Mountain Bike

GooEng

There's a good one down at Rama 4. Cant remember the name. And then there's one close to Lumpini park. ProBike.

thanks!

where about on rama4 - it's quite a long road.

got the probike one on a google map.

any idea how the prices are in bkk??

Edited by joe ekkamai

Klongtoey.

One of my neighbours when I stayed at Centre Point a couple of years ago bought bikes for himself and his wife. I went with him to bring them home and I remember I was mighty impressed with the stock, but unfortunately not to impressed with the prizes. Paeng mak mak. Going east on Rama IV it was passed Carrefour and on the south side.

Pro bikes is the place. But it depends on what you mean by quality ? In Thailand I would go for Trek or Merida - this last one made in Taiwan and exceptional quality. But expect to pay 12,000 -20,000. The other imported ones - Cannondale. etc are all good but pricey and not easy to get parts for.

Bicycles have changed so much in recent years that there are some really good components about. Treat yourself to a good one !

Hi Joe,

You sound new to mountain biking?

I don’t want to sound like a smart ass but if I may offer some advice before you buy anything.

May sound a silly question but what do you want it for? Do you want a hard tail or bouncer, (rigid tail end or full suspension) road, fire track….full on dirt track, cross country, maybe a bit of everything. You don’t say where you are looking to buy? Bkk, CM and so on.

Trust me, a quality mountain bike, bouncer, hydraulic brakes; lock out, good gear set-up and all the other stuff ant cheap even in Thailand and is a bit of over kill to ride to the pub on, likewise taking a nice shiny cheap ass Chinese copy into the mountain in the wet season will have you walking more than riding.

You can get most of the top makes here in Thailand. First thing you need to do if your newish to mountain biking, is be honest with yourself as to what you’re going to do with it, next, get on line start reading about the different types of mountain bikes available. Have a look, think about your needs. Size of frame is very important, (for road or offroad riding) there is a big difference.

It not a question of if they have what you want, it’s more a case of do you know what you want? Cost.............For something of an OK quality, I think you need to start at around 25/30k Baht. It goes up from there.

This season I am mostly riding a Kona Kula, hard tail in and around Mae Taeng.

Good luck

An alternative supplier, if you are down Pattaya way, is Numchai (his store is at the traffic lights on the Skhumvit Road - Between the junction turning into Narklua Market and the junction turning to the Crocodile farm.

Namchai has a wide range of frames in stock, mainly Trek and Giant, but others available, he's also got and get get any group sets you might want, SRAM, SHIMANO and CAMPAGNOLO.

I recently bought a road bike from him, the price was good and he's since provided four free services.

As a clincher he's happy to buy quality bikes back at a fair price, so if you don't get on with the bike, or the you get the cycling bug you can change out of change up.

An alternative supplier, if you are down Pattaya way, is Numchai (his store is at the traffic lights on the Skhumvit Road - Between the junction turning into Narklua Market and the junction turning to the Crocodile farm.

Namchai has a wide range of frames in stock, mainly Trek and Giant, but others available, he's also got and get get any group sets you might want, SRAM, SHIMANO and CAMPAGNOLO.

I recently bought a road bike from him, the price was good and he's since provided four free services.

As a clincher he's happy to buy quality bikes back at a fair price, so if you don't get on with the bike, or the you get the cycling bug you can change out of change up.

Yes he's a good guy to talk to, but, he does swap components on good brand name bikes - and gets into much strife with the suppliers. He will tell you this himself. So take someone with you who knows about bikes - if you don't. The other place in Pattaya used to be on Theprasit road(the one the runs from Sukkumvit to Jomtien). They have a more limited range, but mostly good quality Trek and others. Yes my original reply of 12-20,000 may be a bit conservative. I'm into touring bikes and a good one starts here at about 50,000 baht. But do get a bike that you can get parts for in Thailand. Procycles also have a very useful website.

thx all - taking it all in.

i used to be a very keen cyclist (touring) in my teens but haven't done much since then (20yrs ago)

now have hit 40 and looking at a way to get some exercise and also something i can do with my kids when they get a bit older.

if i buy an off-road capable bike i will get a hard-tail, with decent front shocks. not sure about hydraulic(disc) brakes. i'm not convinced that the added complexity of these and difficulty in maintaining them myself is worth it - a conventional braking system is something i can order parts for online and strip and rebuilt myself.

i will be doing mostly road riding with some off-road. i live at pak chong close to khao yai an there are plenty places close by to get into that. but really it's for fitness i want to cycle - i'm as yet undecided about whether to get a touring bike or fit road tyres to an off road bike.

thx all - taking it all in.

i used to be a very keen cyclist (touring) in my teens but haven't done much since then (20yrs ago)

now have hit 40 and looking at a way to get some exercise and also something i can do with my kids when they get a bit older.

if i buy an off-road capable bike i will get a hard-tail, with decent front shocks. not sure about hydraulic(disc) brakes. i'm not convinced that the added complexity of these and difficulty in maintaining them myself is worth it - a conventional braking system is something i can order parts for online and strip and rebuilt myself.

i will be doing mostly road riding with some off-road. i live at pak chong close to khao yai an there are plenty places close by to get into that. but really it's for fitness i want to cycle - i'm as yet undecided about whether to get a touring bike or fit road tyres to an off road bike.

Hi Joe, I started for the fitness thing as well, then go bitten by the bug, I got into mountain biking about 5 years ago, too old to ride dirt bikes any more, (I no longer bounced when I hit the deck) I too didn’t have much of an idea about advancements in mb since I last rode. I have to say mate about the brake issue, read any article or talk to anyone who knows there stuff about mbs they should tell you the cheapest disk brakes better than the best block type. I have to admit I used to think hydraulic disk brakes on mbs were a bit of over kill! But I’ve found them to be awesome especially in the wet and lose surface, the control is really good. As far as maintenance go……….What maintenance, change pads in 30 seconds!! Oil annual service in the shop once every 1 or 2 years. Joe do yourself a solid and read up a little, thing have moved on somewhat from solid tires back in your day! Ha ha.

Hay Joe, been hanging around Pro Bike in Bangkok the last few days ( I live in CM)they have a Trek 6800 for around 49K and a trek 8500 (OMG what a beauty) for around 105K

both bikes will last you a life time. Well worth the extra money if you plan to ride for many years. I think you can recieve a nice discount too if you ask.

Tonto21: Do you have any GPS routes or descriptions of trail rides up in Mae Taeng? I spend a lot of time up there, do some rides up past the elephant camps on the Mae Taeng river, but am looking for more scoop.

I agree with your comments on disk brakes. I would never get a MTB without them. My Hope 4 puck cc's have over a million vertical feet on them and have never had any service except pad changes and one disk change. Still can lock up the wheels with a single finger on the steepest slope.

Sendbaht: Be careful down there or you'll be buying another bike!

Edited by T_Dog

If you want to check out another high end bike store besides ProBike, check out the Cannondale shop. Here's the address:

Thaicannasia/Star bikes

73/1 Sukhumvit Soi 3

North Nana, Klong Toey

Bangkok Thailand 10110

Fax: 662-253-3464

I've always been impressed by this place, but Cannondale's have always had some weirdness (like funky headsets) that turned me off to them. Their current models might be better. The shop is definitely one to check out.

If you want to check out another high end bike store besides ProBike, check out the Cannondale shop.  Here's the address:

Thaicannasia/Star bikes

73/1 Sukhumvit Soi 3

North Nana, Klong Toey

Bangkok Thailand 10110

I've always been impressed by this place, but Cannondale's have always had some weirdness (like funky headsets) that turned me off to them.   Their current models might be better.  The shop is definitely one to check out.

The Thaicannasia shop moved from that location over 2 years ago. It's off Rama IV behind the Carrefour. I think it's like Sukhumvit soi 26 or something like that. Google it.

If you want to check out another high end bike store besides ProBike, check out the Cannondale shop.  Here's the address:

Thaicannasia/Star bikes

73/1 Sukhumvit Soi 3

North Nana, Klong Toey

Bangkok Thailand 10110

I've always been impressed by this place, but Cannondale's have always had some weirdness (like funky headsets) that turned me off to them.   Their current models might be better.  The shop is definitely one to check out.

The Thaicannasia shop moved from that location over 2 years ago. It's off Rama IV behind the Carrefour. I think it's like Sukhumvit soi 26 or something like that. Google it.

Thanks for that update on the location. It's been a while since I've been down there.

Tonto21: Do you have any GPS routes or descriptions of trail rides up in Mae Taeng? I spend a lot of time up there, do some rides up past the elephant camps on the Mae Taeng river, but am looking for more scoop.

I agree with your comments on disk brakes. I would never get a MTB without them. My Hope 4 puck cc's have over a million vertical feet on them and have never had any service except pad changes and one disk change. Still can lock up the wheels with a single finger on the steepest slope.

Sendbaht: Be careful down there or you'll be buying another bike!

Sorry T_Dog, I don’t have any GPS dater, as I live near the T junction (107 to Pie) Mae Malai by pass road. I just started going out and exploring, after 5 year I know loads of routes…..and more dead ends than you could shake a stick at!

As for telling you where the good tracks are, I would be happy too, problem is as I found all these from exploring it would be very hard to write them down, again as most are follow on’s from obscure locations, sorry!

If I was at home I would say come on out and I would be happy to show you them all. I am working overseas at the moment, have been for the last 18 months, rotating back every 6 weeks for leave, I still ride but it’s taken a bit of a back burner at the moment!

Have you tried to find any Thai mountain bike clubs? I used to ride a lot with Mae Malai mb, I’ve lost contact now, what with working away and my being somewhat un-bike fit for some of the trails I used to ride.

When I get back, and start pounding the tracks I’ll drop you an invite mate!

Later.

• 1 month later...

I recently bought a bike for around town and the occasional dirt road/path.

After researching, I bought the TREK 4300 Mountain Bike, at Pro Bike.

Helmet, Bottle, Gloves, Stand and Rack. 16,000 bt. Total.

I say you don't need to spend any more than this unless you are a serious enthusiast.