Chiang Mai To Phnom Penh

HansBlinkers

Best and cheapest are usually mutually exclusive.

Best is to fly to BKK and then fly Bangkok Air to PP. Not cheap.

Cheapest involves too many buses and trains for me.

Couldn't agree more on this one.

Quite often the price between Bangkok Air & Air Asia is a very small amount on this route as well.

Quite often the price between Bangkok Air & Air Asia is a very small amount on this route as well.

And you can allow enough time to have a coffee, feed and read in Bangkok Airway's lounge.

A cheap and slow way is to take the overnight 2nd class sleeper train to BKK. Then take the train from BKK to Aranyaprathet, there are two trains per day going to AP. Stay overnight for a rest in Aranyprathet. Then take a tuk tuk to the border into Poipet. There's a free bus from inside the Cambodian border to the bus station. From there take a car taxi with A/C which cost about 10-15 US dollars shared to Battambang. Stay overnight in Battambang if you choose. Then take a bus to Phnom Penh the next day.

Note:The Tuk Tuks from Aranyaprathet to the Poipet border like to stop at a small building on the way to the border in the middle of now where. A couple of guys will tell you that you need to fill out forms there(they want your money) tell the tuk tuk not to stop. You will know that it's not the border crossing because there's no one else there.

A cheap and slow way is to take the overnight 2nd class sleeper train to BKK. Then take the train from BKK to Aranyaprathet, there are two trains per day going to AP. Stay overnight for a rest in Aranyprathet. Then take a tuk tuk to the border into Poipet. There's a free bus from inside the Cambodian border to the bus station. From there take a car taxi with A/C which cost about 10-15 US dollars shared to Battambang. Stay overnight in Battambang if you choose. Then take a bus to Phnom Penh the next day.

Note:The Tuk Tuks from Aranyaprathet to the Poipet border like to stop at a small building on the way to the border in the middle of now where. A couple of guys will tell you that you need to fill out forms there(they want your money) tell the tuk tuk not to stop. You will know that it's not the border crossing because there's no one else there.

From Bangkok you could get one of the gamblers busses from Lumpini park straight to Poipet, used to cost about B100 for the bus. Doesn't take that long either really.

I'd still use the flying option though.

That contradicts my experience and I have traveled this route several times. The price difference is small only if you want to travel within the next couple of weeks. Air Asia is always cheaper and usually significantly cheaper if you book several weeks in advance.

As it happens I was booking one last night and the relative prices are:

Return fare 1 adult; 15kg luggage; no meal (Air Asia); meal (Bangkok Airways); no selected seat (Air Asia - add say 150 baht if you want to); selected seat Bangkok Airways. All fares are for return 6 days later than the departure date shown:

Out 6-Feb Air Asia Fare THB 6,172

Out 21-Feb Air Asia fare THB 3,268

Out 20-Mar Air Aisa fare THB 2,684

The Bangkok Airways fare for all those dates is THB 7,070

That makes it a very expensive meal in my book!

Edit: If you are not sure that you will stick to your schedule do not use the lower cost carrier. The fares are cheaper mostly because low cost carriers make their money from people who change their mind, get angry cos the cost of refixing is higher than they expected (or worse they get no refund from a cancellation) and vow never to use the airline again. :rolleyes: Don't use low cost carriers unless you understand the deal.

Also note that Air Asia only has one flight a day whereas Bangkok Airways has 4 or 5.

Edited by SantiSuk

Overnight train to bangkok then go to any kho san road travel agent to buy ticket direct to siam reipt by mini bus, probably leaving next morning, under a thousand bht when i did it donkeys years ago, maybe more now but should still be a much cheaper way than flighing but still not too many changes and wondering about.

Overnight train to bangkok then go to any kho san road travel agent to buy ticket direct to siam reipt by mini bus, probably leaving next morning, under a thousand bht when i did it donkeys years ago, maybe more now but should still be a much cheaper way than flighing but still not too many changes and wondering about.

Now what with airasia, the price differrence may be neglegable if you've got time to book well in advance. I would certainly fligh given the choice.

The big problem with your suggestion is that the OP is trying to get to PP, not "siam reipt". So add another bus to your itinerary.

The big problem with your suggestion is that the OP is trying to get to PP, not "siam reipt". So add another bus to your itinerary.

oops; sorry; add then minivan or local bus onwards to PP .

oops; sorry; add then minivan or local bus onwards to PP .

I would recommend taking the speed boat SR->PP instead - About same price and faster

Agreed

Can't stop my self have to say it

cheapest walk

best fly

Is there no flights out of Chiang Mai. I believe Bangkok air used to fly to Siem Reap.