New Bts Trains Feature Slightly Less Annoying ‘Door Closing’ Sound

Boater

New Bts Trains Feature Slightly Less Annoying ‘Door Closing’ Sound

BANGKOK - 20 Jan 2011 – After much anticipation and extensive testing, the Bangkok Transit System finally launched its new four-car rolling stock as part of its larger, ongoing expansion project.

The new cars feature smaller windows but more handrails, as well as a state-of-the-art electronic train-locator board, similar to ones that the Singapore subway introduced in 1983.But the real buzz has been around the new “door closing” sound, which replaces the excruciating, piercing nine-beep sound of the original rolling stock with a slightly less piercing, trilling, bicycle-bell-like noise.

“This door-closing sound, with its jarring but not painful acoustics, represents a big leap forward for Thai public transportation,” said BTS CEO Keeree Kanjanapas. “We’re proud to unleash this new sound into the Bangkok urban landscape.”The sound was developed by Changchun Railway Vehicles Company, the manufacturer of the rolling stock, for an estimated cost of Bt240 million in a closed bidding process.

- Source

The sound wasn't what my coworkers and I have noticed. Every time we get on the new trains, they smell like weed!!!!! No matter what time of the day! Also, I am curious as well if the BHT 240 mill was just for the sound or what?!?!?!?!

The sound wasn't what my coworkers and I have noticed. Every time we get on the new trains, they smell like weed!!!!! No matter what time of the day! Also, I am curious as well if the BHT 240 mill was just for the sound or what?!?!?!?!

Yeah, they smell something wicked. But you and you're co-workers must be smoking some strange weed if it smells like that. :D

I could care less if the door closing sound was similar to finger nails on a chalk board but would be nice if they installed an electronic zapper to shock anybody trying to enter the train before people are finished exiting.

Chinese junk. Aircons don't work. The cars will be down for maintaince virtually their entire working lives.

But hey those trains are cheap. That's the whole idea.

They miss the platform 1/2 the time. They sound like the wheels are coming off. I hate the new trains. I like the old German ones. Or Taiwan. Or whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

Chinese junk. Aircons don't work. The cars will be down for maintaince virtually their entire working lives.

But hey those trains are cheap. That's the whole idea.

They miss the platform 1/2 the time. They sound like the wheels are coming off. I hate the new trains. I like the old German ones. Or Taiwan. Or whatever.

Absolutely agree.

I use them daily between Siam and Surasak.

It ain't a smooth ride.

Interior design is nice but they much louder then the old ones, and it seems they have a breaking problem.

Or does the software still don't work properly.