Immigration Blacklisting

Liam333

Hi,

Firstly - Yes I'm aware this is a topic that's been covered before. I've searched extensively but haven't been able to find the exact type of information I'm seeking. Sorry.

Basically, on my most recent stay in Thailand my friends and I had a problem with a hotel manager in relation to a serviced apartment we had shared in Bangkok. On checkout, we were accused of throwing some items from our balcony and also damaging an item of furniture.

The manager (accompanied by security staff) interrogated us all police style in an attempt to get us to confess to our misdeeds. At the time I was unaware that my friend had thrown these items from the balcony and vehemently denied all allegations. My friend later revealed that he had in fact thrown the items, although he denied it at the time. How the item of furniture was damaged (if at all) remains a mystery to all of us.

To cut a long story short, to avoid any drama, we asked what the manager wanted us to do to rectify the situation. It was agreed that we would pay for the damaged item of furniture (despite not having actually caused the damage), which we did in cash.

The manager informed us that despite this, a police report would be filed. We stayed in the country for another 3 weeks after this and didn't hear anything further in relation to this and had no issues exiting the country.

After our return home, I received an email from the manager in response to negative feedback I had sent the hotel. He did not diretly threaten me, but it was obvious he felt he had 'lost face' and I am concerned that he may seek some kind of revenge.

I am concerned that he may seek to have myself (and/or my friends) black listed from Thailand through a contact he has in immigration or something similar. This concern is based on one of the clauses I noticed that refers to behaviour potentially being deemed a nuisance or something similar. Is this possible?

Secondly, I am concerned that the police report he allegedly filed may mean that we would have to face court if we were return to Thailand and be detained on entry. Is this likely? Or even possible?

I know I am probably being overly-dramatic, I am just concerned that due to the potential danger of the items being thrown from the balcony (if somebody had been under the balcony at the time) and the fairly adversarial dialogue that has been exchanged with the manager (who I assume is a man of some influence - it is quite a reputable hotel) that something may go awry if I/we seek to re-enter the country.

Any help/advice any board members can provide would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks,

Liam

All piss, moan & hot air IMO.

Although I wouldn't stay at, or near that appartment block again, I believe you would not be put on an immigration blacklist (PNG) without being formally sentenced in a (criminal) court of law.

Destruction of private property would most likely be civil case.

To be honest Do Thailand a favor , keep you idiot friend away, because i would Put him in the monkey house for being a destructive idiot and an embarrassment to the UK ,If your friend did do the act in all honesty then just keep away from the area that you stayed in , in other words keep your head down. If the police was not involved then don't worry, The Immigration would not know about any incident unless it was actually at the boarder controls.Or a warrant had been issued by the police. which i doubt very much.

Edited by Thongkorn

Firslty I think an apology is due to the apartment manager about your lying POS 'friend'. (And possibly pay for the items your friend destroyed)

That's just basic gentlemanly behaviour.

I would not worry about being blacklisted regardless.

EDIT: So the manager found these items (most likely damaged/broken, being thrown off a balcony) and he knows and you know those items were missing from your room, but you still denied at the time??

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Some on here have reading comprehension problems.

To cut a long story short, to avoid any drama, we asked what the manager wanted us to do to rectify the situation. It was agreed that we would pay for the damaged item of furniture (despite not having actually caused the damage), which we did in cash.

That should have been the end of it. If you didn't get a letter stating you paid for the damages then some nome nah.

Some on here have reading comprehension problems.

That should have been the end of it. If you didn't get a letter stating you paid for the damages then some nome nah.

To late. He has been judged.

Sorry Bro.

Regards to the topic. Don't sweat it.

Thanks for the replies guys. I was just concerned because I know nothing about the Thai justice system/immigration system and their interaction. This would be a very minor thing in the west, but I've heard some pretty bizarre stories re: Thailand so I was a bit concerned.

Some of you are far too quick to jump on the offensive. I don't see what purpose posting 'Your mate is a knob' serves. It's a waste of your time and mine.

Any hotel property that was damaged was paid for by myself in cash without any protestation, although I was not responsible for any of the damage.

Thanks again for the replies.

Thanks for the replies guys. I was just concerned because I know nothing about the Thai justice system/immigration system and their interaction. This would be a very minor thing in the west, but I've heard some pretty bizarre stories re: Thailand so I was a bit concerned.

Some of you are far too quick to jump on the offensive. I don't see what purpose posting 'Your mate is a knob' serves. It's a waste of your time and mine.

Any hotel property that was damaged was paid for by myself in cash without any protestation, although I was not responsible for any of the damage.

Sorry bro. It is what it is here.

By the way, the items thrown from the balcony didn't belong to the hotel. I believe the concern arose as it was potentially quite dangerous and I assume had to be cleaned by hotel staff.

The only thing belonging to the hotel that was (allegedly) damaged was the item of furniture. Although I believe it was already damaged when we checked in, I paid for it in cash to avoid any problems.

Sorry bro. It is what it is here.

Haha oh well.. I'll post a reply in a couple of months advising whether or not I was detained at the airport!

To sum it:

thrown items from the balcony.

Most probably damage furniture

Deny everything.

than give negative feedback to the hotel instead of being ashamed of the problems caused and the lying.

I think it is not easy to blacklist you, but I hope they can do it. People like you discredit all the other honest foreigner.

Don't worry Liam

There are many using this forum who married a bar girl, and sit at home all day in air conditioned rooms, waiting for the wife to come home after 'visiting' her Thai husband.

You can tell who they are very easily, their advice is usually limited to posting judgmental insults.

After all,what valid advice could a person like that actually give anyone else?

By the way, the items thrown from the balcony didn't belong to the hotel. I believe the concern arose as it was potentially quite dangerous and I assume had to be cleaned by hotel staff.

The only thing belonging to the hotel that was (allegedly) damaged was the item of furniture. Although I believe it was already damaged when we checked in, I paid for it in cash to avoid any problems.

Note that this wasn't clear from your opening post. You mentioned paying for furniture only, not for any items thrown out the window. Can we also summarize that when a person rents out an apartment, and the tenant throws stuff out the window, then the landlord will be less than ecstatic about the tenants attitude? (Regardless of the ownership status of any items thrown out? Trash perhaps?)

See, there is another example of the skewed attitude I already detected in the opening post: You rent an apartment --> You are responsible for any damages, no matter if it was the dried squid vendor's cat who did it.

As for confrontational comments here about your friend, you really say it all yourself:

The manager (accompanied by security staff) interrogated us all police style in an attempt to get us to confess to our misdeeds. At the time I was unaware that my friend had thrown these items from the balcony and vehemently denied all allegations. My friend later revealed that he had in fact thrown the items, although he denied it at the time.

The above is pretty much what it says in a dictionary when you look up 'knob'.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Don't worry Liam

There are many using this forum who married a bar girl, and sit at home all day in air conditioned rooms, waiting for the wife to come home after 'visiting' her Thai husband.

You can tell who they are very easily, their advice is usually limited to posting judgmental insults.

Can I call you next time I'm in need of a good psychic? I'll PM you a couple days before next month's lottery results. ;)

Sorry, but you are still responsible for the damage if you were a hotel guest and you signed the guest card, you certainly are responsible for the damage. It is called joint and several liability.

The manager could have called the cops then and there and had you taken away. In his eyes, he probably thinks he was being nice and in return you sent off a complaint that you term "negative feedback". One can only imagine what you wrote. The manager probably received complaints from guests about the noisy occupants in your room or in having to dodge objects being tossed off a balcony. There are two sides to every story and I don't believe you have been particularly honest about the events.

In respect to being blacklisted, it is highly unlikely. However, you might want to avoid the area where you stayed before. Not all farangs look alike to Thais and they do remember faces.

Don't worry Liam

It's certainly been quite a bizarre introduction to the website. Quite a few sociopaths seem to be doing the rounds on these forums.. Some very helpful replies though, for which I am grateful

Sorry, but you are still responsible for the damage if you were a hotel guest and you signed the guest card, you certainly are responsible for the damage. It is called joint and several liability.

The manager could have called the cops then and there and had you taken away. In his eyes, he probably thinks he was being nice and in return you sent off a complaint that you term "negative feedback". One can only imagine what you wrote. The manager probably received complaints from guests about the noisy occupants in your room or in having to dodge objects being tossed off a balcony. There are two sides to every story and I don't believe you have been particularly honest about the events.

In respect to being blacklisted, it is highly unlikely. However, you might want to avoid the area where you stayed before. Not all farangs look alike to Thais and they do remember faces.

I accepted the manager's position in relation the hotel furniture and immediately paid. Although I don't believe I caused the damage, he appeared to genuinely believe the damage had occured at some point during my occupation of the room and obviously I would thus be responsible for payment. Rather than getting into an argument, I paid and got over it.

My criticism wasn't in relation to the disagreement we had, it related to other facets of the hotel. I did briefly mention my disappointment w/ the hotel manager's attitude, though. It was private feedback (directly to the hotel), so it would not affect the hotel's reputation in any way.

I have no doubt the manager would have called the cops if he had a single piece of evidence of any wrongdoing. He did not, which is why he attempted to 'interrogate' us.

I will avoid the area of course just in case, it was a crap hotel anyway!

To sum it:

thrown items from the balcony.

Most probably damage furniture

Deny everything.

than give negative feedback to the hotel instead of being ashamed of the problems caused and the lying.

I think it is not easy to blacklist you, but I hope they can do it. People like you discredit all the other honest foreigner.

You're a clown.

Obviously you're unable to read properly. Rather than taking the time to read and comprehend the post you're responding to, you've immediately jumped on the offensive without any comprehension of the post you're responding to.

A) I did not throw any items from the balcony. At the time of being questioned, I was not aware that either of the two parties had thrown any items from the balcony. Hence, I denied the accusations.

B) I did not damage the furniture, but accepted the reasonableness of the manager's position that no damage had been detected prior to my check in, but had been detected on check out. Hence, I paid for the damages.

Back to Soi Cowboy you go, you blithering clown.

This seems to be almost an epidemic.