Difference In Riding A Cruiser And A Sport Bike

floridaguy

I like sharing ideas here specially with you cause you know about the topic. Really no offense meant. I apologize ;)

CBR600RR, ZX6R, R6, GSXR600 etc are SUPERSPORT

Agree

Honda CB600 (Hornet), Kawa ER6n/f, Yammie FZ6, Suzie GSR600 etc are SPORT BIKES.

But here, disagree. I believe we ought to make a difference between :

Hornet 600, GSR600, Street Triple, Fz6, z750. Those are SPORTBIKES (roadsters for me)

Er-6, Gladius, CBF600, XJN600, those are BASICS.

Again, we called it different depending on where we come from, I get it. But even in naked bike range, there is 2 differents class.

With the exception of the CBR600RR Honda's current bikes are all rather uninspiring in my humble opinion.

I agree in general but Kawasaki isn't very ahead of its time either. Except the look, the technology is somehow not that exciting. CBR1000RR has some nice specs, VFR1200 has a exceptional V4. Though I agree, Honda used to be a bit more risky in their conception. I am however very happy Kawasaki came back with a serious ZX10-R, thumbs up !

I love my Suzuki GSXR and think BMW, Ducati, Triumph and KTM are all offering very exciting bikes in Thailand but at inflated prices I find hard to swallow.

Kawasaki is hands down the best VALUE going in Thailand at the moment. If Triumph ever manages to sell their Thai assembled bikes at reasonable prices I'd certainly consider one (though unfortunately it seems they only assemble the twins in Thailand when what I really want is a triple...) If the new Thai Ducati factory starts to offer locally made Ducatis at reasonable prices I'll jump on a new 848 or Multi in a heartbeat!

Well on that point, nothing to add ;)

I apologize for getting out of topic, I strongly hope the readers will make the difference and listen to whoever they want to. I just though that BigBikeBKK as a owner of a Gex (I assume, regarding pics you have posted) that when the guys asked the difference between riding a chopper and a sportbike, I would have expected you to use the Gex for the comparaison. Instead of that, I just felt this topic was used once again to glorify the ER-6.

As for the VFR400 I guess I shouldn't have posted here with blocked letters and underlined and all those forbidden stuffs... I might create another topic to prove (and again, pure honesty, I am not trying to fool anyone) that you can have, ride and enjoy a VFR or RVF in Thailand without driving 1000km to get a mechanic or ordering new parts from HRC factory in Japan.

Power Of Dreams !

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its not about glorifying er6. Its about accepting ex650 is the only sportsbike available new in TH for less than 300k baht, and in addition it has trained mechanics in authorized servicecenters in almost every province in Thailand, able to supply any part next day dirt cheap :)

according to wiki cb750 was a sportsbike, and Ninja 250 is a sportsbike, making us need to agre er6n/f is a sportsbike. Not a supersportsbike :D

its not about glorifying er6. Its about accepting ex650 is the only sportsbike available new in TH for less than 300k baht, and in addition it has trained mechanics in authorized servicecenters in almost every province in Thailand, able to supply any part next day dirt cheap :)

according to wiki cb750 was a sportsbike, and Ninja 250 is a sportsbike, making us need to agre er6n/f is a sportsbike. Not a supersportsbike :D

Sorry, but I definitively don't need to agree to that :)

But I'm glad to see you admit calling it sportbike not because it is compare to the competition, but because it is the only cheap new bike with a fearing that you can get in Thailand. Kawasaki marketing team thought it well, saying it's a naked bike under 300k would have been nothing special, but you call it sportbike and tadam ! You just created a niche market with only you in it.

Thumbs up to kawasaki, they have a great range (ok not all available in Thailande unfortunatly) that fit all types of customers.

But back to the topic, I would say Cruiser and sportbike (can I just call it naked, cause I am struggling with myself there ;) ) is mainly that Cruiser will be for one kind of use only.. cruising. On the other hand, naked bikes are very capable of pacing up things a bit while keeping a good feeling of safety. I would advise a mid-size naked for a beginner instead of a cruiser.

Or get both.. for 200k you can get a ER-6 + a Phantom !

Sorry, but I definitively don't need to agree to that :)

But I'm glad to see you admit calling it sportbike not because it is compare to the competition, but because it is the only cheap new bike with a fearing that you can get in Thailand. Kawasaki marketing team thought it well, saying it's a naked bike under 300k would have been nothing special, but you call it sportbike and tadam ! You just created a niche market with only you in it.

Thumbs up to kawasaki, they have a great range (ok not all available in Thailande unfortunatly) that fit all types of customers.

But back to the topic, I would say Cruiser and sportbike (can I just call it naked, cause I am struggling with myself there ;) ) is mainly that Cruiser will be for one kind of use only.. cruising. On the other hand, naked bikes are very capable of pacing up things a bit while keeping a good feeling of safety. I would advise a mid-size naked for a beginner instead of a cruiser.

Or get both.. for 200k you can get a ER-6 + a Phantom !

Wake up, In Th there is no competition to ex650, thats why they have 99% of the market. Other sportsbikes cost double and some supersports cost tripple

whatever you think of the capabilities of Ninja 650, you cant call it naked as it is indeed faired ;) er6n naked as in no clothes. er6f, faired as in Ninja, clothes on :)

z1000 is naked, and with its 135?hp I would call it a sportsbike. Ninja 1000 is faired, and sportsbike. ZX1000R is a supersportsbike, and most supersports are faired :)

BTW, if you think cruisers are for cruising only, go back and look at Tonys vid of RocketIII wheelie and drift. Bet that rider would have considered your antique 400s not sportsbikes but mopeds :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wake up, In Th there is no competition to ex650, thats why they have 99% of the market. Other sportsbikes cost double and some supersports cost tripple

I am awake, truely. That was allows me to see the obvious, ER-6 and Ninja650 were labelled as sportbikes because they cost less than 300k, which let them be the only sportbike in Thailand at that price. It is just a marketing trick that works well. Every brand would do the same. Again, good choice from Kawa in my opinion.

whatever you think of the capabilities of Ninja 650, you cant call it naked as it is indeed faired ;) er6n naked as in no clothes. er6f, faired as in Ninja, clothes on :)

I don't call the Ninja naked, I call the ER-6 a naked bike. Ninja has fairing, same as XJN, Fazer and ZR7 can also have some.

z1000 is naked, and with its 135?hp I would call it a sportsbike. Ninja 1000 is faired, and sportsbike. ZX1000R is a supersportsbike, and most supersports are faired :)

Right. So we agree, fairing does not make a bike a sportbike. ;) ER-6 isn't, so why the Ninja would ? Oh...because of fairing.. ;)

I am awake, truely. That was allows me to see the obvious, ER-6 and Ninja650 were labelled as sportbikes because they cost less than 300k, which let them be the only sportbike in Thailand at that price. It is just a marketing trick that works well. Every brand would do the same. Again, good choice from Kawa in my opinion.

I don't call the Ninja naked, I call the ER-6 a naked bike. Ninja has fairing, same as XJN, Fazer and ZR7 can also have some.

Right. So we agree, fairing does not make a bike a sportbike. ;) ER-6 isn't, so why the Ninja would ? Oh...because of fairing.. ;)

fairing does not make a bike sportsbike. Its tech does. large dual front discs, high hp/cc (a 650 cruiser is like 35hp, an er6 is like 72), rear disc brake, weight on knees and thighs rather than hips and spine, guess chain drive is a must

now Supersport all this is more extreme, some (but not all) have larger brakes, more hp/cc, more lean forward riding position, better suspension

Tmax is very faired, but sportsbike, no not really :D

Valkyrie is faired, but Sportsbike, no way :lol:

Tibo27, you are fighting a loosing battle here. Labelling the ER-6 as a sportsbike has nothing to do with Kawasaki and the price of the bike in Thailand. It's just what that type of bike is called in English. If it was a Kawasaki Thailand thing then why do US magazines etc. call the 650r a sportsbike?

ER-6 is a sportsbike, ZX-10R is a supersports.

Tibo27, you are fighting a loosing battle here.

Looks like indeed :(

Labelling the ER-6 as a sportsbike has nothing to do with Kawasaki and the price of the bike in Thailand. It's just what that type of bike is called in English. If it was a Kawasaki Thailand thing then why do US magazines etc. call the 650r a sportsbike?

Ok, it is a sportbike. Those arguments are obviously..unbeatable ;)

Tibo27, you are fighting a loosing battle here. Labelling the ER-6 as a sportsbike has nothing to do with Kawasaki and the price of the bike in Thailand. It's just what that type of bike is called in English. If it was a Kawasaki Thailand thing then why do US magazines etc. call the 650r a sportsbike?

Echo??? :cheesy:

Monsieur Tibo,

Let us agree to disagree.

I think it's just a language problem that perhaps on your native language you do not differentiate between Sport Bike and Supersport, but in the English speaking world the EX650, faired or not is most definitely a Sport Bike.

End of debate, ok?

Happy Trails!

Tony

ps.

Supersport:

Bira6FebTonyGixxerSSR.jpg

Sport:

225572_10150191875117976_715952975_6800175_3932083_n.jpg

Cruiser / Chopper:

kwaichopper261008.jpg

:cheesy:

So following what you are saying, in term of category/range, no difference between this :permis%20moto%20-%20le%20plateau03.jpg

And this :

art_18319_1_05_big.jpg

Aaaaah.. the art of self-persuasion ;)

Let's say we live in two different world and call it a day, should we ?

Good night gentlemen and ride safe

I think that someone needs to explain to Tibo that a bike can span at least two categories. An ER-6 is a sporting motorcycle. It is also a naked motorcycle. Granted it is not a supersport; just like the Honda Hornet is not a supersport but the CBR600RR(how many Rs are there?) is.

In English there are multiple examples of this. A Brabançon and an Appaloosa are both work horses, but the Brabançon falls under draught horse also. You can walk into McDonald's and get a combo meal or you can 'super' size it. That super-sizing does not change the fact that both are combo meals! One just happens to be more than the other.

Sorry to have missed the debate. Was hopping to chime in before Tibo surrendered. (Must be right about him being French, Tony)

But riding a ER6 will NOT give you a taste of a sportbike. Position is as I said, a naked bike position.

Tibo

<deleted>. As a previous owner of a YZF600R, R6, CBR400RR, Ninja650R, as well as having clocked some time in the saddle of a CBR600RR and GSXR750, I can say unequivocally the ER6, particularly one with sportsbars and an aftermarket pipe, will not only give you more than "a taste" of a sportbike, it will give you "a taste" of a supersport bike, but just a taste.

Dave's right, "naked sportbike" is a subcatagory.

And BTW, www.kawasaki.com lists the ZX-10 and ZX-6 as supersports, and the EX650's as sport bikes. They even have the Versys in the sport section.

Highside racing school in Pattaya uses Ninja650's now.

And for kicks, check out what bike is rented at www.rentsuperbikethailand.com. French owned. lol

Au Revoir

Edited by ScubaBuddha

We might for convenience revert to the names for these bikes - cruiser, which is principally for cruising, or sports bike, which is principally for fun. Each can be used in a way for which the other was designed.

For further refinement, I like to think of the sports bike rider leaning forward a bit or quite a lot. His knees are on the tank, and they move as one. Super or not, the bike is top-heavy, and it lends itself to being ridden at more horizontal angles (owners think in terms of 'grippy' tires). Depending upon the degree of the intent of the designer toward racing, the rider's feet are more likely to be rearward relative to his posterior, he approaches a natal position, and his testicles keep barely out of the way. He is, in his own mind, a sport. Thailand is a good place to use a sports bike. QED

On the other hand, the gentlemen of cruisers ride nearly upright from their backsides. They may even have added lumbar support and the rider's knees are on their own. Drivers might almost be dining, were it not for the plush comfort of the seat. While it can be done (some here make a feast out of exceptions, but exceptions are not the rule), it was never their main intent to tilt the bike away from the perpendicular very often. The bike's low center of gravity allows for gradual curves at speed or acute curves taken slowly. Naturally one may fire it up for a fun exercise, but it specializes in going from place to place, its cruise control device lightening driving chores. In Oz and the U.S. they make particular sense for distance driving where it is flat and uncrowded.

(Ludwig Wittgenstein knows all about this stuff.)

Thus as a generality we can conclude that form follows function. (I just made that up.)B)

Edited by CMX

<deleted>. As a previous owner of a YZF600R, R6, CBR400RR, Ninja650R, as well as having clocked some time in the saddle of a CBR600RR and GSXR750, I can say unequivocally the ER6, particularly one with sportsbars and an aftermarket pipe, will not only give you more than "a taste" of a sportbike, it will give you "a taste" of a supersport bike, but just a taste.

You see unfortunately this is your opinion, not a fact and your are not giving any valuable reason for it. How does a ER-6 could give you a taste of a R6 ? Oh right, 2 wheels.. By the way if you modified it, lower handle bar, inverted fork, bigger brakes etc.. Of course you smart boy, it's getting closer and closer to a sport bike. I am talking factory specs.

I am happy you joint the debate, because once again I am not here to "hate" the ER-6, but saying that you owned a R6 and sit on a Gex make you convinced that ER-6 has sportbike blood... Well, wherever you come from, that's the most useless argument we could find. But thanks for sharing.. I guess (See, French are polite)

And BTW, www.kawasaki.com lists the ZX-10 and ZX-6 as supersports, and the EX650's as sport bikes. They even have the Versys in the sport section.

So your argument is that "Kawasaki said so" .. Wow.. ;)

We use ER-6 for motorbike driving school in France (which I think it is a great idea. Used to be CB500 but new models aren't very easy to ride for beginners). The use Honda scooter in Thailand Circuit, you can make a championship with any kind of bike/two wheels machine in the world.

And for kicks, check out what bike is rented at www.rentsuperbikethailand.com. French owned. lol

And what's your point ?? A company using Kawasaki as rent bike ? Rental company rent Kawasaki in Thailand of course, it is the cheapest "big bike" dealer, with parts available and warranty. Considering the risk those companies are facing with their customers, they obviously won't go for Triumph (do I really have to explain that, can't you figure it out by yourself ?!). Did you actually understood the conversation above lol ? Again you are protecting Kawasaki instead of supporting the debate with real argument. You love Kawasaki, good for you, I have nothing against that. Kawasaki dealer like you too, the color green match your eyes and you look very sexy on the ER-6, again, awesome, I only wish you to be happy.

So the french is not owned yet, did not even surrender but had been asked politely to stop the debate. However I have no problem to keep going, but you seem to think I want to bring down Kawasaki which I really don't.

But I guess this topic is out, I apologize to the person who created, I never meant to start a riot.

ScubaBuddha, thanks for sharing your... "ideas" though, we just learned so much from you. Oh, and being sarcastic about my nationality was really a smart move :)

I think that someone needs to explain to Tibo that a bike can span at least two categories. An ER-6 is a sporting motorcycle. It is also a naked motorcycle. Granted it is not a supersport; just like the Honda Hornet is not a supersport but the CBR600RR(how many Rs are there?) is.

In English there are multiple examples of this. A Brabançon and an Appaloosa are both work horses, but the Brabançon falls under draught horse also. You can walk into McDonald's and get a combo meal or you can 'super' size it. That super-sizing does not change the fact that both are combo meals! One just happens to be more than the other.

Ok, I guess the whole debate actual started by my misunderstanding of the difference of category name in English.

Sorry then ;)

You see unfortunately this is your opinion, not a fact and your are not giving any valuable reason for it. How does a ER-6 could give you a taste of a R6 ? Oh right, 2 wheels.. By the way if you modified it, lower handle bar, inverted fork, bigger brakes etc.. Of course you smart boy, it's getting closer and closer to a sport bike. I am talking factory specs.

I am happy you joint the debate, because once again I am not here to "hate" the ER-6, but saying that you owned a R6 and sit on a Gex make you convinced that ER-6 has sportbike blood... Well, wherever you come from, that's the most useless argument we could find. But thanks for sharing.. I guess (See, French are polite)

Opinions can also be facts. You said ER6's won't give you a "taste" of a sportbike. That was your opinion which is obviously wrong. Now you're trying to shift your baseline with talk of "sportbike blood". And I didn't "sit on a Gex." I circumnavigated Hawaii's Big Island on one.

So your argument is that "Kawasaki said so" .. Wow.. ;)

Um, yeah actually. So a manufacturer categorizes it as a sportbike but that has absolutely no relevance to this discussion, eh? Sure it's anecdotal evidence, but evidence none the less.

We use ER-6 for motorbike driving school in France (which I think it is a great idea. Used to be CB500 but new models aren't very easy to ride for beginners). The use Honda scooter in Thailand Circuit, you can make a championship with any kind of bike/two wheels machine in the world.

Your right. Frog racing (no offense intended) in a city near my home town in Northern California is very popular too.

You do understand that Highside is a track racing school right? Why teach track racing on a bike that doesn't give you a "taste" of a sportbike. Why teach track racing on a "naked cruiser", or whatever category you are putting the EX650 in.

And what's your point ?? A company using Kawasaki as rent bike ?

You missed the name of the website..rentsuperbikethailand.com. We can all agree an EX650 is in no way a superbike, yet this compatriot of yours seems to think so. I thought that rather ironic.

ER 6 having a sports bike when your not having a sports bike :whistling:

Cheap for the masses, Mate just picked one up 150k with a book pretty good deal for a 2 year old bike.

At the moment in the shed 2 x 1000cc sports bikes, 1 dirt bike, 1 Harley, couple of jap cruizers. If you want a cheap run about bike or get into track racing on the cheap then get a ER if you want a quality sports bike you will need to double your money anything after 2007-2008 are a better option.

And my Harley eats ERs for dinner in a straight line.

Cheap for the masses, Mate just picked one up 150k with a book pretty good deal for a 2 year old bike.

At the moment in the shed 2 x 1000cc sports bikes, 1 dirt bike, 1 Harley, couple of jap cruizers. If you want a cheap run about bike or get into track racing on the cheap then get a ER if you want a quality sports bike you will need to double your money anything after 2007-2008 are a better option.

What do you do when there's a curve? :lol:

MCChromeCrash.JPG

HAHAHA!!!!! Unless you are riding a V-Rod or have a fully modded 113" motor, you're out of your mind. And even on a V-Rod you wouldn't be "eating them for breakfast". It would be more like a few bike lengths and the end of a quarter mile. Any other Hardley Ridable would be lucky to see and ER6's tail lights at the end of a 1/4.

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/200801perfindex.pdf

V-Rod is the only sub 12 sec Harley and the FatBoy is the only sub 13 sec (barely) followed by everything else. You might wanna do a bit of research before you start throwing out claims like that like that.

HAHAHA!!!!! Unless you are riding a V-Rod or have a fully modded 113" motor, you're out of your mind. And even on a V-Rod you wouldn't be "eating them for breakfast". It would be more like a few bike lengths and the end of a quarter mile. Any other Hardley Ridable would be lucky to see and ER6's tail lights at the end of a 1/4.

http://www.mcnews.co...01perfindex.pdf

V-Rod is the only sub 12 sec Harley and the FatBoy is the only sub 13 sec (barely) followed by everything else. You might wanna do a bit of research before you start throwing out claims like that like that.

Yes a V rod will eat you for dinner, I am running about 110 hp in a light frame, have already gone against a er6 as my mate rides one, he also couldnt be told and thought his was fast too, and you aint got nothing mate :lol: so hope you like looking at a harley ass because if try against any thing with a bit of work it will leave you standing.

Like I said its a sports bike when you dont have a sports bike, Its a slow bike just because it looks like a sports bike dont make it so :D

Well really it pretty well a sports bike joke to any one that rides a real sports bike :jap:

What do you do when there's a curve? :lol:

MCChromeCrash.JPG

Go around them and you ? :whistling:

Fok it I off for a ride and see if I can find er6 and spit some rubber at him :whistling: They are as funny as the Thai guys on 400s tring to race you :lol:

http://www.mcnews.co...01perfindex.pdf

Yes a V rod will eat you for dinner, I am running about 110 hp in a light frame, have already gone against a er6 as my mate rides one, he also couldnt be told and thought his was fast too, and you aint got nothing mate :lol: so hope you like looking at a harley ass because if try against any thing with a bit of work it will leave you standing.

Like I said its a sports bike when you dont have a sports bike, Its a slow bike just because it looks like a sports bike dont make it so :D

Well really it pretty well a sports bike joke to any one that rides a real sports bike :jap:

Go to BIRA circuit with your 110hp and your light frame. Then we'll see who "ain't got nothing." :lol: I never said that the ER6 was the fastest or best bike out there, but it is better than a Harley. :whistling:

But then again anything is better than a Harley....

Edited by arnoldjr

The probablem with the new cheap ER6 is alot of born again bikers or unskilled people get on them and think they are a GP racer :lol: They are just a cheap and nasty half ass go at a sports bike.

EX650 is inexpensive in TH cause its made in TH and thus no importduty, and markup is low through a large high volume sales network

bet you will consider Ducati crap too, when it will be TH made soon, and sold at 2/3 of todays TH prices

what about HD made in China?

BTW the day Harley comes with brakes, handling and performance on par with EX650, I will consider one just for the sound of it :P

The probablem with the new cheap ER6 is alot of born again bikers or unskilled people get on them and think they are a GP racer :lol: They are just a cheap and nasty half ass go at a sports bike.

EX650 is inexpensive in TH cause its made in TH and thus no importduty, and markup is low through a large high volume sales network

bet you will consider Ducati crap too, when it will be TH made soon, and sold at 2/3 of todays TH prices

BTW the day Harley comes with brakes, handling and performance on par with EX650, I will consider one just for the sound of it :P

They did (in fact these probably well outperform the EX650) and were called Buell Firebolts

buell-1.jpg

And we can't forget the current Harley XR-1200.

08_june_hd_1200_07.jpg

91 BHP, 4 second 0-60 mph, 12,5 sec 1/4 mile, etc.

They did (in fact these probably well outperform the EX650) and were called Buell Firebolts

buell-1.jpg

And we can't forget the current Harley XR-1200.

08_june_hd_1200_07.jpg

91 BHP, 4 second 0-60 mph, 12,5 sec 1/4 mile, etc.

The Buell looks great, but cant be purchased new any more

The XR 1200 has some tiny non ABS brakes unable to stop as an EX650

and none of them sound like a genuine harley :)

I am in no way trying to glorify EX650, its a simple sportsbike performing well but not amazingly

its just that because it is TH made and thus tax free, it is a bargain compared to all others in Thailand. On purchase, on parts and service