightly reduced visability.

The tour was by Rattanachol Canoeing. There were about 30 people on the speedboat, but it never really felt crowded at any of the stops, and I had no problems with the tour they offered. You would be able to see better out of a sailboat or longboat, but you would not be able to cover as much area in the same amount of time. But i do recommend sitting at the very front or very back of the boat, so you can see all the islands you sail past. I think we were able to catch all the highlights of the area, as well as get a good view of the bay, so I would recommend them, especially for the price. They also had a 40 minute canoeing section around Talu Island, and the canoes were all paddled by the guides. Lunch was also included, and Panyee Island, standard Thai tourist fare, but they offer plenty of food.

I did see some signs at some of the tour desks for a 7 island speedboat tour for ฿900, but I had already booked this tour. I would recommend someone to compare that tour to this one, but I don't know anything about it. BTW, the tour desks really are all over Patong, and they are open late, at least til 9, if not later. I can't really recommend Patong, unless you just want to party and hire prostitutes (in which case, you may as well go to Pattaya, which I thought was much better arranged and easier to get around), but Phang Nga was very beautiful. If I come back, I would probably stay in Phuket.