Overstay By Immigrations Mistaken Date!

:o Today I was into the Alanyaprathet Immigration to apply for my third one year extension based on support for Thai wife and I was told that the Immigration in Bangkok gave me 25 days extra last year, so for the past 25 days I have been in Thailand without visa and I'll have to pay 200 baht a day for that mistake! The lady cop phoned many bosses in and around and I will have the final verdict tomorrow morning! Is that really possible, being almost unbelievable for me since I have dealt with those people for 15 years now. What should I do?

I would do what they say to do. But what exactly happened? Your expiration date will always be the same date year after year once you start the extensions so if Bangkok stamped the wrong date it would be your responsibility to make sure it was right the same as when entering the country and a mistake is made. I would try to look at it on the bright side as 25 days is not too much cash (5,000 baht) - 100 days would be a lot more.

But maybe tomorrow will bring good (better) news.

I'm sure lopburi is right, the best course of action is to simply pay the overstay fine (should it come to that). Still, it seems a trifle disingenuous that you should be responsible for their mistake. By all rights, immigrations should simply eat this one - no harm, no foul, but I suppose that's not likely to happen since that would be a loss of face for them.

You could appeal it to the boss at Suan Plu.

His name and address should be at the bottom of the large board detailing the

rules and regulation, on display in the office where you go.

Maj Gen Hemmeraj, if I remember rightly.

Thats what I love about Thailand, when a farang screws up, make sure they pay, when a Thai screws up, find a farang to pay

:o

Governments world wide do the same. Its not a Thailand specific problem.

Nonsense, if the UK makes a mistake and vertaxes you, if can show they are wrong they will refund you, many governments pay compensation when their actions cause hardship to civilians

Thats what I love about Thailand, when a farang screws up, make sure they pay, when a Thai screws up, find a farang to pay

Nonsense, if the UK makes a mistake and vertaxes you, if can show they are wrong they will refund you, many governments pay compensation when their actions cause hardship to civilians

Note the term "worldwide" in Samran's post. Last I heard the UK didn't set the rules for the entire planet.

:D

except when it is an overpaid child tax credit that they force you to pay back…just to be a bit pedantic :o

I would do what they say to do.  But what exactly happened?  Your expiration date will always be the same date year after year once you start the extensions so if Bangkok stamped the wrong date it would be your responsibility to make sure it was right the same as when entering the country and a mistake is made.  I would try to look at it on the bright side as 25 days is not too much cash (5,000 baht) - 100 days would be a lot more.

:D What went done was this: the former incompetent officer in the extensions office was replaced by a "do it by the book" young female just out of school. The earlier officer was a very kind almost retired man who always tried to help the falang. He told me that Bangkok gave me 25 extra days because it took four months to process my application for the 2nd extension. Now the new officer says that is impossible and not according to the LAW! My old date was on September 4 for the expiration of the visa, but Bangkok granted me September 29, so now that makes my last stay 364 days (1 year) plus 25. Tomorrow, I may suggest they give me 25 days less the coming extension, but as others have said they don't ever admit mistakes or clerical errors! Thanks for the help! I'll keep you'all posted.

Interesting co-incidence. My annual extension is always til July 13.

This time immigration gave me July 31, 06.

Perhaps they want to make it til the end of the month? :o

Labour dept. wouldn't have anything of this and extented the WP July 13.

Soon will apply for re-entry, wait and see. :D

I would do what they say to do.  But what exactly happened?  Your expiration date will always be the same date year after year once you start the extensions so if Bangkok stamped the wrong date it would be your responsibility to make sure it was right the same as when entering the country and a mistake is made.  I would try to look at it on the bright side as 25 days is not too much cash (5,000 baht) - 100 days would be a lot more.

:D What went done was this: the former incompetent officer in the extensions office was replaced by a "do it by the book" young female just out of school. The earlier officer was a very kind almost retired man who always tried to help the falang. He told me that Bangkok gave me 25 extra days because it took four months to process my application for the 2nd extension. Now the new officer says that is impossible and not according to the LAW! My old date was on September 4 for the expiration of the visa, but Bangkok granted me September 29, so now that makes my last stay 364 days (1 year) plus 25. Tomorrow, I may suggest they give me 25 days less the coming extension, but as others have said they don't ever admit mistakes or clerical errors! Thanks for the help! I'll keep you'all posted.

Good luck Ron ( and Axel )

:o Today I was into the Alanyaprathet Immigration to apply for my third one year extension based on support for Thai wife and I was told that the Immigration in Bangkok gave me 25 days extra last year, so for the past 25 days I have been in Thailand without visa and I'll have to pay 200 baht a day for that mistake!  The lady cop phoned many bosses in and around and I will have the final verdict tomorrow morning!  Is that really possible, being almost unbelievable for me since I have dealt with those people for 15 years now.  What should I do?

I had a mistake like that made by Don Mueong Airport once but I asked about it before the initial expiration date they stamped in my passport. They were able to fix it and restamped my passport with the correct date with a note inside. It was Aranypreth Immagration (located next to the police station) who fixed it.

Least people be misled...the cap is still 20,000 Baht no matter what the guys in brown say :o

Least people be misled...the cap is still 20,000 Baht no matter what the guys in brown say :D

20,000 baht is all they should say :D that is, 20k is all the receipt will show :o

He told me that Bangkok gave me 25 extra days because it took four months to process my application for the 2nd extension.  Now the new officer says that is impossible and not according to the LAW!

...and as we all know, Thais are generally real sticklers for following the letter of the LAW. :o

I would try to look at it on the bright side as 25 days is not too much cash (5,000 baht) - 100 days would be a lot more.

Tell me about it! After my first year and a bit of living in LOS, my employment agencies incompetance and lack of understanding of their own law, had me overstay my visa 92 days. After immigration told me I owed them 18,400 baht, you could have understood my anger.

Admittedly there was some oversite on my behalf but that was just naivety, and I followed the instructions given to me by my employer. Back then I also didn't know about TV.

Now I only listen to myself and the good advice posted on TV.

Interesting co-incidence. My annual extension is always til July 13.

This time immigration gave me July 31, 06.

Perhaps they want to make it til the end of the month?  :o

Labour dept. wouldn't have anything of this and extented the WP July 13.

Soon will apply for re-entry, wait and see.  :D

I would make very sure to request extension prior to July 13th as I am sure they transposed the numbers setting the rubber stamp. Very easy to do. I suspect that in the case of OP the four extensions may have caused the problem and officer used the date of one of them instead of the yearly extension of stay date.

Let us say what we want, but that Bangkok Immigration office opened a

counter for correcting mistakes done at Bangkok aiport must have a reason.  :D

If I'm not mistaken, they've also opened a new window to service customers who have had mistakes made by the counter that corrects mistakes done at Bangkok Airport. I'm not sure of the reason. :o

Let us say what we want, but that Bangkok Immigration office opened a

counter for correcting mistakes done at Bangkok aiport must have a reason.   :D

If I'm not mistaken, they've also opened a new window to service customers who have had mistakes made by the counter that corrects mistakes done at Bangkok Airport. I'm not sure of the reason. :o

Hey I was at the counter were they sold french fries , but i got a sausage instead :D

Were do i complain ??? :D

:D Today I was into the Alanyaprathet Immigration to apply for my third one year extension based on support for Thai wife and I was told that the Immigration in Bangkok gave me 25 days extra last year, so for the past 25 days I have been in Thailand without visa and I'll have to pay 200 baht a day for that mistake!  The lady cop phoned many bosses in and around and I will have the final verdict tomorrow morning!  Is that really possible, being almost unbelievable for me since I have dealt with those people for 15 years now.  What should I do?

I had a mistake like that made by Don Mueong Airport once but I asked about it before the initial expiration date they stamped in my passport. They were able to fix it and restamped my passport with the correct date with a note inside. It was Aranypreth Immagration (located next to the police station) who fixed it.

I was just reading thru this thread. It reminds me of an incident that happened to me several years agao. I had a 60 day visa, but it was accidentally stamped for 90 days (dated 90 days for expiration date) at the border entry. I presumed that since it was stamped 90 days, it was good for 90 days. THAT IS NOT SO. It was a 60 day visa, the fact that Thai Immigration stamped it 90 days verses 60 days was not an excuse. As the Immigration told me on my exit, I was responsible for my visa status, including any errors they made. However, he did agree not to make me pay a fine, but still stamped an overstay in my passport on leaving the airport.

Since that incident I have been VERY careful to check vidsa and date stamps in my passport.

Bottom line.....YOU are responsible for what THEY stamp in YOUR passport.

Governments never make mistakes they simply make proceedural errors.

If you must sin against God's law or the government,s law....break the government's law. God has been known to forgive sinners who repent, but governments never forgive errors.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

You need to check this stuff.. used to love working at a bank in one of them "edukated ferst werld cuntries". Some bozo loaded up the ATM with the wrong notes... many people withdrew thinking it was their 2 for 1 lucky day.

They didn't seem to feel so happy when we put most of em into OD (them be students) 2 months later.

Their fault too.

By law.

... As the Immigration told me on my exit, I was responsible for my visa status, including any errors they made. However, he did agree not to make me pay a fine, but still stamped an overstay in my passport on leaving the airport.

Since that incident I have been VERY careful to check vidsa and date stamps in my passport.

Bottom line.....YOU are responsible for what THEY stamp in YOUR passport.

Governments never make mistakes they simply make proceedural errors.

If you must sin against God's law or the government,s law....break the government's law.  God has been known to forgive sinners who repent, but governments never forgive errors.

TGhe government is never wrong. BTW, when you fill in a form, you do apply for a visa to stay so and so many days.

If, by mistake, they give you more days than it is your mistake. You should have complained for getting more than you asked for.

Does this make sense? Yes, of course. :D

:D:D:D First the monks came early for the food, but not at the usual place, but right in front of my house where the wee misses was lighting the joss sticks. Her sister then gave the food packs and the monks chanted, then we drove into the Immigration Office greeted by a smiling Officer who had been rather glum the day before when she told me I had to pay 25 days overstay. She said Bangkok had cleared my situation, and I didn't ask what the reason was, as I didn't much care. The Officer joked and laughed with my misses about "Buddha knows what!" I guess somebody up there likes me because she quickly accepted my disarranged papers, not enough copies of this and that documents including my old Embassy Certificate and stamped my passport for 30 days to wait for the extension. One interesting note was that my misses forgot a bottle of something or other on the desk, but we didn't go back to claim it! They are not all that bad, but they like you to come back the next day, of course demonstating who is in control there, I would imagine. This is not my last hurrah! :o