Thai Patriots Network To Join Hands With Red-Shirt Protesters

webfact

Patriots Network to Join Hands with Red-shirt Protesters

A core leader of the Thai Patriots Network claims he is coordinating a joint protest with red-shirt members to surround Government House after seeing eye to eye about ousting the current administration.

The Thai Patriots Network core leader Chaiwat Sinsuwong claimed a member of the current administration ordered his arrest, but said he must thank the individual for putting him behind bars since he had a chance to meet and talk with detained red-shirt leaders.

They found out that they shared the same objective to demand the resignation of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva.

Chaiwat said details have not been discussed, but he has asked red-shirt supporters to hold their protests at Orathai Bridge in order to bar entry to Government House.

He also claimed another group of farmers protesting debt problems may join the rally.

Chaiwat also commented on the assistance for the two Thais detained in Cambodia, Veera Somkwamkid and Ratree Pipattanapaiboon, in which the Cambodian court is set to read the verdict next Tuesday, by saying that the network’s legal representative Karun Sai-ngam will submit evidence detailing an alleged collusion between the Thai government and Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen in occupying Thai territory.

The network’s legal team and the Thais, who were found guilty of illegal entry into Cambodia, will travel to the area where they were arrested to collect further evidence that may help with the case.

The network requested assistance from the Burapa Task Force posted at the border to facilitate their visit.

A core leader of the group Mom Luang Wanpiwa Charunrote, along with the group's legal team, traveled to Arunyaprathet municipal office to await the Burapa Task Force’s approval to investigate the area where the seven Thais were arrested.

However, the network was denied entry into the area due to a lack of necessary documents and a breakdown in communication with related parties and agencies.

Wanpiwa said that she had contacted all the related agencies, including security offices, the military and the Foreign Ministry, but they failed to notify the Cambodian authorities about the visit, thus denying Wanpiwa access to the area.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-01-28

footer_n.gif

Chaiwat pleas for reds to back yellow pushing out Abhisit

Thai Patriots Network leader Chaiwat Sinsuwong on Friday called for the red shirts to step out and join force with the yellow shirts in protecting Thai territory and protesting to oust Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva.

Chaiwat made the remarks in his first rally speech following his yesterday's release on bail for terrorism charge in connection with the two Bankok airports seizure in 2008.

"I have received information from the TPN's legal team in Phnom Phen that Abhisit is conspiring to sell off the country to Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen," he said.

He said he expected a surge of the crowds for the week-end rally.

He also revealed he had held talks with red-shirt leaders who served in the same remand facility because the two groups had the same objective to remove Abhisit from office.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-28

"I have received information from the TPN's legal team in Phnom Phen that Abhisit is conspiring to sell off the country to Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen," he said.

I'm surprised he didn't mention as a by-the-way that PM Abhisit is going to Davos in Switzerland? Maybe the suggestion the PM might go open a numbered account may be cause for a defamation law case ;)

Hmmm while I expected this protest to have legs --- I thought it would be the *cough* moderate reds *cough* that weren't backing Thaksin that would look to Chamlong's group ....

This seems to be more about the divisions inside of Santhi Asoke.

The enemy of my enemy is my strategic friend?

Can someone please give these eople a busticket to the South and tell them to resettle there. That way all the violent people can make friends with each other and build their new society together. perhaps they can sing It's a Small world while building Utopia?

These are just small splinter groups who can't find any other way of swelling their ranks than by offering alliances to those with diametrically opposed views and grievances in a bid to displace a common enemy.

If they had enough grassroots support in the first place they wouldn't end up looking so silly with these small-time alliances.

These are just small splinter groups who can't find any other way of swelling their ranks than by offering alliances to those with diametrically opposed views and grievances in a bid to displace a common enemy.

If they had enough grassroots support in the first place they wouldn't end up looking so silly with these small-time alliances.

Also put it in a context of an upcoming election that looks increasingly like not only returning poltical reality to use Abhisit's TRT cousins words but also the current government as the side changing starts ( 5 Korat MPs today including a powerful one). The alliance may sound laughable but some of the red and yellow leaders face big problems if things go that way so an alliance may not be as silly as it sounds when it comes to red and yellow leaders needing to save their own butts. Of course the reds at a lower level have their demands and the nationalists will always be around but right now business as usual poltics means red and yellow leaders facing a hard hard time

Hmmm while I expected this protest to have legs --- I thought it would be the *cough* moderate reds *cough* that weren't backing Thaksin that would look to Chamlong's group ....

This seems to be more about the divisions inside of Santhi Asoke.

I don't think Chaiwat is a Santi Asoke lay follower. He paid respects to Phra Photirak, but I really don't think he's a Santi Asoke layman. I could be wrong.

In any case, a disagreement among Santi Asoke people on a political matter or strategy would simply be a disagreement, not a "division". Although Santi Asoke practices "engaged Buddhism", the community's core practise and ethos centres on Dhamma practise and the community's philosophy of Boonniyom, not politics.

A Santi Asoke person, lay or monastic, could easily disagree with Phra Photirak on political matters, but it would have no impact on the core principles and practises around which Santi Asoke members gather.

Personally, I think the border and sovereignty issues are not appropriate ones for Santi Asoke to engage in, but that does not lessen my respect for Santi Asoke in regard to its core principles and practices.

Their approach might lead to internal violence or create war with one of their neighbors. To protect innocent civilians those colored guys should be locked up.

Veera Somkwamkid and Ratree Pipattanapaiboon are locked up, hopefuly for long. Anybody wishing to join them, including Chaiwat, is more than welcome - just cross the border. As I believe cambodian prisons are worse than infamous thai ones

Anyone with a chip on their shoulder that wants to find a shade of a reason for it being the government's fault, please join the queue and unite.... Collectively you might get 150,000 people together in the capital, all sing your slogans, confuse the f##k out of each other over what you are protesting about, and who agrees with who.... Then splinter into even more factions, not totally sure what their idealisms are, and each group wearing a different colour shirt!

Frenemies in the streets

By The Nation

Published on January 29, 2011

med_gallery_327_1086_18716.jpg

Chaiwat Sinsuwong appears to be a lonely man lately, though his ambition is to bring together a million people - both yellow and red - to bring Abhisit Vejjajiva down.

Leading a splinter group of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), Chaiwat approached some of the red-shirt leaders in jail to sound them out on the idea of a yellow-red merger against the prime minister.

"Their response was positive," said Chaiwat, who was granted bail on Thursday after being detained in connection to the infamous 2008 Suvarnabhumi Airport seizure by the yellow shirts.

"We need an uprising of a million people of both colours, making it the biggest political rally in Thai history, which will put Abhisit away," he said.

Lack of immediate response from mainstream yellow-shirt leaders, namely Sondhi Limthongkul and Chamlong Srimuang, might make a mockery of Chaiwat's grand plan. But in Thai politics, if he manages to get some momentum, anything can happen. After all, Abhisit has become the arch-enemy of both "colours", although the mainstream yellow shirts have been considerably less belligerent towards him than Chaiwat's Thai Patriots Network.

Merging both movements is easier said than done, though. The red shirts were born out of proclaimed resentment against the use of "undemocratic means" to force political change, the ousting of Thaksin Shinawatra. The yellow shirts favoured these very "undemocratic means" and yet would not mind if Abhisit were removed from office in the same way.

Analysts say a "tactical" tag team is always a possible scenario for the red and yellow shirts. The reds, who have blamed Abhisit for the bloody crackdown on protesters last year, could focus their anti-government campaign on that. The latter, upset with the way the government has handled territorial conflicts with Cambodia, can concentrate on the border issue. If events evolve into a political hurricane that results in an "undemocratic" removal of Abhisit, the reds would just turn a blind eye the outcome.

Chaiwat is no stranger to some of the key red-shirt leaders. In fact, he fought alongside many during the 1992 uprising against the military. Chamlong was a key leader of that battle, which, ironically, ended military intervention in politics and brought the Democrat Party to power.

Lately, Chaiwat and Chamlong have been drifting farther and farther away from each other. Their estrangement was one of the main reasons the Thai Patriots Network was born, with the unorthodox Buddhist sect Santi Asoke, once Chamlong's political base, serving as its backbone.

Chaiwat yesterday insisted that it was not a travesty for the red and yellow shirts to join hands. Such realignment or re-alliance was common in "Romance of the Three Kingdoms", he pointed out. Enemies can work together to fight the more powerful common enemy first and take care of their own scores later.

"The people can't be divided. They need to join hands," said Chaiwat. "The Thaksin government only cheated the nation, but this Abhisit administration has sold out the nation."

Harsh or drastic as it may sound, this very same criticism against Abhisit has been blaring out from the mainstream rally stage of the yellow shirts. Chamlong, remarkably, has refused to rule out PAD protesters abandoning their peaceful means and resorting to something more aggressive.

"We won't do anything yet in the next few days," Chamlong said. "We just want the government to respond to our demands."

Those demands have been rejected by the government, which leaves the question what the mainstream PAD is prepared to do next. The answer may disappoint Chaiwat, or it may boost his much-taunted idea to unite the two political "colours".

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-01-29

"We need an uprising of a million people of both colours, making it the biggest political rally in Thai history, which will put Abhisit away," he said.

With the red shirts only able to put together 100,000 max, where are the yellow shirts going to get 900,000 people from?

With the red shirts only able to put together 100,000 max, where are the yellow shirts going to get 900,000 people from?

a gross underestimation of the volatile situation in Thailand...uprising of A LOT of red shirts is at the brink if food prices rise....etc.

a gross underestimation of the volatile situation in Thailand...uprising of A LOT of red shirts is at the brink if food prices rise....etc.

They are protesting because (for the red shirts) Abhisit isn't Thaksin, and (for the yellow shirts) because Abhisit isn't going to war with Cambodia.

They are not protesting because of food prices.

I shake my head in disbelief. When will Thai politics ever mature into a stable democracy? The red shirts and yellow shirts share the word 'democracy' in their names, but their actions are those of petulant children. I hope these lunatics remain a fringe group or else we have one of three possibilities ahead. Either 1) the government is ousted and we have ultra-nationalists starting a war with Cambodia. or 2) The government is ousted and a red-yellow power struggle degenerates into civil war or 3) The army conclude that Thailand is not yet ready for democracy and install military rule for however long it takes.

I would favour the third scenario personally.

The only way these groups win even together is if there is inaction against the rallies when the cause problems for the great majority of the people. The army is disliked by the fans of both fringe groups, so there would be no love lost if they have to move against them. It would also end the double standards argument if Yellows are shut down as the Reds were. And give both groups reasons to think twice and a third time to try making trouble again.

Of course this is about the coming elections and their leverage over them, as Hammered noted, they yellows see their past success against Thaksin as some sort of proof they can sway this one, but they have steadily alienated their silent majority base, just as the reds have, and they are attempting to use nationalism as a way to swell flagging support. Veera made his Cambodian bed and he will have to lie in it. There is no chance Thailands army will go to war over one nationalist protester. And will act against the nationalists to prevent a war being started by them. There are much more benefits for Thai society to work with Cambodia even if it means losing a few kilos of land, and gaining trade, oil deals and peace. But these people are totally lost in the National Face lost issue and do NOT think of the greater good. Kow tow to extreme lengths.

I do not support a long term military government, but I do support the army preventing the downing of a legitimate government, both before and after an election, if that government acts in a rational and public service based manner, not kow towing to loud special interest groups, or allowing rampant graft with no attempts to reign it in. If they are functional and making moves at increasing honest governance, they should get a fair chance, and not be dragged down by special interest greed and paranoia...

Edited by animatic

All the street goups are aparnoid about an election. If Abhisit calls one they can use their respective parties to offer war with Cambodia or something.

I would agree ... if Abhisit can manage a clean election and maintain control of a coalition government then Thaksin is finished AND the land reform, land taxes get pushed through hitting the "elite" (of any color). The way things are going pretty much dispel much of the several years worth of complaining from the Reds that Abhisit is a lackey of the "elite".

Should Abhisit manage to contain the protests, and should some more yellows be convicted along with the red leadership it will go a long way to evening things out.

I shake my head in disbelief. When will Thai politics ever mature into a stable democracy? The red shirts and yellow shirts share the word 'democracy' in their names, but their actions are those of petulant children. I hope these lunatics remain a fringe group or else we have one of three possibilities ahead. Either 1) the government is ousted and we have ultra-nationalists starting a war with Cambodia. or 2) The government is ousted and a red-yellow power struggle degenerates into civil war or 3) The army conclude that Thailand is not yet ready for democracy and install military rule for however long it takes.

I would favour the third scenario personally.

I gather the PAD or the TPN or both have identified Sukhumbhand, Chuan and Aphisit as the chief villains.

Whether the PAD/TPN have a strong legal case or not on the border issues, if their attempts to disrupt and destabilize government bear fruit then a coup would seem inevitable, wouldn't it?

Surely they must be dispersable. Photirak is not going to allow his rally to end up in baton-charges, and I doubt the PAD have the numbers to resist a concerted police action. There may be broken bones and even some loss of life, but I couldn't see that producing the dismay and outrage that followed the October 7, 2008 tear gas episode..

Appears the red shirts were the good guys after all now even the yellows are joining forces with them.

Or then again .... it shows what some people have been saying for a long time .... not elite vs poor .... elite vs elite ... and now a common enemy?

But again I think this is just an internal powergame inside of Santi Asoke ... a big slap at Chamlong by another high ranking member of SA

Appears the red shirts were the good guys after all now even the yellows are joining forces with them.

Or then again .... it shows what some people have been saying for a long time .... not elite vs poor .... elite vs elite ... and now a common enemy?

But again I think this is just an internal powergame inside of Santi Asoke ... a big slap at Chamlong by another high ranking member of SA

JD, this is the second time you've said this. I ask again: What makes you think that Chaiyat is a high ranking member of Santi Asoke, or a member at all?

Chamlong is Santi Asoke . Chaiyat is PAD. PAD is not the same as Santi Asoke. Santi Asoke is not the same as PAD. Please don't get confused.

Or maybe just both sets of "elites" are getting nervous at the policies of the current government which, if implemented, would have far greater positive effect on the lives of the poor than any of the populist short term bones that Thaksin threw at them. A PTP/BJT coalition would suit many of the current ruling class of both sides.

Or maybe just both sets of "elites" are getting nervous at the policies of the current government which, if implemented, would have far greater positive effect on the lives of the poor than any of the populist short term bones that Thaksin threw at them. A PTP/BJT coalition would suit many of the current ruling class of both sides.

:)

I have pointed out several times that Abhisit's plans on land reform and taxation won't sit well with any of "the elite" ----- man am I ever glad that the concept of "amart" died finally :)

But I don't see the PAD getting into bed with the reds ever --- just this splinter group from S.A.

I have pointed out several times that Abhisit's plans on land reform and taxation won't sit well with any of "the elite" ----- man am I ever glad that the concept of "amart" died finally :)

But I don't see the PAD getting into bed with the reds ever --- just this splinter group from S.A.

Yes, indeed it makes more sense now. The class war red herring and now this Thai nationalism red herring are just manipulative strategies of squabling oligarchs to get the masses to do their bidding. Perhaps if either group chose to scratch under the surface they may look at the much larger question of marine oil exploration. I'm sure Abhisit is very well aware of this issue and doing his best to further Thailand's interests here instead of kicking up a smokescreen of Thai nationalism to hide behind.

Edited by Steely Dan

You seem to know nothing about SA, but construct this view anyway. Have you any solid reasons, or just chattering?