The Gay Man Who Wants To Go Straight

rbrb

Came across the following news story, apparently a gay man who wants to go straight:

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_brit...ticle304446.ece

seems this item makes the news as it is a bit like the headline of "man bites dog".

hence all the straight men going gay is not newsworthy!

There's not enough newsprint to cover them all. :o

cv

I kind of think those of you living outside the UK should count yourselves lucky that you didn't see the TV programme (aired this week).

As one reviewer commented, it felt like one of those films where they came up with the title first and then looked for something to put with it. The subject (David) was the child of a British/Nigerian mixed parents, brought up in a home, abused by older boys there at age 8 and didn't meet one of his parents until he was 26. Other than that, of course, he's just your typical average gay guy - not.

At 40+, he starts wanting to have the family that he never enjoyed as a child - so he starts to think he should marry and produce his own. Nowhere does it emerge that he's even slightly attracted to women. He signs up for a $700 a week course with a religious "cure you of homosexuality" outfit in Memphis, Tennessee (apparently being gay is just like alcoholism - they just have to wean you off the booze/urge). Having realised after a few days that he doesn't share either their religious beliefs or any sense of the sought-after shame at being gay, he leaves and comes back to England.

Amazing that this could go out on network TV in the 21st century - probably just another example of how low "reality" TV can sink and one wonders who was exploiting whom. He does say that making the programme did him a lot of good - which is more than I can say for watching it.

Sorry if this is :o

He signs up for a $700 a week course with a religious "cure you of homosexuality" outfit in Memphis, Tennessee (apparently being gay is just like alcoholism - they just have to wean you off the booze/urge).

$700 is pretty good value for a one week long course in just about anything. Etruscan Pots, Aeolian Harps, Byzantine Tapestry.

I think he got value for money irrespective of the outcome.

I felt sick watching that program. those people in the ex-gay churchs are a bunch of nutters. One of the guys being interviewed was as camp as glanstonbury's fields & said he wasn't gay but struggled with same sex attraction :D <deleted>!!! I felt bad for the guy on the show though as he was really struggling to find fulfillment in his life (& placed his sexuality high in the reasons of why he wasn't happy) and to feel like that & live the life he had with the abondonments & abuse suffered can't be easy for anyone, but the show was a bit pointless as it didn't resolve anything & just ended really sad :o

(& placed his sexuality high in the reasons of why he wasn't happy)

This is such foolishness. Sexuality is not a reason to feel happy or sad.

The reason why I am not happy is that I do not have enough money. If only I had another million dollars I think I would be ....well...fairly ok..

..but not completely.

• 4 years later...
(& placed his sexuality high in the reasons of why he wasn't happy)

This is such foolishness. Sexuality is not a reason to feel happy or sad.

The reason why I am not happy is that I do not have enough money. If only I had another million dollars I think I would be ....well...fairly ok..

..but not completely.

interesting...

saw bruno and laughed like I was insane at how he makes fun of one guy