Buddhist Statue In Wat Muang Ang Thong

derekgraddy

Is this huge statute made of real solid gold? Also, what is the reasoning behind some of the statutes using gold vs just ordinary concrete? Also, doesn't that have a materialistic type of connotation by using gold when Buddhism shuns material possessions? I have a link to that particular statue. Thanks for any explanation.

http://www.photographythailand.com/Forum/index.php?topic=1461.0

I've read that for chedis and temples, Thais simply like gold. It looks impressive. By contrast, you hardly see any gold at all in Japanese temples, and the buildings, pagodas and many images are made of wood.

I doubt there are many solid gold statues in Thailand, but I think the popularity of gold plate is partly that gold lasts for a gazillion years. Also, the cost means that a lot of people can make merit by contributing towards the construction. If you build a concrete statue, not many people can contribute.

One common practice is for people to stick pieces of gold leaf on statues or luk nimit (large spheres buried around an ordination hall) as an offering.

I've read that for chedis and temples, Thais simply like gold. It looks impressive. By contrast, you hardly see any gold at all in Japanese temples, and the buildings, pagodas and many images are made of wood.

I doubt there are many solid gold statues in Thailand, but I think the popularity of gold plate is partly that gold lasts for a gazillion years. Also, the cost means that a lot of people can make merit by contributing towards the construction. If you build a concrete statue, not many people can contribute.

One common practice is for people to stick pieces of gold leaf on statues or luk nimit (large spheres buried around an ordination hall) as an offering.

Thanks for the info!! Appreciate that.