F-16 Upgrades In Wake Of Double Crash; Thai Defence Ministry

webfact

F-16 upgrades in wake of double crash

By Piyanart Srivalo

The Nation

The Defence Ministry has earmarked a Bt6.9-billion secret budget for the upgrade of six F-16 AB fighter aircraft, including the installation of an air navigation system and maintenance costs.

Defence Minister Prawit Wongsu-wan informed the government about the spending plan at yesterday's Cabinet meeting, government deputy spokesman Watchara Kannikar said.

The budget will be spread over a three-year period, starting with the initial outlay of Bt1 billion for the current fiscal year.

The price tag for aircraft navigation is estimated at US$205 million (Bt6.56 billion), but the actual disbursement will hinge on the exchange rate fluctuation. The budgetary earmark came in the wake of the crash of two F-16 ADF fighter jets on Monday. Prawit reported to the Cabinet that Air Force investigators were investigating the cause of the crash during the Cobra Gold exercise in Chaiyaphum.

He said the investigators would check physical evidence, weather reports, relevant flight data and testimonies of the two pilots who safely ejected, before drawing a conclusion. He said his initial assumption was that it was an accident and not a mechanical malfunction.

The two jets were refurbished before being deployed by the Air Force in 2002.

Meanwhile, more than 200 Royal Thai Air Force (RTAF) members scoured the crash sites in Chaiyaphum yesterday out of concern some hazardous items or explosives were scattered in the area.

The operation lasted from 9am till 4pm and ammunition and explosives were retrieved. They were all sent to a military base in Nakhon Ratchasima.

The RTAF also cordoned off the area within a 3-km radius of the crash sites for at least two more days.

Large machinery will be brought in to dig up the debris of the warplanes. Some parts were buried up to 10 metres into the ground following the impact of the crashes.

The first crash site is at the foot of a mountain by Wang Phon-Nong Kwang village. The second is by Hin Neeb Village. Both are in Chaiya-phum's Mueang district.

was it aliens?laugh.gif

Most likely a mid air collision. Probably trying to beat the other jet to the mountain.

You can take the Thai off the motorcy, but you can't take the motorcy out of the Thai.

Edited by Tagaa

The Defence Ministry has earmarked a Bt6.9-billion secret budget for the upgrade of six F-16 AB fighter aircraft, including the installation of an air navigation system and maintenance costs.

Which, after the requisite people have had their slice of the gateaux, will consist of a single sheet of A4 paper taped to the inside of the cockpit window with " SKY " and a large arrow pointing up and " GROUND " and a large arrow pointing down printed on it in red marker pen.

Edited by mca

a 2 digit I. Q. and a family friend in the RTAF and u r now a fighter pilot......

was it aliens?laugh.gif

Most likely a mid air collision. Probably trying to beat the other jet to the mountain.

You can take the Thai off the motorcy, but you can't take the motorcy out of the Thai.

Best they fit high mounted brake lights, take the kettle out of the cockpit so the pilots can't make Mamee Noodles while flying and tell their pilots not to Tweet their friends while working.

Interesting that the Air Force top brass allocating cash from their secret budget to upgrade the planes before the cause of the accident is known. It is as though they needed a convenient excuse to shell out 7 billion baht on a deal which no doubt will benefit all parties.

And next thing you know they will discover that the F16s are really too old and they need new planes.

What's a secret budget and how are funds for such a secret budget allocated? :unsure:

Does the Thai government levy some sort of a secret tax which we dont realize we have been paying all along? :ermm:

Edited by Payboy

Which, after the requisite people have had their slice of the gateaux, will consist of a single sheet of A4 paper taped to the inside of the cockpit window with " SKY " and a large arrow pointing up and " GROUND " and a large arrow pointing down printed on it in red marker pen.

And if there is a mountain?

"Some parts were buried up to 10 metres into the ground following the impact of the crashes."

I find this strange, in a mountainous region the bedrock is never more than a metre or so beneath the surface.

Yet tthe B61-11 American "bunker buster" when dropped from a height of 40,000 feet, was able to penetrate three meters at most into the Alaskan tundra, and not at all into hard rock.

Did someone perhaps add an extra zero to the depth figure?

Sorry. The budget allocated for the terrain following radar upgrade has already been " allocated " to purchase a fleet of Sunseeker 40 metre yachts for the air force brass for when it all becomes a bit too stressful and they need to unwind.

"Some parts were buried up to 10 metres into the ground following the impact of the crashes."

I find this strange, in a mountainous region the bedrock is never more than a metre or so beneath the surface.

Yet tthe B61-11 American "bunker buster" when dropped from a height of 40,000 feet, was able to penetrate three meters at most into the Alaskan tundra, and not at all into hard rock.

Very true. Guess someone must have pushed 9 meters of earth over the debris after the crash.

Thats easy isnt it??? Left arrow and right arrow.

That occurred to me as well. Exaggerated or typo?

According to a us soldier, drinking in my bar last night, it was the american navigator foult, because they got the airplain to close that was why it happent.

That really doesn't make sense, the navigator doesn't fly the plane. he only plots courses and assists in various other duties.

Unless they were flying IFR the pilot should have seen the other plane a long way away.

Greg

Classic !

Ain't that the truth !

Secret budget = secret accounting = missing money.

Very true. Guess someone must have pushed 9 meters of earth over the debris after the crash.

I hope you all realize that this is an old airplane. The first test flight was in 1974 and it was introduced in 1978 to the active force. It is only used in US Air Force reserve units along with the as old F15's. These airplanes are like luxury yachts and require an annual upkeep. Though I don't think its 10% of the acquisition cost per year like a Yacht.

Best they fit high mounted brake lights, take the kettle out of the cockpit so the pilots can't make Mamee Noodles while flying and tell their pilots not to Tweet their friends while working.

I'm working right next to an airport in the lower north-east; I've got to stop teaching when they take off.

I guess the microwave oven were overheated, when they made Mama-soup.

When you see them driving here, you won't be surprised that they can't fly F-16's.....:jap:

Edited by sirchai

I hope you all realize that this is an old airplane. The first test flight was in 1974 and it was introduced in 1978 to the active force. It is only used in US Air Force reserve units along with the as old F15's. These airplanes are like luxury yachts and require an annual upkeep. Though I don't think its 10% of the acquisition cost per year like a Yacht.

I hope you all will realize that these old aircrafts are old. I'll buy a Yacht then. Thanks for your advice, Khop Khun maak khrap.:jap:

Was the same guy that calibrated the altimeter on those F-16's? :whistling:

Thats the pilots job part of any aircraft pre flight check. and before all you pundits jump in I am a pilot.

The mountain should have a large warning sign made if an upper and lower part

the upper part is upside down and says "Low Clearance"

The lower part is right side up and says "If you can read this you aren't going to finish"

I thought the RTAF exclusively recruited from tuk-tuk drivers, as being the only ones with the quick-reactions & dare-devil approach, to fly their fighter-planes ? :whistling:

Now that's what I call a 'cover-up' ! :o

Edited by Ricardo