Three Life Sentences And Death For Thai Serial Killer

webfact

Three life sentences and death for serial killer

By Kesinee Taengkhieo

The Nation

Serial killer Somkid Pumpoung Monday was sentenced to life for the June 2005 murder of a cafe singer in Trang's Muang district.

At the Ratchadaphisek Criminal Court, the public prosecutor said that Somkid, 42, who allegedly robbed and killed five sex workers, strangled Patcharee Amataniran and made off with her Bt1,000 mobile phone and Bt2,000 cash.

The court considered evidence and testimony from both sides and ruled that Somkid was guilty of stealing from and murdering the victim. He was sentenced to life and ordered to pay Bt700 restitution for lost property to the victim's family.

This was the fourth murder case against Somkid in which the court has passed down a sentence.

Somkid already faces life imprisonment for the murder of a Mukdahan cafe singer, life imprisonment for the murder of a traditional masseuse in Buri Ram, and a death sentence for the murder of a traditional masseuse in Lampang.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-21

He gets 3 life sentencves and the death penalty...somehow, i dont think he will be too upset about having to fork out 700 bhat !!! What an insult to the girls parents

The Cambodian joke for 50 above outlaw ain't as good as this Thai Joke. Hahah.............Really amused...

Amazing siam...

So when does he recieve the death sentence? When he's finished the life sentences?

Am I right in thinking that he killed 5 sex workers, also a Cafe singer + two traditional Masseuse? because the last three don't sound like sex workers to me.

jb1

With the state of the police in this country, just think about how many serial killers there must running lose, killing people most Thais don't care about and/or hiding their crimes.

Not that funny. :vampire:

Just because it is a joke it don't have to be funny.

But you gotta remember it is Thailand where anything goes.

There was more justice at the OK Corral.

Edited by VictorOne

With the state of the police in this country, just think about how many serial killers there must running lose, killing people most Thais don't care about and/or hiding their crimes.

Any evidence to support this or is it wild speculation?

Any evidence to support this or is it wild speculation?

I would say speculation. But maybe not so wild.

jb1

Can't really see any reason not to carry out death sentence on this guy rather than keep him around and continuing cases against him. Just have him confess to them all and then carry out his just deserts. Some may argue he is mentally unstable but in this instance seems there is no remorse and only gloating. It is also an insult to adjudicate a 700 Baht payment for loss of a phone. How stupid. Bury him and soon and save court costs time and labour and get the police back on doing something good.

Don't worry he'll probably be out on bail in a week or two judging by the way the justice (sic) system works here in Thailand.

Not likely if he is robbing people for 1000 Baht telephones .... he's broke.

Anyway, you don't buy your way out of the system AFTER you receive a death sentence ... too hard to explain away ...

Don't worry he'll probably be out on bail in a week or two judging by the way the justice (sic) system works here in Thailand.

the legal system in Thai ain't that bad...........

after the verdict you still can appeal 2 times. But buyin' a judge is quite hard to do so..

they didn't mention about appealing.

Didnt he kill someone in a hotel in Udon Thani as well? I do recall that - perhaps it was the Karaoke singer.

They may refer to all as sex workers, because the masseuse was from a "soapy" massage, and because you can often "bar fine" girls from the Thai Karaoke places, or make arrangements with them after work for services in exchange for money. Not all Thai Karaoke places are like this, but many are. You dont think those pretty girls worked for the 2-300b per night they get paid alone, did you?

Prostitution is not isolated to Farang, infact the Thai side is much more rampant, just less obvious because of many people partaking in the activity (which is legal in my country). Most Farang just dont see it, because they think Thai men actually pay money JUST to have the girl sit and drink with them - in most cases its much more than that.. theres a reason the girl walks the guy out of the bar when he stumbles out drunk.

Edited by TheGhostWithin

His surname is 'Monday'?

At the Ratchadaphisek Criminal Court, the public prosecutor said that Somkid, 42, who allegedly robbed and killed five sex workers, strangled Patcharee Amataniran and made off with her Bt1,000 mobile phone and Bt2,000 cash.

The court considered evidence and testimony from both sides and ruled that Somkid was guilty of stealing from and murdering the victim. He was sentenced to life and ordered to pay Bt700 restitution for lost property to the victim's family.

So, 3,000 baht loss is worth 700 baht? Sorry, I don't get it. Must be my hangover. Hicks. :jap:

So does the guy get to keep the victim's stolen mobile phone??? :unsure:B)

Seems he could use it in jail to arrange the delivery of drugs, or plan his escape while his jailers are out for a break. Happens all the time, by the accounts we read here.

BTW, I too was trying to figure out whether the OP news report was referring to "traditional masseuses" as sex workers, or there were additional victims (not yet adjudicated) who fit into the more traditional SW mold.

Not likely if he is robbing people for 1000 Baht telephones .... he's broke.

Anyway, you don't buy your way out of the system AFTER you receive a death sentence ... too hard to explain away ...

So there is no chance of a reduced sentence because of good behaviour?

His surname is 'Monday'?

Pumpoung is His Middle name .......... haha........

tha man is obviosly guilty, why give him a chance of death sentence? if it was me i would choose that over life in thai jail.

Nah, he's not the son of some wealthy family with a name so he'll probably die in jail. On the otherhand it would be interesting to see what would happen if you had a sadistic kid from a wealthy & powerful family as a serial killer. Would the Thai police act like a reverse-CSI and just follow him around cleaning up the evidence letting him rape and pillage the commoners?

His surname is 'Monday'?

Pumpoung is His Middle name .......... haha........

tha man is obviosly guilty, why give him a chance of death sentence? if it was me i would choose that over life in thai jail.

Hum..... Yep, being in Thai Jail is a hell like.....

but later on he will get used to it..

I don't know one thing, if he will be released again after sometime cos' the loophole in the legal system.... Or he behaves good ....

They try to give people a lot of chance to live.....though..