The Logistics Of Buying A 90'S Luxury Car - Audi, Saab, Volvo

Shipwreck

Browsing around one2car.com and the like, it is easy to find Saabs, Audis and Volvos made in the 90's for less than 200k.

Naturally buying any car that is over 10 years old, you are going to encounter some problems.

The point of this thread is to have people who have experience buying/owning/repairing 'luxury' cars from the 90's in Thailand to share their thoughts. (I am excluding BMW and Merc simply because of the entry price)

So, let's say,

If someone were to spend 200-300k to buy a Saab/Audi/Volvo from the 90's, what would one expect to spend per year on repairs/insurance/etc?

Thanks for anything you contribute!

I owned a 1993 AUDI for 1.5 years, spent almost 100K for repair.

It's a good car indeed, but due to the age. I could not even predict when and what problem will be next.

The structure and design of these cars are very different from Japanese cars, and some design is very crazy, eg. the power door lock is driven by an air cylinder.

Last time the air cylinder for trunk lid was deadlock, even the key and lock was working well, I still could not open the trunk. The garage had to break the tail light in order to replace that air cylinder, cost me 5K baht.

The biggest problem will be spare parts. Most of them are import, expensive and difficult to find.

If you're going to use it as a daily commuter, better looking for a 15 year old Civi, Corolla or Soluna.

If you're going to use it as a daily commuter, better looking for a 15 year old Civi, Corolla or Soluna.

R U Sure ? No ABS, NO Airbag/s, NO Leather, NO Climate control........ even a late 80s early 90 Honda Accords same sort of price is very basic and no safety or standered equipment compared to Audi, Saab, Volvo....

To me the only option to comparer with Audi, Saab, Volvo is a NISSAN CEFIRO VQ, has all the Luxury and in the 2-300k price range 1996 to 1999.

Bought 2 years ago last August a Audi A6.... When I bought it, needed 2 new tyres, but had a brand new leather interior, cost 258k, last owner 10 years...... since i have owned it I needed a new battery [bought a high end one 2,900 baht with discount, the date on the old battery showed it was 11 years old] pipe for petrol to injectors bust cost 100 baht, motor + belt for power steering needed replacing [burnt out while driving I cut the belt and drove the heavy steering car home] + have service, oil change etc total 4,600 baht.... Problem with climate control unit in car, repaired 1,400 baht.... I do have a odd central locking problem, maybe 1 or 2 x a month will not lock automatic, no problem as key will lock..

So to sum up way way better car then the new top model Honda Jazz I bought new in 2004

You have to think about petrol as well !

Sooner or later you won't be able to find petrol without ethanol in it - many old cars won't drive on that without modifications to the fuel system.

I myself is pretty freaked out about the fuel issue at the moment because I'm looking to change my car (Civic 2007 ) to a more power car but again future fuel issue has my attention now - I will defently not buy a older car than I have - again because of fuel.

Not sure, a lot of luck is always involved. You can check everything, but my Audi has constantly surprised me by things keep failing. It runs on LPG by the way, maybe that is an answer to the fuel situation.

I have very mixed feelings, I get in a Japanese car and look at all the plastic fantastic interior, brand new they look cheap and nasty. My Audi leather and a great looking interior, the outside appearance is handsome, Japanese cars are mostly ugly, but personal taste does come into that, it's my opinion.

Not a personal dislike of anything Japanese, I currently also own a Suzuki GSXR750 just for fun. 

Yes the Audi also has all the safety features, if you value your life that is something to consider.

As other people have said, most mechaincs don't know these cars. Spares are not difficult, everything I need I can find quite easy, but they are pricey.

The ride quality is great,  maybe top end Japanese will also be good, but not the ones I have travelled in, very bumpy poor quality, the Audi just glides along, so comfortable. My mother who lives here absolutely loves it.

I don't love the unreliability and repair issues, but it's an old car 95, there are bound to be issues.

I am neither for or against a car such as this, I have tried to be honest the positives and negatives, you have to decide.

Volvo or Saab I have never owned, if you buy an Audi you will love it, whilever it works.

Thanks for all the interesting replies.

It sounds pretty much like I had anticipated. A combination of finding a good model and then expecting some things to go wrong each year.

It doesn't seem unreasonable to budget 50-100K a year for repairs for an 10+ year old Euro.

The financially sound part of me says just spend 200-300k on a down payment on a new Jap model - as the monthly payment would pretty much equal the repair bill for the Euro.

I guess I just need to figure out how important ride quality is to me.

That fuel regulation is worrying me though. Converting a car to LPG sounds expensive.

SAABs are tied with Audi at the top of my list - a 900 Classic or perhaps an A4...

I'll check out that SAAB Club website.

It sounds pretty much like I had anticipated. A combination of finding a good model and then expecting some things to go wrong each year.

It doesn't seem unreasonable to budget 50-100K a year for repairs for an 10+ year old Euro.

The financially sound part of me says just spend 200-300k on a down payment on a new Jap model - as the monthly payment would pretty much equal the repair bill for the Euro.

That fuel regulation is worrying me though. Converting a car to LPG sounds expensive.

SAABs are tied with Audi at the top of my list - a 900 Classic or perhaps an A4...

Hi,

I have a '96 Audi S6 in BKK. This is our second S6. We were driving up in Uttaradit when a sip lor (10 wheel truck) decided to pass us doing 70 or so when we were turning right. BANG!

We are still alive. Since then we have had a major adventure replacing that car with another and spending quite a bit. Mostly covered by insurance payout and revenue from selling parts.

We kept the 1st one and used all the usable parts, including engine and trans, in the donor. Sold all the surplus, except a few items.

You can get a decent S6 for 350k. They always need a little work.

We run it on Gasahol95 with no issues and sometimes fill it up with Benzine95.

Depending on your driving style, A/C use and traffic, you get anywhere from 600 to 350kms per tank.

Yes, we have a garage where the guys know what they are doing and charge decent prices. They built our current S6.

My wife and I love this car. Its awesome!

If you have 50 to 100k a year for maintenance and parts, you will be fine. I have imported some (upgrade) parts.

PM me if you want more information.

post-63608-0-95551900-1296558616_thumb.j

post-63608-0-60998400-1296558670_thumb.j

You will also find it harder to find repairers that know what they are doing with these cars, those that do know them will most likely charge more.

Case in point, like breaking out the rear tail light to get into the trunk when you can gain access behind the rear seat.. I would have..

R U Sure ? No ABS, NO Airbag/s, NO Leather, NO Climate control........ even a late 80s early 90 Honda Accords same sort of price is very basic and no safety or standered equipment compared to Audi, Saab, Volvo....

To me the only option to comparer with Audi, Saab, Volvo is a NISSAN CEFIRO VQ, has all the Luxury and in the 2-300k price range 1996 to 1999.

Bought 2 years ago last August a Audi A6.... When I bought it, needed 2 new tyres, but had a brand new leather interior, cost 258k, last owner 10 years...... since i have owned it I needed a new battery [bought a high end one 2,900 baht with discount, the date on the old battery showed it was 11 years old] pipe for petrol to injectors bust cost 100 baht, motor + belt for power steering needed replacing [burnt out while driving I cut the belt and drove the heavy steering car home] + have service, oil change etc total 4,600 baht.... Problem with climate control unit in car, repaired 1,400 baht.... I do have a odd central locking problem, maybe 1 or 2 x a month will not lock automatic, no problem as key will lock..

So to sum up way way better car then the new top model Honda Jazz I bought new in 2004

Because VW/Audis have the vacuum locking system with pump the air line joints in the system tend to loosen up and work their way loose after a decade or 2 and that causes an intermittent problem with air leaking and the locks not engaging or disengaging due to low vacuum.. A bit of super glue and a small tie wrap are good long term solutions once you discover the leaking fitting which can be discovered fairly easily by sitting in the car and opening and closing the locks with the remote when it's giving you problems to detect which joint is the issue..

As well the little plastic snaps that hold the air actuator in the door together tend to get brittle and snap causing the seal to leak so that too can be solved with a large tie wrap around the actuator to seal it again and maintain the seal ought to last another 10 or so years with those repairs.. I've had 2 older VW products now with this issue in different locations.

You have to think about petrol as well !

Sooner or later you won't be able to find petrol without ethanol in it - many old cars won't drive on that without modifications to the fuel system.

I myself is pretty freaked out about the fuel issue at the moment because I'm looking to change my car (Civic 2007 ) to a more power car but again future fuel issue has my attention now - I will defently not buy a older car than I have - again because of fuel.

This is one of the biggest problems, and one reason I have divested my collection of classic cars over the last year. I'm afraid today in Thailand you really are left with owning only recently-built cars, and that car afficionados and appreciators, like myself, will have to rely on our memories for these great rides.

LPG not so expensive, between 30 and 45,000 depending on package, though you'll need a more expensive PRINS type of system with the individual injectors for each cylinder.. Shop for a car with it already installed and let the previous owner take the installation hit that's my usual approach, works for me..

Edited by WarpSpeed

• 2 weeks later...