ส.บ.ม.ย.ห.

ChAoS87

Does anyone has any idea what does it really mean. I was going through Benjawan's new iPhone dictionary and came across this 'interjection' which translates as 'Dont worry, it's going well' but when I copy and paste in thai lang dot com site, it dosrn't reveal anything. Is it something colloquial? Can someone please enlighten me? Thanks..

ส.บ.ม.ย.ห. sor-bor-mor-yor-hor = สบายมากอย่าห่วง sa-bai-maak-ya-huang= I'm fine,don't worry

Used when someone asked "How are you?", and only with people you know well & in your same age group, it's considered impolite when used with people you don't know well.

Given the thai penchant ESPECIALLY in print news and colloquial speech to use abbreviations known in thai as คำย่อ (khamM yaawF); Benjawan Becker came out with this a while ago. It's got a lot of the most common ones you'll hear whilst out and about.

I actually think it's available as a c/d which is one of Benjawan's "Speak Like A Thai" series that she's got out.

Here's the video;

At about 1:53 or so in the vid, the term you're asking about comes up. Listen for it to get the pronunciation down clearly ;) (even though it's sang in an awfully high falsetto voice! :o )

FWIW: thai abbreviations are something really worth learning!! You can hardly make heads or tails out of a thai language newspaper if you aren’t dialed into the incredible amount of abbreviated terms they use.