Ducks And Chicken Deaths

IsaanAussie

I'm in Kap Choeng. All the ducks and chickens were wiped out back in May and those that survived are breading and making a come back.

Any chickens that survive up this neck of the woods are split in two put on a big stick and are then served with som tam rolleyes.gif

coccidioisis could be verified from a lab test but here at least, most non organic chicken feeds have an anticoccidiosis med in the feed....anybody see how they looked? infected eyes? secretments from their beaks (nostrils), dirty vents?

guess if u really want to know u'd have to get some bodies and send to lab for pathology...if they have that option. here anyone can send an animal to the gov lab with a vet form signed by their vet, however, if the news turns out to be bad (spreadable and on the 'black' list of chicken disease) then u may have to cull out your own animals, which is why most farmers in most parts of the world dont bother to send dead animals to labs for testing.

minor precautions: if u walk around any area where there are sick or dead animals, walk through dips meant for use around livestock before going to your own animals; remember soap water and short fingernails are an animal's, vets, and care takers best friends, no crowding in feed lots, immediate quarantine for sick animals and treatment, feeding and cleaning of sick animals always last.... doesnt matter if its chickens pigs or goats (or people probably)..

bina

I.A.

Remember the Chicken flu outbreak a few years ago? The law here states that instances of suspicious poultry deaths be reported to the Amphur office for further investigation. Better to be safe than sorry!

That said, there are so many other potential causes. Some years ago we lost around thirty ducks overnight. Evening before they were fine as usual, following morning dead as Dodo's. I should add that these thirty or so were in a group of approx one hundred, the remainder unaffected & fine. A guy we know with a large poultry farm told us that it was probably down to the cold (similar time of year to present) However, I personally doubted this & think it more likely those affected somehow gained access to some poison, as they were free range, with access to adjoining rice fields etc.... Strange!

Fruity

The most common cause of death is Newcastles Disease. You can vaccinate, but with wild ones , can be extremely difficult to catch them. It will often wipe out over 80% of them. Once caught ,there is no cure, they will just die. The other one ,its name I forget, the eyes will get covered in a scab, the chickens will go blind and starve to death. Treatment is easy and 100 % successful. One drop of Iodine on each scab. The scab will drop off the next day. So simple.