Double Entry Tourist Visa

Hi

I'm sure this question has been asked loads but I can't find the information I am looking for. I want to obtain a double entry tourist visa and I am under the impression that I would need to go to Laos for it. How would I do this going from Bangkok? are there any tour companies that do this as a package? or if I was to go by myself would it be safe (female travelling alone), if I went by myself where would I need to go in Laos? sorry I am completely clueless...Thanks for any info from anyone.

Yes there are tour companies doing that route - check google of classified of daily papers

Yes you would have to enter Laos and visit the Royal Thai Embassy there and spend on night (if no holidays) in Laos.

Yes it would be safe to do by yourself - hundreds do every week. Travel to Udon by bus, train or air or direct to Nong Khai (on the border) and cross bridge and Vientiane is a short ride.

it is quite easy to do it on your own but if you are completely clueless then it would probably be less stressful to go with a company that arranges everything for you. I looked into going to Laos on my own and could not be bothered with all the changes that it entailed....travelling to Udon by bus meant getting off one bus and crossing the town in a taxi to get to another bus station to go to the border, then a bus across the bridge (which everybody has to take if arriving by land) and then a tuk-tuk to the Thai consulate and to your hotel afterwards. Train journeys are quite slow and although there is a train (and a bus) that goes directly to Vientiane, you need to get a Laos visa before boarding these as they will not wait around at the border for people to get a Visa on arrival.

It might be that you are not as lazy or stupid as me though, in which case it is not that hard to travel alone. I went with a company whose vans leave from On Nut and was happy with the service, but I guess I shouldn't name them in case I'm accused of having an ulterior motive.

Thanks for the info, im also a bit lazy and if that tour company gives a decent price I would go with them to save the hassle...could you pm me the name of them? thanks

Is it accurate to say that the last day you are able to be in Thailand is 180 days after the ISSUE date of the visa? This would entail extending your visa 30 days twice and exiting Thailand at exactly 90 days? Is there a way to get a tourist visa which is valid for more than 90 days?

No that is not an accurate statement. You can not enter Thailand after the use before date on the visa but you can spend the full amount of time allowed by a visa stay and extension after entry regardless of when the visa was issued. No tourist visa allows more than 90 days without exit.

No that is not an accurate statement. You can not enter Thailand after the use before date on the visa but you can spend the full amount of time allowed by a visa stay and extension after entry regardless of when the visa was issued. No tourist visa allows more than 90 days without exit.

Now I am really confused. A tourist visa allows 90 days in Thailand without exit on a single entry correct? The same visa has a use before date of 90 days after issue?

Scenario 1: visa is issued on day 1 and I enter Thailand on day 1. On day 60 I get a 30 day extension. On day 90 I exit Thailand and return for another 60 day stamp. On day 150 I get a 30 day extension - which means my total time in Thailand is 180 days. Is this correct?

Scenario 2: visa is issued on day 1 and I enter Thailand on day 90. On day 150 I get a 30 day extension. On day 180 I have to leave Thailand becuase I cannot enter again because my visa is expired - total time in Thailand is 90 days. Is this correct?

I am trying to understant if it is more benificial to apply for a visa as close to the departure date as possible to get the longest use from the visa. This brings up the question of how far can you push the use before date out? Is a 90 day validity the max?

Thanks!

As the Thai Consulate in Laos issues double-entry visas with 90 days validity, it is fairly accurate to say that the last day you can be in Thailand is 180 days after the issue of your visa. The second entry must be made on or before the last day of your visas validity, which will give you 60 days in the country. This can then be extended for 30 days so, yes 180 days is right.

Applying for a visa in Laos is normally done by people who are already in Thailand and are just popping into Laos for the purpose of obtaining another visa though, so the issue of applying as near to their date of departure is irrelevant. If your local consulate issues double-entry tourist visas with a 6-month validity then, as lopburi3 says, it is not a big problem (as long as you are planning to enter Thailand within 3 months of the issue date.

Not trying to be a know it all better, but some people come into trouble with their permission to stay because they don't count correctly. Not realizing that the last day of an entry and the first day of a new entry are often the same day is a common mistake. Of course it would never happen to me ..........:whistling: