Klx250 Performance

Gents, Ladies and Inbetweens,

I'm considering purchasing a KLX250 (Thai built and dirt version) for touring and general day to day use.

It appears there has been much discussion on the performance of the motorcycle over the past 2 years.

I am not interested in going 130-140km/hr flat out because there are few roads in the Lao PDR that would allow that anyway (let alone on a 250 dirt bike).

I am more interested in torque , throttle response and exhaust note (so I can be heard in traffic for safety reasons) ie. "Acceleration and noise" . If the top speed of a stock KLX250 is 115km/hr (?) fine but I'd like to cruise at 90-100km/hr for the majority of my travel.

Can anyone tell me the factory CPU mod part number, where best to buy it from and what is the best aftermarket slip on exhaust or full exhaust system I can buy in Thailand?

Regards,

DB1Kinobe

Myself and many others have played around to get he best from the KLX, the CPU mod can be purchased or fitted at most Kawasaki dealers, or you can clip the wires, you could try fitting a 13 tooth front sprocket beforehand it might just give you that extra you are looking for.

As for aftermarket pipes, the list is endless depending on your wallet, i have a spare Tsuyuki exhaust i fitted and removed because it was too loud for long trips, if you live in the Chiang Rai area it's yours ...:jap:

I had a D-Tracker but same difference, you do need the CPU mod - the wire clipping trick sounds the best as a new ECU is expensive and cutting the wires does exactly the same thing, removes the restriction on RPM in gear 3 and up.

I have not heard that there's a significant power gain with any after market exhaust. But they go as loud as you want, seemingly - sounds faster ;)

100kph cruising should be no problem at all. The D-Tracker was straining a bit to get to 130, or 135 with the head down (de-restricted) but 115 or so was easy.

Edited by nikster

With the ECU mod cruising at 100kmh is no problem.

I rode with 100KG of me and gear from Chiang Mai to BKK and got it up to 120kph easy and with enough road, 135kph but I already had a Two Bros M7 muffler on it.

I must warn everyone to not buy this rubbish.

It is simply too loud to be practical.

I read a stock exhaust is ~87 DB.

My 2 Bros at full throttle was deafening and it melted my plastics.

I have tried repacking with different materials and 3 totally different types of noise suppression/ baffling / air restriction and it is still at 97-100 DB at idle.

A stock M7 must be higher in the DB scale.

I measured according to US bike standards, 45 degrees and 20 inches away from the tip.

On the decibel scale, the smallest audible sound (near total silence) is 0 dB. A sound 10 times more powerful is 10 dB. A sound 100 times more powerful than near total silence is 20 dB. A sound 1,000 times more powerful than near total silence is 30 dB. Here are some common sounds and their decibel ratings:

• Near total silence - 0 dB
  • A whisper - 15 dB
  • Normal conversation - 60 dB
  • A lawnmower - 90 dB
  • A car horn - 110 dB
  • A rock concert or a jet engine - 120 dB
  • A gunshot or firecracker - 140 dB

I'll try to get full RPM readings at the track next, but after spending dozens of hours trying to restrict airflow/noise, I have to give up and buy an FMF Q4 muffler soon.

Too bad since I paid 20K baht for this muffler.

With the ECU mod cruising at 100kmh is no problem.

I rode with 100KG of me and gear from Chiang Mai to BKK and got it up to 120kph easy and with enough road, 135kph but I already had a Two Bros M7 muffler on it.

I couldn't feel any power difference with the new muffler but I'm sure it does make some power.

I must warn everyone to not buy this rubbish.

It is simply too loud to be practical.

I read a stock exhaust is ~87 DB.

My 2 Bros at full throttle was deafening and it melted my plastics.

I have tried repacking with different materials and 3 totally different types of noise suppression/ baffling / air restriction and it is still at 97-100 DB at idle.

A stock M7 must be higher in the DB scale.

I measured according to US bike standards, 45 degrees and 20 inches away from the tip.

On the decibel scale, the smallest audible sound (near total silence) is 0 dB. A sound 10 times more powerful is 10 dB. A sound 100 times more powerful than near total silence is 20 dB. A sound 1,000 times more powerful than near total silence is 30 dB. Here are some common sounds and their decibel ratings:

• Near total silence - 0 dB
  • A whisper - 15 dB
  • Normal conversation - 60 dB
  • A lawnmower - 90 dB
  • A car horn - 110 dB
  • A rock concert or a jet engine - 120 dB
  • A gunshot or firecracker - 140 dB

I'll try to get full RPM readings at the track next, but after spending dozens of hours trying to restrict airflow/noise, I have to give up and buy an FMF Q4 muffler soon.

Too bad since I paid 20K baht for this muffler.

No one can report a working B&B 352 kit on an EFI machine ??

Carburettored bikes are using a re-jetted standard carburettor and Dobeck has set up numbers for their Electronic Jet Kit so someone must be doing it

Edited by VocalNeal