Construction Blog...Modern/Contemporary Steel House

beechstreet

My wife and I are building a "Modern" or "Contemporary" house in Nonthaburi....Just wanted to share a link for our blog: http://www.ifitsaperfectday.com/

I realize it isn't the style of most Thai Visa members but figured someone out there might find the approach interesting. We are both architects (licensed) from the US, but she's Thai and I've been here long enough to know that we have an uphill battle. We aren't trying to break the Thai system or impose our American standards (insert scatological pun here), but we do think that there are smarter ways to build in this context. For us this house is a step towards finding those ways and we hope that when the dust settles we're a little bit smarter.

The building is just under 300 square meters which is divided into living space, a design studio and a metal/wood/ceramic workshop. Our structure is steel moment-frame with hollow core slabs and light gauge metal framing. The goal is to build a light weight, well insulated building with a structure that allows for maximum future utility. We hope that our design practice takes off in which case the whole building could convert to office/studio. But if the practice dwindles and the family grows nurseries and playrooms can be added within the existing structure. Or if we skip town altogether the whole thing can be converted to small retail/rental units.

Since we were designing the house for ourselves we don't have any of the usual renderings or presentation models...just lots of rough study models. I've included a photo of one that represents the overall design the best (but doesn't really represent materials and finishes). The basic approach was to take cues from the original thai house and just follow the guidelines for good design in tropical climates.

I've gathered a lot of good info from this forum so if anyone has questions let me know.

post-63101-0-60555000-1299602190_thumb.j

I figured Naam was just being overly critical, but it does remind me of a horse stable for some reason. However, it does appear to be a good design as far as practicality goes. I will be following your blog though as I like reading about new ideas. Thanks for sharing.

no offence meant, but do you think anybody but you would like to live in this... thing? :unsure:

Ha! None taken Naam.

I realize that it's appearance (certainly in this model) might not be appealing to most, but I hope the way it works is universal.

Horse stable is a new one! I like it. Father-in-Law says it looks like a school from this side and a factory from the other...which is apropos since the house is just a machine for living.

For more confusing architecture I recommend...http://www.archdaily.com/category/houses/

And for some good humored modernism bashing...http://unhappyhipsters.com/

I figured Naam was just being overly critical, but it does remind me of a horse stable for some reason. However, it does appear to be a good design as far as practicality goes. I will be following your blog though as I like reading about new ideas. Thanks for sharing.

One would have to see the dream house he had built from the house he had in Florida. Tough to compare anything to his Casa!