Fine For No Helmet

DrAzTiK

didn't they keep your ID card or something? usually they take your home country drivers permit and you get it back when you pay the fine.

Good idea to wear the helmet because you don't want to get brain surgery in Thailand. Or anywhere else really.

I concur. It's always a good idea to wear a helmet; even if it messes up your hair. :rolleyes:

They always keep your license until you pay the fine. And the fine is 500 Baht. If they didn't keep your license and wrote less than 500 Baht, that is really strange.

didn't they keep your ID card or something? usually they take your home country drivers permit and you get it back when you pay the fine.

Good idea to wear the helmet because you don't want to get brain surgery in Thailand. Or anywhere else really.

I concur. It's always a good idea to wear a helmet; even if it messes up your hair. :rolleyes:

They always keep your license until you pay the fine. And the fine is 500 Baht. If they didn't keep your license and wrote less than 500 Baht, that is really strange.

Am I the only one to smell a troll?

I've been caught twice without a helmet (wear one all the time now, not that it would be effective in protecting anything) and was fined 200 baht each time.

First took my licence and I got it back at the station where I paid the fine.

Second I couldn't find my wallet in my pocket (big pocket and it had slipped) and he wrote on the ticket "No licence." I went into the police station to pay the fine and showed them my licence. Again, 200 baht.

True enough on no cash discount for some BIB. Errant parking at warrot on Saturday and no matter how much I wanted to pay the full fine on the spot would not have it at all. Mind you he had already started ticket and they seemed to have a much improved reconciling process at the station so maybe if its finished you are stuffed. When I told wifey I had paid she was a tad angry and still insists bib friends could fix....but there is no way I would trust any of them not to hold over in the future. My deliberate parking so no problem paying the fine for me.

I got fined 350 baht for not wearing a helmet, went to police station to pay and get my Thai driver license back. I made a joke 'lot dai mai?' (can you give some discount?)

The officer checked the yellow fine-rates list on his desk, then he said: 'OK, I will write 'not carry green book with you' that is only 150 baht, OK mai ?'

Very surprising reaction :lol:

This is a true happened story from last year.

I got fined 350 baht for not wearing a helmet, went to police station to pay and get my Thai driver license back. I made a joke 'lot dai mai?' (can you give some discount?)

The officer checked the yellow fine-rates list on his desk, then he said: 'OK, I will write 'not carry green book with you' that is only 150 baht, OK mai ?'

Very surprising reaction :lol:

This is a true happened story from last year.

Always politely ask for a discount.

I have a Mathayom 1 student who is in the I.C.U. of Suandok hospital after having a motorbike accident last weekend WHILE NOT WEARING A HELMET. He has clotting on his brain and has been given 50:50 odds on survival. He was one of the best kids in the class and I hope he makes it. For those of you here who ride without one, if you have no respect for your own lives, try thinking about those who care about you.

:jap:

So you were not wielding a helmet when riding a rented motocircle.

No, I wouldn’t give the police 350 baths.

Just claim you were not responsible for your actions on the grounds of insanity. Believe me you will be able to convince anyone, whether this tale is true or not.

Anyone who DOESN'T pay the tiny fine SHOULD get the alternative... A split skull. You are talking about under $15 for doing something stupid. I have no sympathy for anyone who breaks the rules and expects to skip out without paying. People in Pattaya ALL WEAR HELMETS! That is because the police enforce the laws every day and not just every week or so like in Chiang Mai. Of course, the helmets everyone wears would not prevent much more than road rash.

Best way to avoid a fine is to speak a language other than English or Thai, I recommend a mix of Arabic or German followed by a little PNG pigeon. Stopped for helmet 3 times no fines in Chiang Mai, and it also works on Thai Army check point guards in the north.I cant guarantee results but it has worked me in the past lol.

Best way to avoid a fine is to speak a language other than English or Thai, I recommend a mix of Arabic or German followed by a little PNG pigeon. Stopped for helmet 3 times no fines in Chiang Mai, and it also works on Thai Army check point guards in the north.I cant guarantee results but it has worked me in the past lol.

This may not seem such an intellegent or funny way of addressing this issue when your laid in hospital thinking about it.

Hope it doesn't come to that for you to realise your safety is more important than trying to look cool or getting one up on the police etc.

The police actually stop people here in Chiang Mai for not wearing helmets? I've yet to see that. 90% of folks on bikes here dont seem to wear helmets and drive past those police checkpoints without any issues. What is it one day per month that the police decide to enforce the helmet rule or something?

Always politely ask for a discount.

It's not about getting discounts just approach policemen as humans who do their work, in stead of all that so boring shoe licking apologizing they are used to.

Luckily this is not the US or China/Japan/Korea etc. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPlDNOhqjI

Edited by bangkokcitylimits

Saw something typically thai the other day, 3 girls on a bike no helmet, at a red traf.light. 5 bib at the junction. one pointed to them and the rest turn their back and continue chatting :whistling:. My friends and I were just steaming at the mess.

Are you for real ? :ermm: Just wear your helmet and there will be no fines. Are you worried that your hair will be

messed up? Believe me, the bar ladies don't care whether you are bold or have your hair messed up.

Are you for real ? :ermm: Just wear your helmet and there will be no fines. Are you worried that your hair will be

messed up? Believe me, the bar ladies don't care whether you are bold or have your hair messed up.

They quite like bold men, much more than wimps. wink.gif

They quite like bold men, much more than wimps. wink.gif

:thumbsup:

Anyone who DOESN'T pay the tiny fine SHOULD get the alternative... A split skull. You are talking about under $15 for doing something stupid. I have no sympathy for anyone who breaks the rules and expects to skip out without paying. People in Pattaya ALL WEAR HELMETS! That is because the police enforce the laws every day and not just every week or so like in Chiang Mai. Of course, the helmets everyone wears would not prevent much more than road rash.

I thought people in Pattaya always wore helmets because it`s like a war zone out there, all those gangs trying to attack and rob people.

If I lived in Pattaya I would also wear a helmet every time I went out and a stabbing proof vest if I could get one.

:blink: dude you might be able to pull a Mr.Bean, but I'm sure that most won't fall for that.

In Pattaya, helmet enforcement is different then in CM. At major intersections they're is usually a police box manned by a BiB, 24/7. If they see a rider(s) without a helmet, he'll run out and ticket them. No bribes, pay the 400 baht fine at the police station. In CM, the BiB only enforces the helmet law when they set up their little check points. At night, they go to sleep.

In Pattaya, helmet enforcement is different then in CM. At major intersections they're is usually a police box manned by a BiB, 24/7. If they see a rider(s) without a helmet, he'll run out and ticket them. No bribes, pay the 400 baht fine at the police station. In CM, the BiB only enforces the helmet law when they set up their little check points. At night, they go to sleep.

I think they go to sleep most of the time and you won't run into them during the hottest part of the day.