Lawyer In Chiang Mai

HowardB

Hi everybody

I recently bought a condo in Chiang Mai and needed the services of a lawyer. The person selling the condo provided me with a name and number. My circumstances put me in a position where time was short and I needed to settle before I left Thailand. In my opinion this guy went beyond what was expected, mind you, I am comparing him to the usual service that is provided in Australia.

We had a brief conversation on the telephone and overnight he prepared the offer and acceptance. My wife and I took a taxi to his office where we met the sellers, and signed documents. The following day his two assistants collected us and took us to the bank because we needed a letter from the bank to prove the money transferred was for the purchase of the condo. From there they took us to the land office where we met with the previous owner and transferred ownership to us.

It seemed nothing was too difficult for them to do for us and I feel this type of business deserves a mention somewhere.

I'm not sure of the protocol on TV for mentioning businesses but should anyone require a lawyer I will be only too happy to supply his details.

Howard

Edited by HowardB

That sounds good. To be more sure, go to another good lawyer and have him do the Thai equivalent of a title search to insure that your title is good. Sometimes it is best to do this before buying. There does not seem to be title insurance in Thailand so you have to check it yourself or have a knowledgeable lawyer do it.

That sounds good. To be more sure, go to another good lawyer and have him do the Thai equivalent of a title search to insure that your title is good. Sometimes it is best to do this before buying. There does not seem to be title insurance in Thailand so you have to check it yourself or have a knowledgeable lawyer do it.

We were given copies of the title deed from the land office. The owner/seller is also required to supply proof of sale to the condo building.

We were given copies of the title deed from the land office. The owner/seller is also required to supply proof of sale to the condo building.

In my limited experience, buyers of property usually get the original of the title deed, not copies. Perhaps you did get the original, it would be clear if you did. Probably you are just fine with what you have done but there have been cases when land offices have issued title deeds which were later found to be invalid.

In my limited experience, buyers of property usually get the original of the title deed, not copies. Perhaps you did get the original, it would be clear if you did. Probably you are just fine with what you have done but there have been cases when land offices have issued title deeds which were later found to be invalid.

Sorry to mislead you, yes we got the original from the Land Titles Office

Under no circumstances would I ever use a lawyer recommended by the seller or the seller's agent.  Part of the purpose of the lawyer is to protect your interests from these very people in the course of the transaction.  How could he do that if he is endebted to the person who recommended him?  It may have worked out well for you this time, but it is extremely unwise.

Under no circumstances would I ever use a lawyer recommended by the seller or the seller's agent. Part of the purpose of the lawyer is to protect your interests from these very people in the course of the transaction. How could he do that if he is endebted to the person who recommended him? It may have worked out well for you this time, but it is extremely unwise.

I must agree with the infamous Capt.Haddock--presumably, and thankfully, in this instance all was well ...but it is generally not recommended. Glad you had a good experience.