Apple CEO Jobs to take medical leave

News_Editor

Apple CEO Jobs to take medical leave

2011-01-18 01:34:29 GMT+7 (ICT)

CUPERTINO, CALIFORNIA (BNO NEWS) -- Apple Chief Executive Officer Steve Jobs on Monday announced that he will take a medical leave from the technology company.

Jobs, 55, informed that he is taking another medical leave due to his latest health struggle for the head of the world-known company. The announcement provoked uncertainty over Apple's future direction.

Apple's CEO is a pancreatic cancer survivor who received a liver transplant in 2009. He informed his decision via an email sent to his staff on Monday morning. Jobs said that he intends to focus on his health in the near future.

"At my request, the board of directors has granted me a medical leave of absence," said Apple's Jobs. "I will continue as CEO and be involved in major strategic decisions for the company."

In the meantime, jobs designated Tim Cook to be responsible for Apple’s day to day operations. Cook, 50, is currently Apple's Chief Operating Officer. In addition, Cook covered Jobs first absence.

"I have great confidence that Tim and the rest of the executive management team will do a terrific job executing the exciting plans we have in place for 2011," added the CEO.

Jobs was diagnosed with islet cell neuroendocrine tumor, a rare type of pancreatic cancer. In 2008, the Apple executive began exhibiting noticeable weight loss which he credited to a hormone imbalance.

"I love Apple so much and hope to be back as soon as I can. In the meantime, my family and I would deeply appreciate respect for our privacy."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-01-18