What Is Bus & Train Travel Like In Thailand?

zaz

Anyone travelled BKK to Phuket/Samui by bus/train? Or even into Malaysia/Singapore?

I was thinking of visiting a friend in Singapore. Thought about flying from BKK-SIN on Tiger Airways (very cheap!!). I would fly back from SIN to Phuket and get a bus over to Koh Samui. Any ideas of cost from Phuket to Samui (I guess this would actually be to Surat Thani plus ferry), thanks.

I've done 2 long trips from Bangkok, one to Hat Yai and one to Phuket.

The Hat Yai trip I took on an overnight sleeper train from Hualampong and I have to say it was very comfortable. Sat at a table until dinner, when an attendent comes round with a menu for you to order food from and then the flip down the beds for the remainder of the journey.

The Phuket trip I took by bus and I can only assume it was a local bus because it seemed to stop everywhere. It tooks us 14 hours from Bangkok to Phuket and that was one tough journey. I wouldn't recommend the bus for long distance travel although the bus service is very good in Thailand.

I do all my travel by train, to Hua Lampong then on to the subway then Skytrain or onward.. don’t cost much meet cool real Thais and but be polite you get the key. Lovely folks mean kids an cheap food but wholesome and not the Soi food you may have already had...... :D

I was once on a train form Hua Lampong to Samsaen at the end of the line the conductor asked me "did you sleep well" look at the map where was I ?

Anyway the train in Thailand is nothing like what you can imagine I have never had a hassle at any stop, food vendor or conductor. When I die I hope my ashes are pored on the tracks so I can go places :D Then the track dogs can worry whats it their eyes :D

I can just hear them now. "what’s that?... don’t know.... pick it up... no way... ok smell it... ack! ok taste it hummm must be a farang" :D somtam yang diao!

Take the train :o

Anyone travelled BKK to Phuket/Samui by bus/train?  Or even into Malaysia/Singapore?

I was thinking of visiting a friend in Singapore.  Thought about flying from BKK-SIN on Tiger Airways (very cheap!!).  I would fly back from SIN to Phuket and get a bus over to Koh Samui.  Any ideas of cost from Phuket to Samui (I guess this would actually be to Surat Thani plus ferry), thanks.

I love the train! First class will get you a cabin. Second class is more "fun" but the top bunks can be a bit cramped. If you've never done it you may find it hard to sleep on the train, but probably easier than sleeping on the bus. If you leave from Bangkok while there's still some daylight you'll see how some people live near the tracks and later some pretty countryside out of town and maybe a sunset.

The Samui trip will be train to Surant Thani then a bus & ferry. You can buy a combined ticket a Hualampong, I forget which window but I think it's immediately to the left of the center train gate under the arrival/departure boards. There's only 1 or 2 trains a day that work well for sleeping so you might want to buy the ticket in advance.

There's 1 train a day to Butterworth but it's a really, really long trip.

A waiter will come around and ask if you want to schedule dinner and/or breakfast. It's decent but a little expensive. Hawkers board the train at every stop to sell drinks and snacks.

Also, you might be amazed that that the toilet empties directly onto the tracks!

http://www.railway.co.th/timetable/E_timetable.html

http://www.railway.co.th/timetable/N_S.html

Edited by fxm88

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to look at my options (and costs) of getting from Bangkok to Koh Samui. I only know of Bangkok Air that fly - are there any other airline options? I'm considering travelling by train but my return journey is scheduled to get to Bangkok about 2 and 1/2 hours before my international flight departure - are the trains usually on time (I know anything can happen to cause a delay but might still risk it...). What about travel by bus - has anyone done this?

Edited by zaz

I'm trying to look at my options (and costs) of getting from Bangkok to Koh Samui.  I only know of Bangkok Air that fly - are there any other airline options?

I'm pretty sure that Bangkok Air still has the monopoly on Samui flights (they built the airport).

I'm considering travelling by train but my return journey is scheduled to get to Bangkok about 2 and 1/2 hours before my international flight departure - are the trains usually on time

A little bit of confusion here - trains coming from the south do not pass Don Muang. The north/northeast train lines pass the airport. The southern train line rejoins the north/northeast lines at Bang Sue Junction, a station that is closer to town than the airport. You would either need to take a taxi from Bang Sue station to reach the airport, or hope that a northbound train was passing as you arrive.

A little bit of confusion here - trains coming from the south do not pass Don Muang.  The north/northeast train lines pass the airport.  The southern train line rejoins the north/northeast lines at Bang Sue Junction, a station that is closer to town than the airport.  You would either need to take a taxi from Bang Sue station to reach the airport, or hope that a northbound train was passing as you arrive.

Sorry, I meant arrival of the train at Hualamphong, BKK. I guess from there it's a good 30-45 min taxi ride to the airport. My colleagues suggest it wouldn't be wise at all cutting it so tight so I think I'll fly back from USM.

Thanks

zaz

Sorry, I meant arrival of the train at Hualamphong, BKK.  I guess from there it's a good 30-45 min taxi ride to the airport.  My colleagues suggest it wouldn't be wise at all cutting it so tight so I think I'll fly back from USM.

You could get off the train at Bang Sue and grab a taxi from there rather than going to the end of the line at Hualamphong but your timing would still be a little close, especially if the train is running a half-hour to an hour late which is not all that uncommon.

Your friend is right, don't even think about taking the train back if you need to catch a flight inside of 5 hours of arrivel.

And keep in mind that you MUST check in at the very least 1 1/2 hours before take off. I missed my flight because they closed the window one hour before take off. This was flying international.

I take the train down all the time and have found it to be really great. You will want to book your tickets in advance by two days to insure you get the seating you want.

I get the joint ticket 2nd class sleeper. Never a problem. I agree with the comments about the bus. Too crowded and although I never got ripped off, there are lots of stories about people that have.

I do all my travel by train, to Hua Lampong then on to the subway then Skytrain or onward.. don’t cost much meet cool real Thais and but be polite you get the key. Lovely folks mean kids an cheap food but wholesome and not the Soi food you may have already had......  :D

I was once on a train form Hua Lampong to Samsaen at the end of the line the conductor asked me "did you sleep well" look at the map where was I ?

Anyway the train in Thailand is nothing like what you can imagine I have never had a hassle at any stop, food vendor or conductor. When I die I hope my ashes are pored on the tracks so I can go places  :D Then the track dogs can worry whats it their eyes  :D

I can just hear them now. "what’s that?... don’t know.... pick it up... no way... ok smell it... ack! ok taste it hummm must be a farang"  :D  somtam yang diao!

Take the train  :o

Interesting :D

Agree trains usually start on time but are quite late arriving - especially from the South to Bangkok for some reason.

Will point out there is also 24 seat super VIP bus service to most major cities and that is on very comfortable 1x2 aircraft type seating and is often much faster than train travel.

Agree trains usually start on time but are quite late arriving - especially from the South to Bangkok for some reason.

The trains would stay more on-schedule and probably even run a bit faster if the SRT ever finishes double-tracking the entire mainline. Trains lose time while waiting on station sidings for another train to pass. One train running a bit late and not being where it's scheduled to be has a domino effect for operations on the line.

I'm trying to look at my options (and costs) of getting from Bangkok to Koh Samui.  I only know of Bangkok Air that fly - are there any other airline options?  I'm considering travelling by train but my return journey is scheduled to get to Bangkok about 2 and 1/2 hours before my international flight departure - are the trains usually on time (I know anything can happen to cause a delay but might still risk it...).  What about travel by bus - has anyone done this?

Bangkok to Ko Samui is more than Bangkok to Singapore. I think the buses are really organised and comfortable here. And I will go straight to the bus station instead of a travel agency. The angency's will have a bus full of farangs who do nothing about their body odor and you might have to sit next to someone telling their life story.

I live about 18km from Cambodia in Sa Kaeo and take the bus to Bangkok all the time. Its very easy to do. To go 40 km from my village to Sa Kaeo is about 50 baht. To go the 250km or so to Bangkok is about 170 baht.

The bus is air conditioned and seats are not too bad. Sometimes they play movies on the bus. I usually take something to read because the trip takes about 5 hours. About halfway they stop for gas and everyone gets off to use the bathroom and buy something to eat. There is usually a bathroom on all of the air conditioned busses.

There are busses with just fans that are a lot cheaper but they are not as comfortable. The farthest I ever rode on one of them was 100km to Chantaburi from my village. Not very comfortable and standing room only.

The trains are great. I usually go 2nd class sleeper. Leave at night and arrive the next day at my destination. It helps if you take ear plugs and maybe something to cover your eyes if your on the top sleeper.

2nd class also has 2 bathrooms. 1 Thai style and 1 farang style. I usually ab nam in the Thai style one. It usually takes me all day on the bus to get to the train in Bangkok so the little shower is a welcome relief at the end of the day. Just don't drop anything in the big whole in the middle of the floor because you will never see it again.

They also serve food and drinks (including beer) on the train but its cheaper to buy your food and drinks before you get on the train.

The trains also have armed police for your safety who patrol the trains constantly. They are always very friendly and usually say hello to most farangs. They will also be the ones who punch your ticket.

It is quicker to fly but if you have the time, take the train.