Suvarnabhumi Airport: A Bad Experience For Travellers

webfact

Sorry, I don't get it.

I've never had a long wait at the airport clearing immigration and customs in Suvaranabhumi. Rather the contrary - it's about the fastest I've ever cleared. Try the lines in New York. And in China they met us with drug-sniffing dogs.

And I've never had a hard time getting a metered taxi there, once you know where they are - and they've always been in the same place every time I've gone through the airport for the last three years.

As for the food, I've never seen an airport where food wasn't grossly overpriced compared to the local economy. A cup of coffee at the airport in Miami is $5.00.

If you think the touts are bad here, you should try the airport in Delhi or Mumbai. You haven't experienced what a real tout is like until you've been to India.

-Your comment about the taxi always being in the same place is simply A FALSE STATEMENT. I have witnessed myself the change of location at least 4 times, and I have not been travelling every single months for the past 3 years so I would have to assume that they might have been moved even more than 4 times AND THERE WERE NO SIGNAGE for the (ha ha temporary) change of location.

-Your comment about immigration time is also border line ridiculous, sure, it does not always take an hour but for you to say that they are "the fastest I've ever cleared" : either you have been through there once and you got lucky OR you are sharing FALSE information once again

-Your comments about the food & the touts are plain silly - Bangkok is not Miami, the price comparison is not even appropriate...Sure there are more touts in India, and so? that makes the crowd of touts at the Bangkok airport a good thing? You can always find worse somewhere else. Obviously there is something "you don't get", and that's the concept of feedback.

OVERALL you sound like some defensive airport representative. Unfortunately you are making FALSE comments in the process and that is just unacceptable!

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the toilets are dirty.

last time i went through there, it was over an hour in the queue for immigration (arriving and departing).

i usually don't eat there.

i'm usually in transit, so have not had to deal with the taxis or the train thingy.

but being a transit passenger (PER-CNX) regularly i prefer going through SIN than BKK. why?

if i get stuck in transit for a few hours, in SIN i can:

clear immigration quickly, get on a train that takes me quickly, cheaply and comfortably somewhere (or anywhere in Singapore for that matter) i can get some good food and drink. then get back to quickly go through immigration without risk of getting stuck in queues or missing my plane. try do that in BKK!

or i can choose to stay in the airport:

I can watch a movie at the cinemas in T2 or T3.

I can browse the interent anywhere as it is free throughout the terminal.

I can shop (or window shop). i guess it is possible to do that in BKK, but it's apples and oranges.

and they are forever changing singapore airport, so everytime you go through there is something new and interesting to see.

I agree with the people that say, when compared to other airports worldwide (delhi, hethrow), BKK isn't that bad. BUT, the goal when they built Suvarnabhumi was to be THE transport hub in Asia, so it has to compete with SIN, HKG, KLIA... I'll keep transiting through SIN unless I really have to transit through BKK.

Definately the worst airport in the world

I've been through alot worse Heathrow for example

Wow, we got all the way to post 21 before the Heathrow moaners reared their ugly head.

I love the way some people seem to think that if they name a situation that is worse than the one under discussion it invalidations any criticism of said situation.

It's a completely illogical argument.

"A is bad""Yes but X is worse so A isn't bad at all" - arai-wah?

Edited by Deeral

How old is Heathrow ???

You are bett of asking this question...

HOW LONG WAS ' S' airport in the Planning, then add the Total time of start to finish construction/ doors opening for business ?:whistling:

All in all,,, it's quite an old Airport DESIGN wise, without all of the ' scams'etc...

I have been thru' worse airports !!!<_<

Swampy is just grossly mismanaged - they should put the management out for tender but only Thai's can get the job thus waste of time - until they start cleaning out the corruption behind the running of the airport - nothing will fix the passenger flow thru entries and exits. Lack of common sense is a great task in Thai education. And logic simply does not exist.

All the problems are so easily solved. But things like immigration - just a few more booths open during peak flight times (logical) and things will vastly improve the speed. My APEC card flies me thru in minutes - always - so if you are able to obtain one - the $200 for three years is well worth while apart from the saving on visa costs like China, Vietnam etc. It also tags you to a Thai Non Imm B Visa so it is a 3 years expiry to correspond with the Non Imm. All else - just wait your turn.

But back on Swampy - where monopolies exist, (AOT, Kind Power etc) there will never be fair trade and the money Swampy makes also comes from screwing labour thus the results. Reap what you sow.

Edited by asiawatcher

Maybe a bit harsh evaluation but it's certainly not the best. Another quotation also took my attention: "Why didn't they look at Singapore or Hong Kong in their design of Suvarnabhumi airport?". Because Thais know better.... and really, often they do, but surely not in the design and layout of modern airports!

The entire article is correct, absolutely correct. I would even add the arrogant attitude of the security staff, their blatant impoliteness and the non-sense reason for many of their actions and orders! I openly question the utility of these people and the "added value" they bring to the operation of an international airport. Crime happens under their eyes from all sorts of airport-related staff but they prefer with macho-style to harrass simple passengers in sending them for long detours because they believe that this or this escalator cannot be taken anymore (sic?) OF COURSE FOR SECURITY REASONS.

There is so much more to tell...

Postsoftgeorge, on 2011-03-02 08:40:46, said:

I travel to manila every month, now that old airport REALLY is worse than good old swampy, paint peeling off, business lounge not much larger than a telephone kiosk, even more scam taxi drivers, no decent food outlets at all.

BTW, just where does one pay to get the buggy ride to immigration; thought these were only for old and infirm, which I am not

There's a couple of meet-n-greet services that for upwards from 1200 baht will speed you through check-in, Immigration to your departure gate AS WELL AS meet you on arrival at the gate and take you through the Immigration, baggage claim to whatever ground transport you seek. Several recent threads on these, search a bit.

Talking of Manila, I was on a Thai Air delayed departure from that sh!thole last week and a Business Class traveler with a very tight connection arranged for a buggy to whisk him to his connecting flight on arrival in BKK. If you are in a hurry, are in the right travel class or have Royal Orchid or Star Alliance Gold status, you can ask for a 'fast-track' before the plane takes off.

I would refer you to the fact that so many Changi lovers fail to mention, Changi handles MUCH LESS passenger volume than any of Bangkok's airports have ever done

um, not quite much less... they are actually on par with passenger volumes.

BKK 38,565,626 vs SIN 37,974,903 last year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_busiest_airports_by_passenger_traffic

It's one of the better airports. Of course, minor problems will always happen. Somehow most people in this forum only want to critizise anything here in Thailand. Why do you come here?

Are you the kind of farang who cannot accept any critics on Thailand ? Did you become more Thai than Thais ? some are here to work , to spend retirement , to enjoy life .. Any critics are good to take and we learn by making mistakes. why you come here if you dont like to see critics ?

Are you saying you made a mistake coming here.

I might not like some things they do here but that is my problem not there's. As far as I am concerned they are different. When I apply my western standards I am just asking for trouble. the first thing I would have to ask is why did I come here?:(

When I accept that they are different neither right or wrong I am a happy camper.:)

As far as the airport go's it is not in my opinion the worst or the best. I once stood in a line to get to the boarding gate in San Jose (not sure of the spelling) Calf. for a hour and never would have made my flight if they haden't come down the line picking the passangers out who were on the next flight. The longest I have ever waited in immagration was in Vancouver BC

There are problems in many airports around the world and because of the size and amount of traffic they handle there always will be.

For my self I don't like the top floor it is like a giant Cosco with inadequate seating for people between flights and waiting for check in.

People can complain about the cost of food and commodities being abnormal high. And they are rite in comparison to outside air port prices. But then compared to other air port's prices they are not that bad.

For myself I would appreciate the opinion of people who travel a lot and have been to many other air port's. I am sure they can tell of a lot better and a lot worse.

But for some reason looking for a balanced opinion on this board is not easy to do.

There are complainers on this board who if pushed would have to admit they have not had any problems some of the time they used Swampy. But that is not in there nature just complain is all they do.:(

In conclusion I believe there is a lot of room for improvement. But it is not as bad as some would have us believe.

The price of food is my main complaint, 350 baht for fast food meals which cost 120 outside. Also find it a chore battling through the myriad touts and scammers and distinguishing the legit services from those.

Apart from that it's fine, works like any other airport.

Whingers will whinge.

Actually, one aspect of the old Don Meuang was definitely *unlike* most other airports: the great food court near the walkway between the domestic and international terminals (on the int'l side), prices (and food) just like any unpretentious little food court in any older Thai mall...plus, you could cross over the highway and be in an actual Bangkok neighborhood, and get food, a massage, etc., and almost-local prices, sigh. Though of course, airports in the middle of cities are a fast-disappearing thing, with a few exceptions left like Midway in Chicago and LaGuardia in NYC in the States...

For those of you that don't know, there is a food court at Suvarnabhumi. It's located on the ground floor at the far end of the terminal and you can get a typical Thai food court meal there for 40-50 Baht.

That's good to know. Actually my last flight I stopped over in Singapore and they have a reasonably priced food court too. You take the elevator up where the electronics facilities are (Xbox, TVs etc). Helps to have some SG currency but they can convert.

I hope the Thai court is also within the checked-in area.

Damaged bags, did the damage happen here or at the airport of destination?

Here.

I usually bring back some food from the States, and on three of my last four trips, I have had broken bottles or crushed cans which had just happened. I am not talking about wine bottles and things like that. I am talking about small bottles of BBQ sauce or liquid smoke. Or Mountain Dew. If a can opens back in the US, by the time you get to Thailand, there is nothing left to show except for the empty can. But at Swampy, I can see the Dew leaking out of my bag, and when I check, the can is crushed, not just opened. Since the Dew has not had time to evaporate in the low pressure of the cargo hold, and the liquid is all still there in my bag, it happened at Swampy. Or the neck of a BBQ bottle is broken, but most of the sauce is still in the bottle.

Swampy sucks. Incoming immigration is not too bad, but outgoing? &lt;deleted&gt;? I have to wait 90 minutes so they can check if I have overstayed my visa or something?

Swampy is not the worst airport in the world, but it was supposed to be Thailand's Hong Kong or Inchon (Seoul). It can't hold a candle to them.

how about packing the stuff better, maybe use some bubble wrap, over the past 4 years I have been bringing breakable work sample (bottles) into BKK and NEVER had one single one broken

Used to be good when you had to pay 50 bht for a taxi chit and a guaranteed taxi metre ride then it went backwards. Speak to whoever engineered that step back.

So now i cart my bags after clearing customs up to the departure floor where the taxis arrive and grab one no problem then, they have to move on quick so normaly they dont argue about the metre.

Also helps if your with your thai partner but experienced travellors to thailand know the ropes about taxis this metre stuff is a part of the game.

Not so good for the new kids on the block.

Nice at Moochit Bus Station now if you travel sombat tour you arrive back at bk at the terminal with taxis outside toilete and food and seating inside a luxury now for bus travelling around thailand.

As for the food price, to expensive yes but airports all over the world rip you when you want to buy anything and I think the rents they would have to pay for airport shops would be extremely high.

Example: Omega 3 oil capsules sold in shops in town in Auckland $12.00 a large bottle of 500.

At the Auckland airport Duty Free on my last stroll out they were $40 dollars same brand!

Duty free wines cost more at duty free airports than they do at country of origin local shops.

So buy your snacks outside the airport but if your a smoker then they are still priced ok.

The price of food is my main complaint, 350 baht for fast food meals which cost 120 outside. Also find it a chore battling through the myriad touts and scammers and distinguishing the legit services from those.

Apart from that it's fine, works like any other airport.

Whingers will whinge.

For food and drink at normal prices go to the Magic Food Point next to Exit 8 on the ground floor.

I've been through alot worse Heathrow for example

Wow, we got all the way to post 21 before the Heathrow moaners reared their ugly head.

I love the way some people seem to think that if they name a situation that is worse than the one under discussion it invalidations any criticism of said situation.

It's a completely illogical argument.

"A is bad""Yes but X is worse so A isn't bad at all" - arai-wah?

Well said. The topic is not about finding worse airports.

Feedback including negative feedback IS healthy. That's where improvements come from.

The topic is also about the fact that S airport sold itself as one of SE Asia's best...if not as THE BEST airport in the region.

well, with such an arrogant attitude, it is normal that they are taking a bit more heat and criticism than old airports not pretending to be the S***. Afterall being "the best" comes with high expectations from customers.

Having been through a fair few airports in my time, they vary greatly and not one is seemlessly perfect.

Sticking just to the big hitters, the finest in terms of passenger flow planning, shopping and eating would be Hong Kong and Singapore.

If you want to look at the "ought to know better" culprits, ie those from whom you'd expect a better effort then look no further than the Federal Republic of Vaguely Connected Airport Terminals which calls itself Heathrow or how about JFK for uninspired, hope-you-don't-get-delayed drabness because if you get stuck there it's like being in the waiting room of teenage accesories, donuts and burger hell. It's been mentioned before but a big tongue needs to be stuck out at CdG Paris for being the ugliest, most poorly designed major airport in the whole history of forever. In France no less!

Yes, so they're older than BKK and I'm not going to defend BKK's Suvarnaphum because they have messed up on so many levels and for so many reasons, tea-money springs to mind but it's not that big of a disaster. Walks can be long, immigration queues can be long, food can be pricey (hey, get some fish n chips at Harry Ramsdens at Heathrow, but bring a mortgage guarantee...).

Best airport on the planet? Zurich.

maybe 30 flights a day?

I have not read the whole post, but in case it has not been mentioned, lets not forget this little jewel of a scam.

I haven't bothered to read the whole thread but I will just copy/paste this regurgitation of local travel non-events just to up my post count.

Thanks for that.... NOT.

Swampy ain't the best and ain't the worst airport in the world....I am normally through there 3 -4 times a month.

I think the worst problem is the lack of consistancy of the services....travel 1 week very good, following week very bad..

To me the best airport I have been through by a long shot is Changi

this airport never a problem for me. try LAX and you'll know what a shit airport really is.

You are missing the point.

We have all tried shit airports. ok. great. By the way there IS worse than LAX.

Should we list them all?

LAX was not built recently advertising it would be the best in the entire North America region. Did it?

That's the topic.

having travelled in and out of Suwannapoom more or less monthly for many years, I have to agree with most of the article. What really amazes me however, is not mentioned:

Since we are arriving at or leaving from "The land of Smiles", one would kind of expect the people at immigration to stand out as friendly service minded individuals. But compared to all other countries in Southeast Asia, including the green communist soldiers of Vietnam, the staff behind the counters at Suwannapoom immigration (and mostly at other entry points to Thailand) are the grumpiest looking, least communicative I have encountered in this rather friendly part of the world. It doesn't have to be like that, does it?

Costco is far more well organized and their toilets are always immaculate!

Good brief synopsis of the myriad of problems besetting the "Showcase of Asia" or whatever other BS titles it's been bestowed to this airport resembling a giant Costco store.

Would personally add that is often uncomfortably warm, particularly on the upper floors, to the list.

I've been thru the new airport dozens of times, and noticed nothing in regards to what the OP wrote about. I just see short lines at immigration, decent selection of food and gifts (often sold at the exact same prices as say PanTip plaza) and metered cabbies that offer no hassles whatsoever. Perhaps it's my karma?

If you really wanna complain about airports, pick any American one - I could back u up there :)

Recently went through Little Rock, all airports should be like this one.

What a lot of nonsense, Swampy is a great airport in comparison with other busy airports.. There are 7/11 shops where everything is very reasonable.. where else in the world can you find a 7/11 in an airport..? As for the walk to immigration, for a small fee you can be picked up in one of the small electric carts and taken through fast-track immigration. As for taxis, go upstairs to Departures same as in any airport and take a cab that has just dropped someone off.. easy.. Also the BTS is great now , fast and cheap to the city. If you have a lot of luggage, a taxi is needed.. Same as anywhere in the world, you cannot take many bags onto a train.. thats a personal choice..! Some people like to complain about anything.. Well done the Swampy management team... immigration are a law unto themselves but at least you can make your re-entry visa there now... And the Duty Free is the cheapest in Asia... at least for Jonnie Walker and Jack Daniels... Has anyone been to Charles DeGaulle... now that is a problem airport... try it..! and as for walking ...try Schipol Airport in Amsterdam, thats walking..!!!

I would refer you to the fact that so many Changi lovers fail to mention, Changi handles MUCH LESS passenger volume than any of Bangkok's airports have ever done

um, not quite much less... they are actually on par with passenger volumes.

BKK 38,565,626 vs SIN 37,974,903 last year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_busiest_airports_by_passenger_traffic

... what part of TRANSIT PASSENGERS in my post do you not understand?

I am always happy to land at Suvarnabhumi Airport. It is a bit far too walk, but after sitting a few hours in an aircraft I am happy to exercise a bit.

About food prices: just don't eat there, I am sure that rent is expensive.

I go to Thailand to get away from the big city in America, Europe or India, so I just put up with the Thai flavor. It is a lot in a person ATTITUDE.

Cheers

having travelled in and out of Suwannapoom more or less monthly for many years, I have to agree with most of the article. What really amazes me however, is not mentioned:

Since we are arriving at or leaving from "The land of Smiles", one would kind of expect the people at immigration to stand out as friendly service minded individuals. But compared to all other countries in Southeast Asia, including the green communist soldiers of Vietnam, the staff behind the counters at Suwannapoom immigration (and mostly at other entry points to Thailand) are the grumpiest looking, least communicative I have encountered in this rather friendly part of the world. It doesn't have to be like that, does it?

lol - come on ! i live in Ho Chi Minh and go through that airport 3 times a week, and go through BKK 2-3 times a month, and coming back to HCMC feels like you are going to be executed while waiting for your passport to be checked - both ways. Yes you can have grumpy people in BKK too, but most of the times a smile will always be returned by the staff allover the airport including immigration.

No way you can say that vietnam is better than LOS, airport, peoplewise or countrywise........

No mention of the rip-off duty free prices.

I was so happy when the courts kicked out King Power a couple of years ago, but this is Thailand, and I think we all knew it would never really happen - too much profit involved!

Duty free is supposed to be for the benefit of the passenger, but Thais simply think it's a licence to print money.

OK, so knock off the duty and increase the profit. After all they are only rich foreigners with money to burn - so they won't worry......

It seems often cheaper to buy in Bangkok - but then we can't get it through the security system....