Suits

HansBlinkers

I'm getting kitted out for a wedding. I've only been to a couple of shops. Got a price at 8000 bath made from his best Cashmere wool inclueds Pants, 2 shirts, waste coat, jacket and a tie. Is this about right? If not where can I get better? How much should I be paying for this?

I would go to the fabric market. Kad Luang. There you can find many different shops and get the exact material that you want. If I remember right it is around 800 meter for cashmere for the higher thread count material. Some might be 1200, but you can pick and chose. Average price for a tailored shirt (just labor not material) is 300 baht, I know of some for 225-250. Word of caution some of the expensive shops send the work to be done at the lower priced shops. My tailor gets work from some of the big name shops and they mark up a lot. Pants are around the same. I usually pay 250 for labor. Jackets are slightly more but usually around 500 baht.

You will need less than 1.5 meters for pants, about 1.75 meters for a shirt (shirt material is usually under 100-200 baht a meter. Jackets will need around 2.5 meters. vest(waist coat) shouldn't be more than .5 meter.

I think that you could probably save about 3000 baht if you bought the material directly and found a tailor to do it for you. Just ask around at the smaller shops what they charge for labor.

I would go to the fabric market. Kad Luang. There you can find many different shops and get the exact material that you want. If I remember right it is around 800 meter for cashmere for the higher thread count material. Some might be 1200, but you can pick and chose. Average price for a tailored shirt (just labor not material) is 300 baht, I know of some for 225-250. Word of caution some of the expensive shops send the work to be done at the lower priced shops. My tailor gets work from some of the big name shops and they mark up a lot. Pants are around the same. I usually pay 250 for labor. Jackets are slightly more but usually around 500 baht.

You will need less than 1.5 meters for pants, about 1.75 meters for a shirt (shirt material is usually under 100-200 baht a meter. Jackets will need around 2.5 meters. vest(waist coat) shouldn't be more than .5 meter.

I think that you could probably save about 3000 baht if you bought the material directly and found a tailor to do it for you. Just ask around at the smaller shops what they charge for labor.

That's a good Idea, but that's a lot of hassel also

That's a good Idea, but that's a lot of hassel also

Also you might be a bit bigger. No way could you make one for me with out more material. B)

I would go to the fabric market. Kad Luang. There you can find many different shops and get the exact material that you want.

They sell Zegna fabric in Kad Luang ?!?

A suit is all about 2 major aspects the cut and fit as one and the fabric as a second.

Short cuts and substitutions make assessing a price almost impossible. From what I have seen 95 maybe 98% of the Thai tailoring is inferior to off the peg back in the west (which has come right down in value) and coupled with a fitting / adjustment would be the safer bet. Just depends if its something to wear once or twice or if you need to be in a suit (and look comfortable and sharp) in one often.

Good suits in Thailand cost decent money these days, one good one I know of runs 12 - 15k on a 2 piece, which is becoming decent enough money. Tho hes one of the few that actually runs up a tidy suit, not one made for quasimodo with a hump in the back. All the shoulder / arm joins are smooth and clean, no puckered seams, button cuffs and quality pocket detailing, etc etc etc.

I got a quote yesterday at the night market at 4,500 for a 3 piece suite. Sounded like I could easily talk him down to ~ 3,000. He said it was cashmere as well, but I wasn't really looking to buy so just talked to the guy for a few minutes and left. Suits looked very nice.

When at Kadluang the 3 story building with out-of-service elevator, on the second floor more or less behind the perfume/lipstick stores at the right end (seen from the elevator) there is a row of ladies with sewing machines. They all very well experienced and do all kinds of jobs, also suits. They calculate and tell you how many fabric you need to buy, what are the good places etc. Very recommendable and you get the lowest prices.

Thai Tar at minimum the labor would be about 1,500 so you are not getting cashmere for 2,500 baht for a minimum of 4 meters of fabric.

Getting your own material is usually the best because you know exactly what you pay for. There is one shop at Kad luang that is a lot more expensive than the rest but it is highly organized and has a great selection of European imported fabrics. Minimum 1,500 baht-2k baht a meter, but it is worth it for high thread count gabardine wool.

I will agree with LivingLos, you must make sure that there is a second fitting after the first measure. If they don't do it, then you may not get the exact fit. Most shops don't do it that way.

I will disagree about craftsmanship. There are some excellent tailors in Thailand (some absolute crap ones too though). You just need to find them. The ones on the main streets are not always the best just because they cost more. Like I stated before the majority of them send their work out to smaller shops anyway.

12-15 K still sounds a bit steep even with the finest of fabrics. That would be more than 8K for labor. Which seems a little much for 3-4 days work.