Study At Kinsey Institute

tombkk

This is not the freshest news, but I just came across it:

Researchers found that 7% of adult women and 8% of men in the US indentify identify as gay, lesbian or bisexual. We recently had a discussion inb which we said these terms don't really apply in Thailand.

Furthermore, they found that 15% of the men aged 50-59 said they had received oral sex from another man at some point. It doesn't say in the newspaper article how many of these men identity as gay or bi, but it suggests that men identifying as straight fall under this figure. It doesn't say whether they enjoyed it, but it does question the the thinking in categories.

Are these men now not straight any more? Or is it OK for a straight man to get a BJ from a guy? Is a BJ not sex, as we learned from an encounter of the president of a famous country with his intern?

Questions over questions.

It's interesting how many men who have been married and have children come to Thailand in their 60s, and come out as gay. I wonder what they would have identified themselves as when they were married (and happily married, if the people I'm thinking of are any guide).

It's interesting how many men who have been married and have children come to Thailand in their 60s, and come out as gay. I wonder what they would have identified themselves as when they were married (and happily married, if the people I'm thinking of are any guide).

I know a few too. Always made me wonder.

Did they change? How can you change, considering it's not a conscious decisoon?

Or were they gay all the time but did not know it? How can you not know you are gay?

I am not sarcastic, I am genuinely interested. Maybe we have a member here who was happily married and found out that he as gay at an advanced age.

I don't think many in the academic world take the categories of gay/straight very seriously, except as artifacts of the forces of socially constructed identities. The gay category was the undesirable Other of the social world. The 'straight' was a carefully disciplined body kept in line to maintain the economically and socially critical marriage insitution along with the production of the docile economic man. The 'bi' was added later as the categories started to fall apart. And as for women... the mainstream academic opinion is to not put them in any categories-- they are, in a sense, all lesbians... and straight.

A modern test includes categories as 'ambisexuial', 'polyamorous', 'supersexual', heteroflexible and so on. The old categories rested on an intense interest in the male phallus. It could not conceive of wishing to have sex with a man unless there was an intense interest in the phallus. The new categories invite a more bright way of thinking.

If you want to know how to understand your own sexuality then try this:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dEJTVHRRRmJkRUpUR3c1VnpxeTZZX0E6MA

The test will reveal how, typically, sexual interests overlap-- it is plausible to be three at the same time.

Explanation of types is here: http://flexuality.wordpress.com/take-the-test/

So when you talk of 8% or 10% or anything else, I recoil with laughter. The figure of men who have sexual interest in other men is around the 70 to 80% mark, but it all depends what 'sexual interest' means. My point is trying to demarcate on a percentage for those interested in men/having had sex with me/wants to have sex with men, simply makes no sense. It ends up a tortuous charade of no insight.

:jap:

Edited by Gaccha

A modern test includes categories as 'ambisexuial', 'polyamorous', 'supersexual', heteroflexible and so on. The old categories rested on an intense interest in the male phallus. It could not conceive of wishing to have sex with a man unless there was an intense interest in the phallus. The new categories invite a more bright way of thinking.

If you want to know how to understand your own sexuality then try this:

https://spreadsheets...1VnpxeTZZX0E6MA

The test will reveal how, typically, sexual interests overlap-- it is plausible to be three at the same time.

Explanation of types is here: http://flexuality.wo.../take-the-test/

Thanks great, thanks!

So when you talk of 8% or 10% or anything else, I recoil with laughter. The figure of men who have sexual interest in other men is around the 70 to 80% mark, but it all depends what 'sexual interest' means. My point is trying to demarcate on a percentage for those interested in men/having had sex with me/wants to have sex with men, simply makes no sense. It ends up a tortuous charade of no insight.

:jap:

Remember it's not me who says that, but a study by the Kinsey Institute. I had earlier questioned the categories commonly used, at least for my experience in Thailand. The Kinsey Institute resarched only in the US.

The author of your link, Dr. James W. Hicks, creates some interesting new words. I like that but fear that there will be evenmore categories now. Anyway, I'l like to read more of his publications, this sounds interesting.