Reasonable Rent In Chiang Mai

hutches

I'm looking for a studio apartment in Chiang Mai and I found one I'm happy with for 3500/mo. +water/elec (wifi included). I'm wondering if I should take it only because it seems like a good deal to me but it's in Nimmanhemin and people say that area is expensive. Am I missing something? What can you get for less? Can a farang who doesn't speak (never mind read) Thai find anything under 3500? Certainly not on the websites I've been looking at.

Ideas? Advice?

Crappy rooms without aircon start around 2000 Baht. Nimmanhaemin (and University area) would already be a bit more expensive than that even for basic rooms.

I'd say you have to go look at some places; Internet is not the most suitable to find cheap accommodation. In the end it all depends on your feeling when you're actually in the room.

3500 in Nimman area you definitely want to keep on your short-list.

I've seen apartments on the sois just off of Sirimankalajarn that went for 2500 - 3000 baht/mo, but you get what you pay for. If you're happy with the apartment for 3500 and want to be in that area, I'd grab it before it's gone. Or you can keep looking to try to save 15-20 baht/day. ;-)

Good furnished condo 5000-6000 bht, double bed aircon, cable tv, wifi

Cheap furnished condo 2500-3500 bht, double bed, fan

Pretty much available all over CM ... the cheaper places are often wanting longer rental periods.

Look at emporium Residence in Santhitham Road (Near CM RAM hospital) at 5000bht a month before you decide.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Thanks everyone, all of your messages have convinced me to take it. I looked on about 5 websites and went to see 4 or 5 places. Total dumps in the 4500-6500 range, some not including internet. The only one as nice as my 3500/mo place was 6000/mo. And, actually, the 3500 one is even better!

Incidentally, a Thai woman told me about this place and it wasn't advertised. I don't think online listings are good deals. I do appreciate the tip on utilites, though, and I'll ask about that. Regardless, I remain confused about this low price and I'm definitely going to jump on it.

Thanks again.

The only one as nice as my 3500/mo place was 6000/mo. And, actually, the 3500 one is even better!

Incidentally, a Thai woman told me about this place and it wasn't advertised. Regardless, I remain confused about this low price and I'm definitely going to jump on it.

Thanks again.

I wonder if you might share your good luck with others who might be looking for a similar place. Can't see what you have to lose.rolleyes.gif

Ehh.. the place could turn into another Veerachai Court with all the old drunks moving in? That'd be one reason to keep it a bit quiet.

I get the impression from your post that you might have something against "old drunks" staggering around their front doors vainly searching for the keyhole. I think Nimmanhaemin might well benefit from a light sprinkling of old drunks to lower the tone a bit , to a more demotic level so that proles like me could feel more at home and anyway some of my best friends .............................

I can't add any more to what you've already picked. Why be a cheap Charlie for the sake of a few hundred baht. I haven't seen anything nice for much cheaper. I pay 4500 baht for my corner room in as not a popular neighbourhood.

Probably more like +++ for water/elec. in those type of places. Check the rates against actual govt. rates.

Excellent point.

I pay 5 baht a unit. Am told 8 baht a unit is not uncommon. At 3,500 baht a month if you use a air con you can double your rent.

Not sure what the government rate is I think 2 baht a unit. If some one can confirm this would be appreciated. B) B)

Probably more like +++ for water/elec. in those type of places. Check the rates against actual govt. rates.

Excellent point.

I pay 5 baht a unit. Am told 8 baht a unit is not uncommon. At 3,500 baht a month if you use a air con you can double your rent.

Not sure what the government rate is I think 2 baht a unit. If some one can confirm this would be appreciated. B) B)

I think the main rate is 3 baht a unit.. 5 baht for condos has been a standard rate for 20 years, as I recall :)

Excellent point.

I think the main rate is 3 baht a unit.. 5 baht for condos has been a standard rate for 20 years, as I recall :)

We have a townhouse in Santitham area that we rent out rooms in. The electricity company charges 4 baht per unit, which we just pass on to the tenants without markup. Some places (condos particularly) sting you 6-8 baht per unit! BTW we have a room available now if anyone is interested. Cheers.

Excellent point.

That's absolutely ridiculous. If you think that 8 B/unit might come to 3500, then 5 B/unit would be over 2000 per month. For a studio apartment???? C'mon, get real. I have a bigger house than I need and run one A/C every single night year round, more often when it's hot, and I've never paid more than 1000 B a month.

Another point to consider--especially if you prefer windows open and are interested in a solid night's sleep--is the noise from the street and karaoke bars and pubs, and how late into the night or morning it continues before shutting down. Some parts of town are notoriously noisy, others are somewhat better, and some are even quite removed from excessive noise. In addition, the population of soi dogs doing their thing day and night could also be a factor.

It's not a bad idea to get a feel for the after-hours activity both inside and outside the apartment building before signing the contract.

Any hints regarding good value condos for rent in Santitham would be much appreciated. I like the area, good food is cheaply available, & talat Thanin is close. Good haunt for ladyboys too.

Is security an issue in Santitham?

At present I pay 5,200 monthly in Nimman, everything extra. But I got 2 rooms & a bathroom.

Ehh.. the place could turn into another Veerachai Court with all the old drunks moving in? That'd be one reason to keep it a bit quiet.

Haven't seen any drunks there. I remember Veerachai Court (the modern east buildings, west building is for poor people perhaps you stayed there) as a most pleasant place to stay few years ago. Probably my best experience in 13 years, owners are nice people, friendly staff, good organization, own mini-mart better then the &eleven open till late. WiFi etc. etc. really like that place. Just don't take the upper rooms at Tappa Road side, way too hot there. 5 minutes walking from Tappa gate.

what do you charge for the room

peter

Excellent point.

We have a townhouse in Santitham area that we rent out rooms in. The electricity company charges 4 baht per unit, which we just pass on to the tenants without markup. Some places (condos particularly) sting you 6-8 baht per unit! BTW we have a room available now if anyone is interested. Cheers.

Excellent point.

Well I can speak from the owners perspective. For a big building you need to buy your own hv transformer (about 600,000) and then pay 3.2b/unit. we charge 7b/unit.. havnt heard of 8. Aircons: you buy and install an aircon for about 17,000 and charge an extra 250b per month. I don't think anyone would make that investment. So, yes the elect is marked up 100% but it has to go towards paying for the aircon. Use the air and the machine wears out and needs servicng annually (450b) so i see it as a usage fee which is not unreasonable. For a room with a single aircon we have never charged more than 1000 b for elect and thats in the really hot months

Any hints regarding good value condos for rent in Santitham would be much appreciated. I like the area, good food is cheaply available, & talat Thanin is close. Good haunt for ladyboys too.

Is security an issue in Santitham?

At present I pay 5,200 monthly in Nimman, everything extra. But I got 2 rooms & a bathroom.

M&D Mansion (rental apartments, not a condo) on Thanin Road about 300 meters from the Thanin market, is a very good value for about 3500 B/mo + electric. Large, clean rooms with hot water, cable TV and a/c.

Excellent point.

The EGAT rate per unit is just over 4 Baht right now.

• 2 weeks later...

How many places have a pool, in the 6-10,000 range? I know Ban Thai on Nimmeinhemmin, and it is a good place. But the rooms are quite small.

My ideal place would have more room, and a pool. Is is possible to get a proper one/two bed (not a studio) for around 6,000?