Cheap Fun For Kids?

SteeleJoe

My breathtakingly tightfisted (but goodhearted noetheless) wants to take my kids (or all of us) to do something and knowing that we are on the tightest of budgets these days and have splashed out a LOT for her visit, insists on paying. I am certain she will be surprised at what it will cost and change her mind but who knows? Maybe one of you can surprise me...

Cheap fun for 2 young kids (7 and 2.5 yrs old) in Bangkok. That's what we're looking for (more emphaiss on cheap than fun I'm afraid; but they get a privative pool, video games, literally hundreds of animate films and cartoons, and dozens of toys for 10 days; they'll have plenty of fun.) Anyone got an idea or two?

As always, any help will genuinely appreciated and gladly returned in kind...

Edited by SteeleJoe

JFYI it's not even as expensive as that if you show Thai Id such as a Thai drivers license or work permit the price is much less as that is the English page I posted.

But now I've just checked again and unlike last time there doesn't seem to be a different price page only the one with the special promotion and I know they have other packages so I'm not sure maybe a phone call would get more info.. I don't know how many of you there are but $200 would be more then enough for a nice day there generally speaking..

We went last year, 4 of us didn't spend $75 and had plenty of fun.

Edited by WarpSpeed

catch the train somewhere. Go to Authaya for the day or something.

If that is too far. Rot Fai park in BKK, just behind Jatuchak is good value. Hire a bike, with kids seats. Ride around, have a picnic, or just get food from the market there.

The Children's Museum in Bangkok is excellent and cheap, maybe free, I can't remember. It's educational of course, but there are lots of sensory and fun activity areas for young kids. One floor I remember has Dinosaurs and another has lots of play equipment.

I was going to suggest the science museum as well. It's not far from Dream World, and it will be very cheap. Kids are free, I think adult tickets are like 70 baht to visit all of the museums.

OK, maybe not as much fun as an amusement park, but it is something different to do, and they might have one or two things which would occupy the kids for at least 5 minutes.

http://www.nsm.or.th/nsm2009/english/index.php

Dreamworld.....Disney Jr. park..

Believe it or not, I don't think Grandma wants to spend even that much ($200 for all of us). But it would be a good one....thanks.

Dream World is much cheaper for Thais. You are looking at the farang prices. Just have a Thai buy your ticket and nobody pays the farang price. Your driver's license works too if you really care. Entry is cheap...like 150 baht per person. I think a pass for all the rides is around 350 baht. You can, of course, share 1 pass amongst yourselves so everyone can go on some of the rides. For 6 people I would suspect your total bill would be around 2500 baht.

The toy floor at Central Chidlom department store - at the back is one of those ball-thowing-climbing frame-slide cage things, as well as building blocks & tables, a play house etc. Think it's about 40 baht for as long as you like. Kids must wear socks, so take these with you or they'll sting you another 40-50 baht per pair.

A bigger and better version of the above is Funarium on Sukhumvit Soi 26 (you can google it). I think older kids would like this one better as it's got more space than the Chidlom one, and also the space. I think they also need socks for this one too.

Believe it or not, I don't think Grandma wants to spend even that much ($200 for all of us). But it would be a good one....thanks.

Dream World is much cheaper for Thais. You are looking at the farang prices. Just have a Thai buy your ticket and nobody pays the farang price. Your driver's license works too if you really care. Entry is cheap...like 150 baht per person. I think a pass for all the rides is around 350 baht. You can, of course, share 1 pass amongst yourselves so everyone can go on some of the rides. For 6 people I would suspect your total bill would be around 2500 baht.

I always pay exactly the same as the Thais do at DreamWorld, been there several times alone with my daughter, there is no separate pricing (that I have ever experienced).

My experience is that you have to have a Thai buying the ticket at Ocean World and Siam Park but not at Dream World

Edited by MikeyIdea

SteeleJoe - Cheap wonderful fun for the day - this one is a win - win. Fun and interesting for the kids as well as for grandma

Take a long ride on the Chaophraya river - dirt cheap, very interesting and fun

There are many piers, I usually start from Oriental Pier at Oriental Hotel (River City has a pier too), just ignore the private tour offers and take the standard ferry to Nonthaburi, 20 bath someting per person (children half price - no farang pricing), takes nearly an hour to get there.

Get off at Nothaburi and go back (south) 200 meters and there is a cheap restaurant by the river side (the only one). Have a nice dinner, then take the boat back again

Lovely trip taking more than half the day, done it many times. Highly recommended cheap entertainment

Dont worry about grandma getting a seat, someone will stand up and offer her seating for sure

Edited by MikeyIdea

Eastern side

I like the Ancient city in Samut Prakarn but not if you have to pay farang prices of course - show your work permit or speak fluent Thai and you get Thai price - must bring car in, too hot to walk... Farang price too expensive, not worth it

The crocodile farm is 300 bath for Thais (their web site says that if farang can speak Thai, then he gets Thai price :) ) and it is good but expensive entertainment. Farang price too expensive, not worth it

Bangkok

Dusit Zoo has been fixed up and is worth a visit, it's pretty nice now. Farang prices yes but can't remember how much (100? - 20?). Still worth a visit on farang prices

Great stuff people, thanks.

• Been to the Children's Museum with the boy but that would be worth doing again especially with his little sister along.

• Very good to know that Dreamworld and Croc farm can be done cheaper (my wife is Thai and my thai is fluent enough to be thought Thai when on the phone so one hopes that will get me Thai prices).

• Grandma and I have done the boat trip a few times but the kids haven't hadn't even thought of that and it's a good one.

• Zoo is a regular stop: nice but maybe not different enough to make it a special day.

• We regularly use those places at department stores -- the boy likes them and especially loved them when he was small (and I was even poorer) I think the girl is ready for it too.

• Funarium I heard about ages ago and i couldn't remember what it was called - thank you! We live on the outskirts of Thonburi and haven't made it there yet -- that might be the one!

Really helpful. You are nice folks! Thanks muchly.

You've got lots of good suggestions already, but you may find a few more options here.

My personal suggestion would be to start at the Children's Museum and then make your way over to the Train Park, as they both in that same area around Jatujak. There is a butterfly garden inside the Train Park, as well as a train museum, bike rentals, paddle boats, a small wading pool and playground for the little ones, and plenty of space to throw down a blanket and make a day of it.

The Funarium is nice, but it can get pricey. You get 3 hours on weekends/holidays and unlimited time during the week. The extras you buy once you're inside can add up quickly. Things like food, crafts, drinks, socks (bring your own to save on that one), all add up. So if you're going to spend 1,000-2,000 baht on your outing, it may be better to try Dream World as you'll get much more for your money there. The Funarium is a glorified version of the fun parks they have at the department stores-- nice if that's what you're going for, but the other suggestions would probably be more meorable for Grandma's visit, IMO.

Edited by Niranut

I always pay exactly the same as the Thais do at DreamWorld, been there several times alone with my daughter, there is no separate pricing (that I have ever experienced).

My experience is that you have to have a Thai buying the ticket at Ocean World and Siam Park but not at Dream World

ocean world charges thai price, just flash some thai id, a thai credit card, thai health insurance, anything. no Thai required.