Dhcp Server Won't Start

endlessnights

hi all, I just got a true hi-speed connection and I'm having problems getting an ip address from my router. the problem seems to be with winXP. please let me know if I can eliminate problems with the nic card and modem. other computers on the network are okay. no conflicts in DM with nic card.

symptoms:

1) at cmd > ipconfig gives error: An internet error has occurred: the request is not supported

2) in services: DHCP service and DNS service cannot be started, I get the msg: Could not start the DHCP Client service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

info:

I am using WinXP pro service pack 2

this computer was only on the internet with dial up connection, which I no longer have.

Norton was never installed, I just uninstalled Mcafee.

went to the registery to check dependencies (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, CurrentControlSet, Services, and Dhcp) and it lists: tcpip, AFT, NetBT

tried restore from the furthest point (then undid it when it didn't help)

tried removing tcp/ip components, restart, reinstalling them.

tried tcp/ip rebuild with netsh

I did not originally install this OS and I'm hoping not to have to completely reinstall winXP since it is not my computer.

I also tried putting the network information manually, with no luck.

any assistance would be great!!

When you try to start the Remote Access Auto Connection Manager service, you may receive an error message that is similar to the following:

Could not start the Remote Access Auto Connection Manager service on local computer. Error 1068. The dependency service or group failed to start.

Additionally, your broadband connection icon may not appear in your Network Connections folder.

CAUSE

This issue may occur if the Telephony service is not started or is disabled.

RESOLUTION

To resolve this issue, you must start the Telephony service. To start the Telephony service, follow these steps:1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

2. In Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools.

3. In Administrative Tools, double-click Services.

4. In the Services snap-in, double-click Telephony.

5. In the Telephony Properties dialog box, in the Startup type list, click Manual.

6. In the Service status section, click Start.

7. After the Service Control progress bar finishes, click OK.

8. Quit the Services snap-in.

Let me know if this does not work, also are you sharing this connection on a network? Note you must have a local area connection setup to start the DHCP services at boot.

True should have a CD that will do this in automation form.

:o