Being Inquisitive Does Pay Off In The Long Run; Thai Society

webfact

BURNING ISSUE

Being inquisitive does pay off in the long run

By Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation

Is Thai society in general too parochial to really care about what's happening in the rest of the world, especially if it's not in influential countries like China, Japan, the US or Britain?

I'm afraid the answer to this question is probably "yes", though I hope I'm wrong.

Last week, Chulalongkorn University's Political Science Faculty held a panel discussion on the political upheavals in Egypt and the Middle East. There were three panellists, and only one appeared to be an expert - except he was an expert on Kuwait, not Egypt. This academic also noted, in surprise, that this was the first time that the university's Institute of Security and International Studies had organised a discussion on the Middle East.

Later, during the Q&A session, there was a disturbing lack of critical questions from the audience. One reporter from a major Thai-language daily eventually asked: "How will the political changes in Egypt affect the Thai economy?"

Another member of the audience, exploiting the fact that one of the panellists writes about Thai politics, asked a question that had absolutely nothing to do with the subject at hand. The question was: "Will the red shirts take over Ratchaprasong intersection again this April?" Apparently, she was worried because she lives in the area.

Looking beyond the half-empty room, I realised a few alarming facts about Thailand:

- Many Thais study Chinese simply because of the job opportunities;

- We don't care or know much about our neighbours apart from taking the occasional trip or indulging in ultra-nationalist rants like "We want Preah Vihear Temple back!";

- The mainstream media, virtually concentrated in Bangkok, pays little attention to what's happening upcountry. Judging from the fat salaries earned by the owners and editors, they are obviously not losing money, yet they find having an overseas bureau either "not affordable" or "not interesting", and end up relying on wire agencies that mostly offer the Western perspective;

- When abroad, many Thais take photographs in front of signs or tourist attractions, as if screaming: "Look, I made it!" Package tours offering bargains such as "travel to nine European countries in six days" are not uncommon.

So, why do so many of us have the parochial mindset?

Is it simply because we're still a "developing country" - with too many poor people - to be truly cosmopolitan, members of the international community and global citizens, despite the exponential growth in the sale of smart phones and the rich middle class?

Or is it because the Thais are naturally pragmatic? Many students take up subjects like engineering, medicine, or god forbid, journalism, because they want to be rich and famous. The only problem is that their lack of love for the subject means they mostly end up as mediocre professionals. There are far too many people who simply want a job, not a vocation.

There seems to be little space in Thailand for inquiring minds or curiosity about other cultures, even though we know we can learn a lot from others.

Consider these two quotes from Middle East leaders, and see how they relate to Thailand:

Libyan leader Mu'ammar Gadhafi once said: "We burn no books in Libya. We simply withdraw certain books from libraries and bookshops."

Saudi Arabia's late King Fahd said: "If we were to have elections ... the winners would be rich businessmen who could buy the votes."

Too many Thais want fast results, an immediate impact, something that is quantifiable and concrete. Maybe we are too pragmatic to be urbane. Would it matter if this parochialism leaves Thai society impoverished in the long term? Is anybody bothered about it?

Also, out of this pragmatism, perhaps we will only be interested in answers to that one question: How will political change in Egypt (Bahrain, Libya, Yemen, Saudi Arabia etc) affect the Thai economy?

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-02-23

Or is it because the Thais are naturally pragmatic?

No, it's because the word 'why' is beaten out of them at a very early age.

I agree with this completely. But I have seen a gradual change in my wife. She has traveled outside of Thailand quite a bit and has lived in the US so her perspective is slowly broadening. 80% of the country is just trying to survive, and the so-called elite is poorly educated, uninquisitive, ignorant of the world around them and more concerned with what wrist watch they should wear. It's little wonder. In all the years I have been doing business in Thailand I have yet to meet a Thai business person that has impressed me on any level, especially on an intellectual level. I take that back - my wife's aunt is pretty sharp and runs a great little business, but she's a country girl. Maybe they should be running the country!

Barring backpackers from teaching/tutoring English to Thai students doesn't help in the equation.

Thailand should do all it can to facilitate farang becoming scholastically involved with young Thais. Screen the farang, sure, to gauge whether they're decent folk, and have what it takes to share their knowledge. Young Thais need exposure to others who are different and who can expand their horizons in wholesome ways.

I was lucky to have been brought up in a family which traveled from country to country, back and forth between US and Europe (and a couple side trips to Africa). I grew up with large maps in my bedroom, and I had a stamp collection - so (pardon my boasting), I probably have as good a handle on current and olde geography as anyone.

I lectured for awhile at a Thai university. For sure, the students were at a v. rudimentary level regarding world affairs and geography/geology (ask a Thai U student to name the four countries which border Thailand. Then ask them to name 2 major cities in each country, for example). Yet, I relished the challenge of doing what little I could to expand their awareness on those topics. Apparently, funding ran out for my position (that's what the faculty told me) or perhaps more realistically, I was exposing students to too many concepts which were outside the norm (awareness overload) - anyhow, the U let me go - and now they're back to Thai teachers teaching English by forcing students to study the most archaic, convoluted and silly aspects of English language.

Example: Deem it necessary, that thou shalt abuse me thus?

Not outlandish, as some English language reference texts in Thai schools are archaic, bordering on ludicrous.

Why? Yes that is quite the case.

But add to this, that the uber-nationalism and 'us against them' attitude that the schools beat into Thais from earliest moments, is equally responsible for Thais not caring much for anyone else out there. Not being 'Thai' they are not important which is how they are taught in those aging textbooks. Or like they are taught about their neighbors, less than worthy, and so why learn about the less than worthy?

That is the problem with top to bottom nationalism, it closes minds to the rest of the world, and that in turn limits awareness of the rest of the world, and the risks and opportunities that come with international interactions. Calling this parochial is being nice and kind, it goes far beyond that to the core learning methods of Thai society via the schooling system.

Edited by animatic

Nothing is beaten into children in school that isn't what the society thinks is important.

I read here that there are 23,000 Thais in Libiya. The were being evacuated (I think that plan changed because of fighting). Overall, 23,000 fewer remittances of money back to Thailand isn't significant, but coupled with 23,000 newly unemployed people returning to the country and multiplied by the numbers in other countries with political unrest, the impact could be significant.

Disruption of oil supplies and price rises will affect inflation and the economy.

Should this unrest continue, there could be an impact on other regional countries.

Oh well.....mai pen rai.

I'm tired of hearing about how Thais are "pragmatic" rather than "rational," - as if they are mutually exclusive, or exist in tension in some linear paradigm like this:

Thai Farang

<Pragmatic-----------|-----------------------------------------------------------------------|---------------------Rational>

The notion that a person can't be both rational and pragmatic is silly - one defines a aptitude for reasoning and the other a preference for outcomes. They are not directly comparable - and certainly do not exist in dichotomy!

Besides the fact that most people, from any country would regard themselves as pragmatic, Thais are not especially pragmatic.

What is the especially pragmatic about the obsession with ritualism and social hierarchy? What about the unhealthy nationalism so frequently observed by Thais and non-Thais? What about the preference for group decision making and divorced accountability that reinforces systemic failure? What about the specific issue of the need for foreigners to live and work in the country yet the practice of making that continually more difficult?

Those of you reading this who think I am marking Thais along some likewise linear paradigm of "Thai good" "Thai bad" and that I should "go home," I say to you: Go think.

I think Thai society is more the issue - non confrontational - ask a question that could cause disarray and it is against their sensibilities. Love the comment on the second question being asked about Reds - talk about trying to change the topic to get away from possible conflict!

The society has been taught for 3-4 generations to be Nationalist, in the post Siam period of 'nation building', so all but a few with off shore schooling, are molded to believe that ultra-nationalism is proper, normal and necessary, and so it becomes a snowball effect onward. Of course this just causes a national habit of navel gazing, to the exclusion of much else.

Edited by animatic

The problem is deeper than nationalism. Most Americans are brought in a culture of nationalism as well. George Washington never told a lie, for example. But as children grow, they are encouraged to ask why. They ask why at home and at school. We progress from the the Boogey Man and ghosts to Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny and then to National leaders. Slowly, we find out the first group doesn't really exist and the second group really did some not so nice things.

In Thailand a lot of questions aren't asked and a lot of issues cannot be discussed. Even the media, as we see in this thread, can't focus on an issue and discuss it critically.

Barring backpackers from teaching/tutoring English to Thai students doesn't help in the equation.

Thailand should do all it can to facilitate farang becoming scholastically involved with young Thais. Screen the farang, sure, to gauge whether they're decent folk, and have what it takes to share their knowledge. Young Thais need exposure to others who are different and who can expand their horizons in wholesome ways.

I was lucky to have been brought up in a family which traveled from country to country, back and forth between US and Europe (and a couple side trips to Africa). I grew up with large maps in my bedroom, and I had a stamp collection - so (pardon my boasting), I probably have as good a handle on current and olde geography as anyone.

I lectured for awhile at a Thai university. For sure, the students were at a v. rudimentary level regarding world affairs and geography/geology (ask a Thai U student to name the four countries which border Thailand. Then ask them to name 2 major cities in each country, for example). Yet, I relished the challenge of doing what little I could to expand their awareness on those topics. Apparently, funding ran out for my position (that's what the faculty told me) or perhaps more realistically, I was exposing students to too many concepts which were outside the norm (awareness overload) - anyhow, the U let me go - and now they're back to Thai teachers teaching English by forcing students to study the most archaic, convoluted and silly aspects of English language.

Example: Deem it necessary, that thou shalt abuse me thus?

Not outlandish, as some English language reference texts in Thai schools are archaic, bordering on ludicrous.

A sound analysis.

Thais are subliminally paranoid about losing their identity. Something that I can understand after having to move their capital from the original location to the current one after being raided by the Burmese repeatedly. Thais in the 21 century have a mindset somewhat of Thais living during the time of King Narai 600 years ago. It is not a surprise that the laws that are consistently enforced (even with draconian jail term for overstayers) are the Immigration laws. It all has to do with foreigners polluting the country's soul with their Western ways. Yet another reason they are not inquisitive. Another factor is the mantra that to complain is not polite. That presupposes an attitude of not correcting what is wrong of not improving what is deficient and to do nothing about it is OK. It is true that Thais are not the only ones who choose a profession for its financial appeal and not because love of the avocation. It is prevalent in many parts of the world. What is uniquely Thai is their propensity to shoot themselves on the foot. The Red Shirts do it to themselves, The Yellow Shirts do it to themselves, the government does likewise. How can it be understood as a pragmatic and enterprising attitude to make the lives of visitors, retirees or tourists more difficult with the many restrictions when the country depends on a nearly 10% of their GDP from tourism? They miss out on opportunities to move forward because saving face is of paramount importance in their psyche. Thais are reactive and not proactive. The reason they wait for something to happen to tell them what they have to do next, if ever. A recent example is the tourism slump after Yellow and Red Shirts shenanigans. To solve that slump a "brilliant idea" came to the fore: give free visas to the vast majority of tourists that would get them free anyway. Not only that the school system traditionally has omitted chapters of history but also is not interested in making Thais to awaken to their own mental potential. What do you do to prevent a bird from flying away?

To bar those who can come from developed countries to teach and bring Thais knowledge and advancement, not only in English, to a higher lever is blatant common sense that escapes Thais.

I was discussing the events in Libya with my wife this morning. I commented on the rise in the oil price this has already caused and remarked that if Saudi Arabia goes the same way we will have a massive world crisis on our hands. Her reply was that there is nothing we can do about it so what's the point in worrying? My wife by the way is a dentist who has travelled outside of Thailand many times so I thought to myself that perhaps there is something in the native mindset which turns off all curiousity when considering matters not strictly parochial.

To break out of this mindset takes effort and as with the Truman show Truman had to paddle very hard in order for his boat to reach the edge of the filmset.

Cultural traditions can be good to some degree, but like everything, they can be overdone.

Thais are great at rituals, and then cementing those rituals to where they fudge other things up.

Take Songkran for example. What started as a Buddhist day of sprinkling drops of water - as a sign of respect, became a two week long splurge of assaulting others by throwing bucketfulls of water. Overdone, to say the least, and it hamstrings the economy, not to mention contributes to scores of deaths and injuries and destruction of property. New Year Eve week is becoming that way, without the bucketfulls of water.

They're also great at ritual mandates, such as showing up to dress/act the proper way at a funeral or paying obeisance to an entrenched politician (even though they may not give a hoot for the deceased or the politician being honored).

Ritual ritual ritual ad nauseum. Rituals for their orthodox religion, rituals for royalty, rituals for nationalism. Yet, if a town tried to organize festival to encourage inventions, innovation, or creative art, geography, geology, biology, alternative energy, astronomy .....no Thai would show up. It's simply not on their ingrained calender of rituals.