Thai Spouse Visa

Hello :-)

I live and study in Bangkok, so I have a non-immigrant "ED" visa.

Since I have a Thai wife, I was thinking of making a Thai "Spouse Visa" (which I don't know much about).

Now, first of all, I was thinking: Does this "Spouse Visa" give me any benefits over the regular non-immigrant "ED" (education) visa?

If so, what benefits are there?

Thanks.

Regards,

bizmut

There is no such visa so believe you must be thinking of one year extensions of stay for having a Thai wife. That requires financial proof of 400k/40k be provided and a lot of paper (copies and such) each year. But you do not have to leave every 90 days (just report address). If you have the same type of one year ED extension of stay would not see any reason to change.

Thanks guys for your quick replies :-)

@garyh - What do you mean by "NON O"? Non-immigrant "O"!? Hmmm, in what way is that one "easier" than a non-immigrant "ED"?

@lopburi3 - I'm doing my PhD here in Thailand, so I will be able to extend (or make a new one) 1-year non-immigrant "ED" visa for the next 2-3 years. So, the extension of my stay is not an issue. It's just that I've heard some myths about this "spouse visa" (which I think is a non-immigrant "O" visa), so I wanted to check what is that all about and I thought this forum is perfect place for that :-)

Btw, I have 1-year visa and yes, I don't have to go out every 90 days - address report + 1,900B is enough.

You are on an ED-visa based on university study, in that case you have a permission to sty for 1 year also. The same as you would get with an extension of stay base on having a Thai wife.

As Lopburi said, there is no advantage for you to change your reason of stay. In fact, your extension of stay based on your study will be much easier as less paperwork will be involved and you don't need to provide proof of income or money in the bank.

For an extension of stay based on marriage you would need an income of 40,000 a month or 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand. Next you would also need to proof that your relationship is real. To that end your wife will be interviewed, you have to provide photo's of you and your wife in and outside the house and for the first application they will visit you at home.

The extension is not given immediately, but immigration will report to a commission which will make a decision about your extension of stay. Normally you come back after 30 days and than get the extension.

I would wait till the end of your study and then apply for an extension of stay based on having a Thai wife.

An extension of stay based on having a Thai wife, would cost you 1,900 baht, and you would have to show 400,000 baht in Thai bank or an income of 40,000 baht each month, 90 day reporting to immigration would be required (no cost).

How does that compare with what you have/do now?

Btw, I have 1-year visa and yes, I don't have to go out every 90 days - address report + 1,900B is enough.

That 1,900 baht is yearly or quarterly? There are two systems for extension of ED stay and for full time study it is normally full year but part time study has to be renewed every 90 days. If you do not qualify for full year it would make the marriage extension (it is not a visa) more attractive if you can meet the financial.

Thanks all of you guys for helping me out here :-)

Well, my "ED" visa is, I must admit, great, since I don't have to leave every 90days and all I need to do is pay 1,900 yearly and submit 2 documents from University (which are easy to get). That's all to it!

These incomes, that all of you mentioned, decided for me! There is no way I can pay this kind of cash right now!

So, I will stay on my "ED" visa during my study and after 2-3 years I will extend my stay in Thailand based on having a Thai wife.

Thank you for you help.

See you again in 2-3 years :-)

Best wishes,

bizmut

"These incomes, that all of you mentioned, decided for me! There is no way I can pay this kind of cash right now!"

Just in case it's not a language mixup...

This isn't money you have to pay. You just have to show that you either have an income in that amount, or money in the bank (for 2-3 months).

It's just paperwork from your embassy or your bank.

"These incomes, that all of you mentioned, decided for me! There is no way I can pay this kind of cash right now!"

Just in case it's not a language mixup...

This isn't money you have to pay.  You just have to show that you either have an income in that amount, or money in the bank (for 2-3 months).  

It's just paperwork from your embassy or your bank.

OK, understood :-)

Thank you.