Ice In Beer, Yea Or Nay?

george

PHUKET GAZETTE READERS' POLL  

198 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the practice of putting ice in beer to keep it cold?

• It's fine. It keeps it ice cold
    • It's wrong. Beer isn't meant to be drunk that way
    • I don't know. I don't like beer.

This poll is closed to new votes

Is it acceptable to put ice in beer?

PHUKET: The Phuket Gazette readers' poll has covered some pretty serious topics in recent months, so, to add some lighthearted refreshment, our latest survey asks readers the age-old, simple question:

Is it acceptable to put ice in beer?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drink ice in my beer for 2 good reasons (in my mind) and not just because "when in Rome, do as Romans"

1. It keeps it cold. I also don't drink it fast enough, and I can't tolerate warm beer.

2. It waters it down. I drink enough of the stuff, I don't want to get too drunk too fast. There was a little trick back in the US that if you didn't want to get drunk, drink a glass of water for every bottle of beer you drink. The melted ice keeps me hydrated, which lessons my hangover.

I take alot of sh1t from my friends in the US, until they come here and experience the heat, then a beer with ice that stays cold isn't so bad. I guarantee they would never admit to it, and switch right back to no ice when they get home.

Cheers!

At home (Pattaya) no, I hate ice in beer but up at the in-laws (Kamphaeng Phet) I have little choice...the beer comes warm and they don't own a fridge.

Buy them a fridge then...biggrin.gif

I did, it worked ok for a few months then it blew up, instead of asking me to take back under warranty they got the local somchai fix it guy to sort it.......... It never worked again !!!

Next visit Im sorted though, have a nice Engel fridge in my pickup....no more Ice for me !!

Edited by Spoonman

I always refuse ice in my beer unless it isn't cold in which case I'd rather have the ice than drink it warm.

I keep four beer mugs in my freezer with two inches of water in each mug result frozen ice keeps beer cold for at least two bottles and no ice lumps floating about, try it.

I drink almost no alcohol at all, but the very few times i do for sure i don't want to have ice on it, by reading the news section i also came to the conclusion that iranian people flying to Thailand, for some reasons must be great lovers of this custom...and i guess the "custom" love them too ....and then someone say that perfect relationships can't happen here. :whistling::lol:

I cannot vote as there is no option for me.

I find Ice is OK in a Thai beer like Leo or Chang, and ifact may even help the taste, but I would never put ice in a western beer. And the beer I drink (western or Thai) depends on where I am and what is available.

I suppose its a matter of personal taste,which is fine.

But having seen many times,full bottles of Beer being stored in the same box,that the buckets of ice come out of,hygienic? ..........................not

I suppose its a matter of personal taste,which is fine.

But having seen many times,full bottles of Beer being stored in the same box,that the buckets of ice come out of,hygienic? ..........................not

well the "mom & pop" store nearby keep raw meats on top of the open ice cream containers, i still have to try to see if the taste is improved somehow ;)

Taiwan had the most amazing ice cups, the cup was formed out of ice and was set in a plastic holder . voila, freezing cold beer.

Kinda like this but beer mug shaped:

Silicone-Houseware-Silicone-Ice-Cup-Mold-D6171-.jpg

but yeah, ice in beer if the beer is not cold or the room not airconditioned

a few ice cubes here and there, i can tolerate.

ice in my whiskey with a splash of soda, goes without saying.

but, red wine and not a cheap bottle too, in an ice bucket or even worse still, ice cubes actually in the glass itself with the wine. absolute philistines ! annoyed.gif

Edited by tigerfish

Where I was in central VN the concept of keeping beer cold had not really taken hold so it was room temperature, circa 35 degrees, beer :sick: or get used to ice in it.

There was one day I was sat there when they took delivery of the ice in the form of a large slab that they set down on the sidewalk and chopped it into smaller chunks. While they were taking one batch to store in the freezer one of the dogs wandered over and had a lick of one of the chunks :sick::sick: . And to think some people worry about them making ice from tap water.

We did buy one of the cafes a fridge but when we all pitched up the next day the woman had filled it with food! :w00t: She was given a little bit of re-education and it was fine thereafter. :thumbsup:

I voted against the idea as it is wrong but, as others have said, it's better than warm beer.

I am pleased to see that so many people are viewing this topic as it is indeed a very serious topic. I'm from Oz, and if the beer is warming up and not flat then ice is essential. Though not too much. We Aussies are the experts. The Poms like it - or did like it - room temp, and the Americans don't really understand what beer is all about. It's a Starbucks kind of thing, the Americans can't make coffee either, though I dearly love them. Oh, and they think bread should taste sweet. What is that? Love you guys. Great motorised vee-hicles.