Cambodia Says It Is Ready For Observers As Thailand Dithers

webfact

Cambodia says it is ready for observers as Thailand dithers

By THE NATION

Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen yesterday piled the pressure on Thailand regarding the stationing of observers at the border to monitor a permanent ceasefire in the area adjacent to Preah Vihear Temple.

"I appeal to Indonesia, if Thailand is hesitant about observers, then please send them urgently to the Cambodian side at the disputed border area," Hun Sen said during the celebration of the 13th national cultural day at Phnom Penh's Chaktomuk Hall.

Thailand and Cambodia agreed during an informal meeting of Asean foreign ministers in Jakarta on February 22 to allow Indonesian observers to assess the situation after a border skirmish on February 4 to 7 killed some 10 people including three civilians on both sides.

Indonesia, as chair of the Asean, sent the terms of reference (TOR) related to the observers to Thailand and Cambodia last week.

On Wednesday, the Foreign Ministry's permanent secretary Theerakun Niyom said that Thailand was still studying the TOR and the ministry needed to consult the military on the procedure. He added that Thailand would need time to study the TOR, since Indonesia had not set any deadline for response.

In comparison, Cambodia has already told the Asean chair that it has accepted the TOR. "We took no more than 24 hours to reply, and provided the 14 points for Indonesian observers to follow. We will make further concessions if necessary," Hun Sen was quoted as saying by Xinhua news agency. "The observers can extend their terms after 12 months."

Thailand, however, does not seem to have any common ground as far as the TOR is concerned. Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha said earlier that the military would not allow Indonesian observers into the "disputed area" near Preah Vihear. He said Thailand wanted to discuss the TOR with Cambodia at the meeting of the General Border Committee (GBC) before it makes any decisions. The military-run GBC, jointly chaired by defence ministers of Thailand and Cambodia, is scheduled to meet in June.

Hun Sen responded: "If Thailand does not want observers, Cambodia will receive them."

Thailand is showing reluctance because its demand to settle the boundary conflict via bilateral mechanisms has not yet worked, while Cambodia has managed to put the issue on the international forum via the United Nations Security Council and Asean. Hun Sen has insisted his government would not negotiate with Thailand on the border dispute.

"I confirm that if you [Thailand] want to negotiate, you have to ask Indonesia, the Asean chair, to convene a meeting. There will be no bilateral negotiations," he said. "We will only cooperate with Thailand in terms of economics, trade, investment, tourism and so on, but negotiations over the disputed area must be overseen by a third party."

The UN called on the conflicting parties to establish a permanent ceasefire and urged Asean to implement the plan.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-04

Oh ye brilliants minds of Thailand , pray tell me what use are observers of a dispute when they are not allowed in the disputed areas , how else can a dispute be apportioned ? They are still back in ancient history where most issues were settled with the use of arms , grow up and face what ever comes in the enlightened mode of open dialogue , or are you a feared that some of your in-disgressions will come to light in the eyes of the world ?

This lame duck government just keep trying to deflect their guilt on many matters in the hope that it will all be forgotten or the people can be brainwashed, well that might work with many Thais (and many farangs on here sadly), but it does not work in the wider world or amongst the more educated.

There comes a time when you have to stand up and be counted, you can't keep running from your responsibilities for ever, and it seems as time is going on something is happening, something that many of us already knew, they are more and more being backed into a corner where all the shit they have caused will be waiting for them, and there will be no more running and hiding, or trying to divert the blame.

It is easy in Thailand for them to control the press, control the dissenting voices with a bullet, but try and control people outside of Thailand and they just get laughed at with their immaturity and pointless arguments.

This lame duck government just keep trying to deflect their guilt on many matters in the hope that it will all be forgotten or the people can be brainwashed, well that might work with many Thais (and many farangs on here sadly), but it does not work in the wider world or amongst the more educated.

There comes a time when you have to stand up and be counted, you can't keep running from your responsibilities for ever, and it seems as time is going on something is happening, something that many of us already knew, they are more and more being backed into a corner where all the shit they have caused will be waiting for them, and there will be no more running and hiding, or trying to divert the blame.

It is easy in Thailand for them to control the press, control the dissenting voices with a bullet, but try and control people outside of Thailand and they just get laughed at with their immaturity and pointless arguments.

Excellent post. +1

We need some time to cover what the observers shouldn't observe because our slip is showing. :rolleyes:

just like they have managed to delay the censure motion by another week so they can all get their answers straight / hide what they need to hide, and who delayed this? yes you have guessed it, the house speaker who just happens to be the father of a leader of one of the coalition parties :rolleyes:

A third party mediator is a disaster if your true agenda is to prevent negotiations getting anywhere because a third partty can and will record answers they were given and a tissue of mistruths and obstruction will soon unravel. Cambodia are completely correct that bilateral negotiations will not work because in those circumstances the Thais won't actually negotiate but stall indefinately instead.

AWARD... Best post of the day....so far

What category and how many raspberries?

AWARD: Outstanding contribution towards re educating brainwashed Thai Visa contributers and for demonstrating a full knowledge of the political situation in Thailand.... We will have to abbreviate to engrave on the plaque

Since this post got an award, let's have a closer look at it's contents. Before we do though, just to remind readers, posts here on TV mostly represent opinions of a poster not necessarily backed by facts. Some even go so far as to say 'I think', or 'this I believe'. Some though tend to base their statements on what they call 'facts' without proof that indeed it is a fact, which makes the whole construction a bit shaky.

'lame duck government' - Correct, the government nears the end of it's tenure and probably will call early elections six months before needed by law. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lame_duck_(politics) )

'deflecting guilt on many matters' - This needs elaboration, too general to comment on. That means the rest of the sentence cannot be commented on either at this stage.

'second paragraph' - Starts with a philosophical observation, followed by a continuation of the 'deflecting guilt'. Again without a proof of deflecting guilt and it seriousness no further comment possible.

'control the press' - True, unfortunately not just this government, previous governments same or worse. Mind you the opposition is countering with insinuations, 'burn-it-all' videos and the hilarious masterful Robert A. report.

'control by bullet' - A statement which is not backed by fact, to be ignored.

'try and control outside Thailand' - No proof the government is doing this, rest of sentence therefor to be ignored.

Conclusion: I do not presume to know all answers. Go and do some reading yourself, dear audience :)

Edited by rubl

Don't worry, I am sure people still love you also :whistling:

I'm not sure how this 'issue' metamorphosised itself into a bad government vs by implication good opposition one. The Thai government is trying to position itself on the fence between the ultra-natinalist PAD loons and the political opportunist reds, whose leader would no doubt sell his granny for a fiver and no doubt horse traded the temple area for personally favourable recompence when in office.

You can't negotiate with Thailand on a national basis as there is no consensus of position within Thailand itself, I don't suppose an election will change this but we will at least change the subject to debate when the election pantomime is out of the way.

Yes indeed, my mother for instance. Mind you, I'm not sure what that has to do with the award, category and raspberries you have been honored with?

Yes indeed, my mother for instance. Mind you, I'm not sure what that has to do with the award, category and raspberries you have been honored with?

The only raspberry appears to come from you, a died in the wool yellow democrat supporter, but no surprise there really

The only raspberry appears to come from you, a died in the wool yellow democrat supporter, but no surprise there really

I'm indeed a democrats supporter and seriously dislike communists and left/right-wing nutters. I'm therefor no supporter of PAD/NTP/UDD/other factions. Currently I can be admired in pink, but looking for orange.

-- from your local Dutch uncle :)

Hun Sen, a former Khmer Rouge and a self-serving despicable political gangster has consistently out-thought and out-manoeuvred the Eton/Oxford educated career politician Abhisit!

Yes - academia does not, a worthy opponent, make!

"The Thai govt., needs more time to study the proposal" well is'nt that just typical, i have seen this reply over and over again, just hanging out for time. That answer is this government's standard answer to anything and everything, but this time they are dealing with foreign authorities and have made themselves look stupid and they deserve it ..............how about that for "loss of face" :lol: :lol: :lol:

How obviously right you are RANDOM, how right you are ! :rolleyes:

"The Thai govt., needs more time to study the proposal" well is'nt that just typical, i have seen this reply over and over again, just hanging out for time. That answer is this government's standard answer to anything and everything, but this time they are dealing with foreign authorities and have made themselves look stupid and they deserve it ..............how about that for "loss of face" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keep in mind that any reply has to be screened carefully otherwise either the opposition PTP or those loonies of red/yellow colour will file dozens of cases with any court or commission they can find ;)