Ban Chang Move

Tarav

Hello!

I am seriously considering an offer to teach in Ban Chang area. I am currently living in Shanghai which obviously has a huge expat community and numerous things to do each night of the week. I have met amazing people from all over, but the big city is driving me crazy. I'm looking for a quieter town with warmer climate and beaches (moved to SH from southern Cali..). This great opportunity has come up to teach in Ban Chang, but curious as to what the city life is like- how easy to get around/best mode of transportation, what kind of expat or foreign population is there, average housing costs for studio/ 1 br, pollution and air quality, activities on weekends that are filled with Bangkok locals? I am a 24 y/o female and coming would be moving on my own, so also safety is a factor. Any kind of information is helpful really at this point to help me make the best decision possible. I have been to southern Thailand (phuket/ krabi), but not to the eastern seaboard. The people are great as well as the food and active lifestyle which is all a huge draw for me.

Thanks so much!

Hi, I don't live in the Ban Chang area, but I found it a friendly and pleasant place to visit, when I worked on that side of the country. There is quite a big expat community, but I don't know where they hang out exactly..? I have several friends who moved there from Bangkok, and they enjoy a better life there. As far as transport goes, it depends on your budget, but I would recommend a small car, rather than a motorbike..? There are several international schools there, and you will of course meet people through your work, who will steer you in the right direction. Sports clubs are always a good way to meet new people. I used to run with the Hash House Harriers, whenever I arrived somewhere new. Good luck, if you make the move. Thailand is a much better place to live than China..! :)

Hi there Tarav

I have lived in Ban Chang for nearly 15 years now and would not live anywhere else in Thailand

It used to be a very quiet little village but now we even boast out own Tesco lotus !!

Teachers here move around on motorbikes or their own cars

Rental for a bike is about 2,500baht per month or a small car 15,000

A small house (2 beds) on a local estate is from around 8,000 furnished lightly

A simple studio flat in town is approx 5,000

There are a few places to eat with a wide choice of foods available, sea food is of course available at the beach area's of which Ban Chang has 3 main one's, these are 95% populated bt Thai's who generally work in the area either at the Local refinery complex's or the military / government establishments, they tend to get busier over the weekends with Thai's from Bangkok who have apartments in the area

Of the expats down here I would say 75% percent are working expats, so generally there is no one around during the day just visitors from Pattaya who come over to play golf in the many golf courses that surround Ban Chang

There is a local out door council swimming pool which is available for use at 20baht I think, that is generally empty during the day and packed with local's once the sun goes down

We have never had any issues with safety that I am aware of

I will pass your post onto a couple of teachers in the area who may advise you direct

Which school are you thinking of joining ?

Best Regards

I have lived in Ban Chang for a couple of years now, there are 2 international schools within 5 mins town centre and many more within 30mins,

Ban Chang is a small town but with a strong ex-pat presence, the local bars and especially the Camel Pub serve good food at reasonable prices

and there are generally ex-pats congregating there. Being a young lady for discos and night clubs pattaya is 45mins away but there is a large amount of ex-pat teachers here

so I dont think there is a problem, its pretty safe here and generally shuts down around 11pm so if its lively your looking for this is not the place.

We are situated on 3 nice beaches, the water is not as clear as phuket and the beaches are very quite but the reason for the popularity is

firstly the retired ex-pats move here to get away from the pattaya madhouse ( this is me ) secondly for work at mabtaphut industrial area about 3miles away

and a large number of off shore oil workers live here, I think for the safety and security of their families whilst they are away.

I love it here but I,m a bloke and as long as theres a bar with football and food then I,m happy.

I,ve lived in thailand for 7 years in pattaya, north east, and whilst ban chang is not the prettiest of places it is certainly the nicest place I,ve lived here.

Hi there Tarav

I have lived in Ban Chang for nearly 15 years now and would not live anywhere else in Thailand

It used to be a very quiet little village but now we even boast out own Tesco lotus !!

Teachers here move around on motorbikes or their own cars

Rental for a bike is about 2,500baht per month or a small car 15,000

A small house (2 beds) on a local estate is from around 8,000 furnished lightly

A simple studio flat in town is approx 5,000

There are a few places to eat with a wide choice of foods available, sea food is of course available at the beach area's of which Ban Chang has 3 main one's, these are 95% populated bt Thai's who generally work in the area either at the Local refinery complex's or the military / government establishments, they tend to get busier over the weekends with Thai's from Bangkok who have apartments in the area

Of the expats down here I would say 75% percent are working expats, so generally there is no one around during the day just visitors from Pattaya who come over to play golf in the many golf courses that surround Ban Chang

There is a local out door council swimming pool which is available for use at 20baht I think, that is generally empty during the day and packed with local's once the sun goes down

We have never had any issues with safety that I am aware of

I will pass your post onto a couple of teachers in the area who may advise you direct

Which school are you thinking of joining ?

Best Regards

Hi Terev,

As people have already stated there are a couple of international schools. One is about 12km outside of Ban Chang away from the beach and the other is about 5km outside of Ban Chang towards the beach. You really need to get some form of wheels to get around otherwise taxis and stuff can be a bit of a pain.

Motorcycles are about 2500 baht per month and cars can be had a little cheaper at around 10,000,-12,000 per month if you don't mind having an older car just to get around in. A couple of my friends have rented these from contacts they were given at school.

One of the schools gives you accommodation about 4km outside of Ban Chang which altogether is about 9km away from school so you really do need wheels to have any independence.

Pattaya is only about 45 minutes away and Rayong about 30 minutes away so people sometimes go there at weekends to stock up on stuff or to catch a movie.

As stated above (below? where does my post go?) there are 3 beaches in Ban Chang but there is also a nice one about 20kms away as well. Koh Samet is easy to get to for a weekend break and if you do get some wheels then Koh Chang is easy to get to as well. Bangkok is only 2-3 hours away, depending on traffic and transportation methods when the small town really starts to get you down.

Having said all that Ban Chang is a nice quiet place to live and it is certainly nice to return to after a trip to Bangkok because of its laid back atmosphere and slower pace.

Thank you so much everyone for your input! Unfortunately I have to head back to the States for a bit, but am hoping to find a position in the fall. It sounds like a great place and I am anxious to be a part of the community!

Are there any pollution issues in Ban Chang? From the MapTaPhut Industrial Estate, for instance?

Not much, the wind is usually from the sea. Rayong (town) is getting most of the pollution.

true true there is not a pollution problem in ban chang with the gentle seabrease comming in all the time , and i live really close to the edge of the industrial estate

• 11 months later...

It has been a year and I am officially re-locating to Ban Chang after a nice visit with family and friends in the states. I have been offered a position at one of the International schools and am anxious to get back to Thailand! I still have a few months until I head out, but in the meantime any advice on what I should bring/pack or leave behind?? I'm hoping to have as few bags as possible..although I will be bringing a furry friend- advice on bringing a dog over would be helpful as well (or best ideas on where to put her/have someone doggie-sit while travelling?)! Also, are there house cleaners readily available and affordable in Ban Chang as in Shanghai?

Thanks, can't wait to see what it's all about!

The one thing to bring is a decent umbrella, cannot seem to find a good quality foldable one here. Is coming into the hot season here as well so light clothing, and possibly a light jacket for later in the year. For weather at Rayong http://www.tmd.go.th/en/province.php?id=55

Everything else is available here. I bought a small home theatre unit from Tesco Lotus and that does DVD, MP3, CD USB and I Pod for entertainment, was about USD200, any accomodation should have a TV, but Thai TV leaves me cold. Tesco Lotus is very similar to Walmart and does everything from fresh food to whitegoods. If bringing pet then a supply of heartworm, flea collar etc as can be difficult to source locally. The electrical supply in Thailand is 220v 50hz so the 110v 60hz appliances will not work here. International drivers licence is a good idea, makes it easy to get a local licence, if you have local licence this doubles as ID and you do not have to carry passport at all times (officially anyway).

I was looking at relocating to Ban Chang from Bangkok, but it looks like work changes has put paid to that idea for a while. You did not mention if you are looking for accomodation. If you are have a look at http://www.banchangrealty.com/ or http://www.rethai.com/ These are only a sample of several realestate agencies who cover the area.

Cheers