Can You Explain These Gadgets To Me In My D-Max?

So, I just picked up a second hand 2007 D-Max LS 3.0 Cab 4 from a dealer here in Bangkok. The dealer had no clue as to what any ofthe installed aftermarket accessories were except the Locktech PedalLock. This is my first diesel vehicle I have owned, and my first vehicle in Thailand that wasn't a plain company supplied vehicle. This truck did not come with any kind of owner's manual. Can I pick up a manual from the Isuzu dealership? Is there a repair manual for it in English, such as a Haynes or Chilton? I have no idea what the maintenance schedule is, what fluids to use, etc. Also, I briefly looked to see if the engine has been chipped, but I couldn't see any obvious added wiring and I didn't take off the engine cover. I looked because it seems to produce a lot of black smoke on acceleration but no Check Engine lights, and also it seems to have quite a bit more torque and acceleration than my company supplied 3.0 Toyota Vigo 4 door I drove a couple of years back.

Can someone please enlighten me as to what the purpose of some of these switches and gauges are? I know that I can take this into a shop that deals in vehicle customizations and ask, but I just got this truck today and thought I would ask here first. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Refer to the photos for these:

Accessories Large Size.pdf

1. Sits next to the gear selector. This looks like a gear lock, such as for towing. I had one on my Chevy Tahoe in the US, and it keeps the truck out of overdrive when towing a heavy load. Is this correct? This one looks factory installed.

2. This is a digital gauge, but it hasn't come on yet. There doesn't seem to be a switch to turn it on. It has L m R on it, I assume Left Middle Right? What is this for?

3. Ok, this is the Racetech PSI gauge for the turbo charger. I understand what it does, but why is this important to me?

4. These two switches sit to the lower left of the steering column. The lower box is a simple On/Off switch with a green LED next to it. I have not touched this, and the LED is always a constant green.

5. This saysTurbo Timer on it. It is usually a 0 when driving, but I have seen it go to a 1 under heavy acceleration. I also have not changed this switch position.

6. This is the Locktech Pedal Lock. It is made in Thailand, and it disables the starter when engaged. It has a pedal visible in the photo, similar to the brake pedal. I am assuming I depress this and it locks the vehicle down, then I use the supplied key to unlock the wheels and disable the starter kill. Does it lock all four wheels? Can it be easily removed, because it seems to get in the way of some of my shoes while I drive.

7. This actually looks factory installed also, but I have changed the position while driving and it seems to have done nothing. I thought it might be for the foglights, but it didn't switch them on or off. The fog lights are activated on the factory switch on the Turn Signal Indicator stalk on the steering column along with the headlights.

I used to be such a gear head, and now feel quite silly not knowing what these things are, but otherwise I love the truck. If anyone wants to physically inspect the vehicle with me, then the beers are on me.

Cheers

John

http://www.mrtrally....ce/whytimer.htm turbo timer explained.

3RD START MODE provides non-slip starting on slippery roads

i suspect the little power switch may be a bed light, but not sure.

Nocturn, thank you so much. Actually, you gave me relief. Today, driving the truck I wanted to see what it had and drove quite fast on the motorway. When I turned off the truck, it kept running! i was shocked, because I had the key out. I thought something was wrong, but your link for the Turbo Timer explained it all. Thank you.

Sound's like this one has been chipped. If it's been done well you wont find the Chip without a search. Have had mine done and If you lift the Hood/Bonnet you will see nothing. You have to take the glove box out and know what you are looking for. Go have a real look. If you cant find it contact the last owner. Interesting to know the outcome.

Sound's like this one has been chipped. If it's been done well you wont find the Chip without a search. Have had mine done and If you lift the Hood/Bonnet you will see nothing. You have to take the glove box out and know what you are looking for. Go have a real look. If you cant find it contact the last owner. Interesting to know the outcome.

I thought the chip would be in the engine bay connected to the commonrail. Can you give me some detail on what to look for? I cannot contact the last owner, I picked it up used from a second hand dealer, and there was only the previous owner's name. The dealer did not want to give me his contact information when I asked about the installed equipment in the truck.

I thought the chip would be in the engine bay connected to the commonrail. Can you give me some detail on what to look for? I cannot contact the last owner, I picked it up used from a second hand dealer, and there was only the previous owner's name. The dealer did not want to give me his contact information when I asked about the installed equipment in the truck.

Mine was done by conecting to the main wiring that came through the bulk head engine side re-taped then threaded back inside, all you can now see under the bonnet is well nothing. If you look behind my glove box you can see two thick wire's "grey" but as there are hundred's of them they just blend in. They inturn go to the box that can be anyware. Sorry to be a bit vague, but my box "Gold" is now down behind the plastic riser that run's up from the bottom of the foot well Passenger side. That's on a Fortuner. Same as Vigo. Start by looking behind the glove box. My box is about 6 inche's x 4 x 1 but some are much smaller depend's on power output. It'll give you something to do over the weekend. Best of luck. Let us know how you get on.

It does seem that your truck is not standard. Otherwise there is no real reason to put in a boost gauge. The standard turbo on your Isuzu gives a max boost of about 14 psi when pushed. You would probably reach more than that with a different turbo. Take a look at your turbo, I assume you know where it is, and then compare it to one on another car similar to yours. You can also then compare the engine bays (take pictures) and see if there are differencies anywhere.

The switch #7 could be an on/off to regulate if you want to run your engine with all the power available or if you prefer (f.i. if you take the car to Isuzu for service) to run it in more or less standard power. Also if you have a wife or gf who drives it, you may not want them to accidently use too much power.

A simple test for switch #7: Drive at around 80kph with the switch in Off position and feed the throttle down to the floor (no kickdown)and keep an eye on the boost gauge and how high it goes. Then slow down, turn #7 to ON and do the same again.

Does the boost gauge go higher and do you feel the car's acceleration is stronger and more powerful? If it is, then you have the answer to the use of switch #7. If there is no difference either way, I have no solution to write here.

It does seem that your truck is not standard. Otherwise there is no real reason to put in a boost gauge. The standard turbo on your Isuzu gives a max boost of about 14 psi when pushed. You would probably reach more than that with a different turbo. Take a look at your turbo, I assume you know where it is, and then compare it to one on another car similar to yours. You can also then compare the engine bays (take pictures) and see if there are differencies anywhere.

The switch #7 could be an on/off to regulate if you want to run your engine with all the power available or if you prefer (f.i. if you take the car to Isuzu for service) to run it in more or less standard power. Also if you have a wife or gf who drives it, you may not want them to accidently use too much power.

A simple test for switch #7: Drive at around 80kph with the switch in Off position and feed the throttle down to the floor (no kickdown)and keep an eye on the boost gauge and how high it goes. Then slow down, turn #7 to ON and do the same again.

Does the boost gauge go higher and do you feel the car's acceleration is stronger and more powerful? If it is, then you have the answer to the use of switch #7. If there is no difference either way, I have no solution to write here.

Thanks for the advice. You were somewhat correct, the #4 switch disables the piggyback chip. Turning it off eliminates the black smoke and and definitely reduces power. I still don't know what #7 does after playing around with it. Well, I guess I know what all but that last switch does. Thanks everyone for your help.

Cheers

Thanks for the advice. You were somewhat correct, the #4 switch disables the piggyback chip. Turning it off eliminates the black smoke and and definitely reduces power. I still don't know what #7 does after playing around with it. Well, I guess I know what all but that last switch does. Thanks everyone for your help.

Cheers

F/G Did you locate the chip If so where???

Cheers

F/G Did you locate the chip If so where???

I never had the time, I was caught up working all weekend. I tried testing the switch today on the drive to Chon Buri and it indeed disables the chip, as there is a noticeable drop in power and black smoke. With the switch off, the turbo boost still kicks in, but much less on the gauge then when the switch is on. I need to have it tuned, and have been talking with philipm from Monster P Industries to take it into his shop and have it tuned to reduce the black smoke when the chip is active.