Scaffolding In Front Of Central World Bangkok Collapses, Killing 2

webfact

I Certainly hope the dodgy construction company and the RED Shirt criminals can be made accountable for these unfortunate alas additional victims.

What did the red shirts have to do with it?

Even though they burnt the place down, they can't be held responsible for shoddy construction methods.

So, now the body count is 93? If it weren't for the reds and the fire, the scaffolding and workers would not have been there in the first place.

So are these two deceased and handful of injured workers eligible for the 400k?

Edited by tomyummer

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Scaffold was made of steal and had pretty much circled the entire Zen side of the building. Corrosion maybe, or someone didn't tighten a few of the brackets holding it together. Or, the sight foreperson didn't do regular inspections of the support structure like most do in other countries.

Or someone took out random bolts to sell them. The Thais will often steal 3 bolts out of a 4 bolt light post, leaving 1 holding the light post up.

Unfortunately, I believe this. Can anyone supply a picture?

The Scaffold was made of steal and had pretty much circled the entire Zen side of the building. Corrosion maybe, or someone didn't tighten a few of the brackets holding it together. Or, the sight foreperson didn't do regular inspections of the support structure like most do in other countries.

Or someone took out random bolts to sell them. The Thais will often steal 3 bolts out of a 4 bolt light post, leaving 1 holding the light post up.

Unfortunately, I believe this. Can anyone supply a picture?

post-28006-060151900 1288403492_thumb.jp

reds to blame? government to blame? y'all are making the yellows feel like wall flowers at this dance!

let's see,, if it wasn't for the airport..... nah forgert it hahaha

You forgot. The Reds started it all when they attacked and injured hundreds in July 2007, pre-dating the airport occupation by a year and a half.

That action of theirs was the precursor to subsequent violent acts by both sides.

Oh go back to sleep.....already established a few hours ago that in fact its the french who are to blame for this by a good couple of hundred years

reds to blame? government to blame? y'all are making the yellows feel like wall flowers at this dance!

let's see,, if it wasn't for the airport..... nah forgert it hahaha

You forgot. The Reds started it all when they attacked and injured hundreds in July 2007, pre-dating the airport occupation by a year and a half.

That action of theirs was the precursor to subsequent violent acts by both sides.

Oh go back to sleep.....already established a few hours ago that in fact its the french who are to blame for this by a good couple of hundred years

Apologies for setting the factual record straight. Always amazes me how timeliness get distorted or overlooked here.

I'm not in the least surprised, Only last week I had to lend our scaffolder a spanner to tighten nuts on fixings as he just hung on them after hand tightening them to check if safe enough !!! Also same week took my sons bicycle to a reputable (god only knows how) bicycle repair shop for two new tyres to be fitted. It was returned with painted white 'Direction of travel' markings facing backwards and a nut missing.

They were really jostling with the Laotians and Nigerians at the back of the queue when God handed out brains weren't they.

Yes but as the Nigerians were stronger they got what was left. Leaving nothing for the Thais and Laotians. :jap:

I've got a can of de-greaser on which it says in large words 'Cleaner' and right below it in smaller words 'spray cleanner'. Maybe that will help.

Or how about the road sides along the canal road nearby, three in a row, one says 'Obkhan National Park 3km', another says 'Obahan National Park 2km' and the third says 'Obanah National Park', I suppose the guy who painted them must have thought there were three different places.

The brain is the least used part of the body here unfortunately...

I wonder how it collapsed, poor construction of the scaffold or corrosion, my money would be on the first one. I would not go on a building site in this country for love nor money.

Corrosion would be unlikely - it hasn't been there long enough. I'd go with the first one too.

I don't think wood and bamboo corrode, do they?

Sorry, let me make it easier for you.

I should have said stupid people.

Clearer now ???

Yes, thank you.

In contrast to the posts previous to mine, I speculated - based on my experience - that the cause of this tragic accident was not just a single factor, but several.

I apologise unresevedly that this rather innocent speculation has offended you in such depth that you have taken not only to insulting me but other members of the forum also.

I won't speculate further - knowing that it seems to unbalance your delicate state of mind - on why something fairly straightforward should unhinge you. There is a counselling forum on Thai Visa for those who need help with personal and emotional problems.

Good luck, and apologies once again.

As an ex scaff I have never seen a scaffold in Thailand that I would put my name to. The best scaffolders in the world are the Brits. In the UK you need to be trained to a high standard before you can erect a scaffold. An advanced scaffolder can erect a scaffold to any height. it is only when you start to sheet it in that it needs to be designed by an engineer. Scaffolds tend to collapse as a result of the load bearing design of the scaffold being exceeded. The load bearing of the scaffold is the distance between the upright standards and check fittings etc. Scaffolds tend to topple due to the lack of anchors attaching the scaffold to the building. A picture of the scaffold would also tell a lot.

In the UK the person who built and signed off the scaffold is legally responsible for it. it would also have a tag telling people the maximum loading and any other restrictions and inspected regularly and signed off.

Will anybody here be held responsible for the collapse ? I doubt it

RIP the guys who died

Sorry Dunc but without prejudice the 2 largest scaffolding companies in the world are European If the job is big enough and this one was an Engineer (the type with a degree not just a spanner in their hand) would have to sign off the assembly plan .

If anyone has passed the site: What was the colour of the scaffolding?? All the manufacturers have signature colours.

Sorry but the Europeans may be the biggest but I said the best. Europeans tend to us system scaffolding rather than the much more versatile and stronger tube and fitting that is predominantly used in the UK and offshore where the safety laws are more strict.

In Holland they don't even fasten the scaffold with a spanner just a wedge is hammered in.

Is endorsing a flame the same as a flame, as "philw" does here?

My point was that theft of essential materials, coupled with improper use and supervision were probably all to blame.

Exactly how is this "stupid" and "ignorant'? I'd also point out I began my post by paying respects to the unfortunate victims of this.

What's your problem? Both of you? Your reactions don' make any sense.

No problem, just sick of stupids.

You have no idea what caused this accident.

Conjecture is only conjecture.

TH made a valid point in my opinion.

What are stupids?

Conjecture is only conjecture? Yes. And? Is conjecture forbidden?

Sorry, let me make it easier for you.

I should have said stupid people.

Clearer now ???

Yes, and much more mean spirited also.

I Certainly hope the dodgy construction company and the RED Shirt criminals can be made accountable for these unfortunate alas additional victims.

What did the red shirts have to do with it?

Even though they burnt the place down, they can't be held responsible for shoddy construction methods.

So, now the body count is 93? If it weren't for the reds and the fire, the scaffolding and workers would not have been there in the first place.

this sad and pathetic argument should be removed from the thread.

The argument isn't sad and pathetic. It's just not very rational. It is however understandable. It's a bit like when you do something daft, like backing into the garage door, and start thinking of all the "if onlys" that could have avoided the accident occurring. Human nature.

The argument isn't sad and pathetic. It's just not very rational. It is however understandable. It's a bit like when you do something daft, like backing into the garage door, and start thinking of all the "if onlys" that could have avoided the accident occurring. Human nature.

So if all the Chinese had ben thrown out about 50 years ago we wouldn't have had a Central retail business (or Thaksin).......????

It's sad and VERY stupid!

Edited by Deeral

So if all the Chinese had ben thrown out about 50 years ago we wouldn't have had a Central retail business (or Thaksin).......????

It's sad and VERY stupid!

No because when you back into the garage door you don't curse Henry Ford for inventing the car or early man for inventing the wheel, you curse your girlfriend for calling you up and asking to be picked up.

The "if only" thing that most us do at some time is as i say not very rational but it is quite natural. It only becomes sad and stupid when it is stretched back to the events of a different century, as you are doing.