British Tourist Robbed And Injured

britmaveric

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant say im surprised... Pattaya is a shit hole, most normal non sex tourists would agree to that. In fact most Thais will even dispute thats its part of Thailand.

Its a city full of the countries low-life workers, ###### just take a look at standard of girls working there. :D

I'm wondering if all the abnormal non sex tourists would agree to that as well.... :o

Well, the very fact that this story made the Pattaya Mail (where the original post was copied from) shows that this is very much an isolated, one-off incident. Can you imagine a story about an average kind of guy being robbed for a small-ish amount of cash, not being too badly injured and nothing else untoward happening making the news anywhere else? The fact that this is considered "news" in Pattaya highlights the fact that the town is probably very safe.

This is more than a little bit naive. If the Pattaya Mail staff were to do anything like investigative journalism they'd be dead inside 48 hours. They print fluff because it is all the can get away with. They do not print the stories that pwerful people do not want printed.

I would tend to agree with that comment.

Pretty simple really. If you look like food you will be eaten. I lived in Pattaya for over 2 years. I wore 6 baht of gold almost at all times, a 5 Baht intricate Dragon bracelet and a matching 1 baht dragon head ring. I'm a big guy so it was size appropriate. Its actually tough too get anything less than 5 baht to fit my wrist :o Anyway, I have been out every night many times alone and never once has anyone ever tried to rob me. But then again I'm young, tall, with an athletic build and Black. Sure I could get beat up by a bunch of Thai guys if they really wanted too, or I could be shot by one if he really wanted too. But the point is, with so many old, fat white men wobbling around down there why attack someone like me who may hurt you when you can tag several easy marks with the same effort?

Like the old adage about 2 men running away from a lion and the younger man telling the older one "I'm sorry I will miss you" The older one says "Why, you can't out run the lion either?" and the younger one replies "I don't need to run faster than the lion I just need to run faster than you"

And about this self righteous Pattaya critic who just popped up like a zit on a hairy ass. Let him be, this pompous troll is not worthy of our efforts. We need not defend our beloved Pattaya from the senseless babbling of such caustic negative individuals

Pretty simple really. If you look like food you will be eaten. I lived in Pattaya for over 2 years. I wore 6 baht of gold almost at all times, a 5 Baht intricate Dragon bracelet and a matching 1 baht dragon head ring. I'm a big guy so it was size appropriate. Its actually tough too get anything less than 5 baht to fit my wrist  :D Anyway, I have been out every night many times alone and never once has anyone ever tried to rob me. But then again I'm young, tall, with an athletic build and Black. Sure I could get beat up by a bunch of Thai guys if they really wanted too, or I could be shot by one if he really wanted too. But the point is, with so many old, fat white men wobbling around down there why attack someone like me who may hurt you when you can tag several easy marks with the same effort?

Like the old adage about 2 men running away from a lion and the younger man telling the older one "I'm sorry I will miss you" The older one says "Why, you can't out run the lion either?" and the younger one replies "I don't need to run faster than the lion I just need to run faster than you"

And about this self righteous Pattaya critic who just popped up like a zit on a hairy ass. Let him be, this pompous troll is not worthy of our efforts. We need not defend our beloved Pattaya from the senseless babbling of such caustic negative individuals

:o:D:D:D

Now that't the kind of humour I enjoy. Unless of course you're serious. :D

i walked alone at midnight in the slums of bkk. was everywhere, everytime in thailand. thailand is safe. but nothing is safe for people, who dont take care for themselves. in 10 years nobody stole me 1 baht. onetimes i lost my wallet and got it back with all the money within a half hour.

Haha didnt take long for Pattaya's defenders to come out..

I think we have a difference in opinion regarding Pattaya..in my case I have standards, and in yours..well your just content with living in a HIV infested sewer, good luck to you!

Try it though..ask any respectable Thai what they think of Pattaya...nah of course you wont..maybe too hard to open your eyes..easier living in dream land.

probably sulking coz' even the katoeys woulnt look at him when he was there(and probably just the once for a couple of days).

its just like one big 24hr party...and if you treat it as such nothing is surprising :o

Pretty simple really. If you look like food you will be eaten. I lived in Pattaya for over 2 years. I wore 6 baht of gold almost at all times, a 5 Baht intricate Dragon bracelet and a matching 1 baht dragon head ring. I'm a big guy so it was size appropriate. Its actually tough too get anything less than 5 baht to fit my wrist  :D Anyway, I have been out every night many times alone and never once has anyone ever tried to rob me. But then again I'm young, tall, with an athletic build and Black. Sure I could get beat up by a bunch of Thai guys if they really wanted too, or I could be shot by one if he really wanted too. But the point is, with so many old, fat white men wobbling around down there why attack someone like me who may hurt you when you can tag several easy marks with the same effort?

:o:D:D:D

Now that't the kind of humour I enjoy. Unless of course you're serious. :D

What, I can't be both serious and humorous at the same time? :D

Add three years and he'd be 70 years old,  probably looked like an easy mark,

The older you get it's wise to stay clear of jackals and hyena's    :D    :D

and in three years you might be old enough to make a sensible post. Dickweed.

Retard, wasn't trying to offend any seniors, only pointing out the obvious, the older you get, the more you become a target. Don't get your diapers in an uproar A-hole. :o

Well you did an 'effin good job of it. Try putting your brain into gear before allowing your hands to attack a keyboard and insult people, As I said before........still goes :D

Edited by Maejo Man

Pretty simple really. If you look like food you will be eaten. I lived in Pattaya for over 2 years. I wore 6 baht of gold almost at all times, a 5 Baht intricate Dragon bracelet and a matching 1 baht dragon head ring. I'm a big guy so it was size appropriate. Its actually tough too get anything less than 5 baht to fit my wrist  :o Anyway, I have been out every night many times alone and never once has anyone ever tried to rob me. But then again I'm young, tall, with an athletic build and Black. Sure I could get beat up by a bunch of Thai guys if they really wanted too, or I could be shot by one if he really wanted too. But the point is, with so many old, fat white men wobbling around down there why attack someone like me who may hurt you when you can tag several easy marks with the same effort?

Thanx Capt Mo, you said it all,

I tried to say the say thing but it came out as old people bashing, thanx for putting it into perspective, :D

Pat,

That's in line with my usual line of thinking, Cobber. However, the fact is that I don't spend much time walking at night here in the US. I live in Southern California, land of the automobile. The distances between places in any suburban area here dictate use of the car for nearly everything you want to do.

In any case, I won't be spending my life worrying about it. I'm curious, but not excessively concerned. As you said, Cobber, reasonable caution should be a normal part of life. But I enjoy life too much to live it in a state of constant fear.

>>>>>>>>>>.

I lived in SoCal for a few years in the SF Valley.:o

I feel much safer walking down a soi in Pattaya than a street in Canoga Park or Van Nuys at night. Crime against farangs are occasional in Thailand, crimes against farangs in America are common along with a constant state of fear. :D

Claw

I'm sorry, but a mugging of a 67 year old man of less than £100 and a mobile phone, who wasn't killed, wouldn't make a local paper in London.

Why is it news that one is attacked in Pattaya while walking around on his own just before midnight?

^Because it doesn't really happen too often.

I'm surprised a received mail in my inbox about it, but hey, knowledge is power.

Walking down Soi6 is not dangerous at all, unless you are blindlessly flashing cash/gold or possibly insulting the ladyboys down by the Beach Rd end.

I'm under the impression he was walking along the Beach Rd in the direction of Walking St. I never feel worried walking along Beach Rd, EXCEPT in the area between soi 2-6.

There's not much light, not many people around, and it would be very easy for someone to rob you if you seem like a vulnerable target (I guess everyone is vulnerable with enough attackers & weapons.)

I think we've all learned the moral of the story.

*hands a tissue to all the cry-babies in the thread*

I've  just come back  in  the house   after  a  night  out..............Soi  6  down  to  Pattayland  1..........i  think  half  these  guys  make  their  own  problems!.................as  been's  said  common  sense  prevails  always.  :D

Ever thought that you may have just been lucky up till now ? :D

If i have been its been 7 years of luck up to now going out every other night. :o

Dont get me wrong i feel sorry for the guy, but at 67 years of age it could of happened anywhere in the world late at night these days...........i bet he's not so quick to walk down the Soi again late at night.

although some people think this should not merit news coverage, now that it has made the papers it would be wise of the authorities to find and confict the guilty parties, to show that pattaya is a holiday destination and a safe destination.

i have not been to pattaya for 9 months now but when i did go there i did not feel as safe and relaxed as i was on my first visit in 1999.

if this is a trend then in another 6 years you will not be going out alone in 2011,

and as i and many of my friend have enjoyed pattaya, only for the golf of course :o this problem,unless curtailed will only lead us to find an alternative destination, which we all do not want.

street robberies & assaults have risen big times in pattaya during the last couple of years. longtime residents know well not to frequent beach rd. past soi 8 after 9pm. other hotspots are soi boukao after midnight, soi 6 after 11pm. a just 40-year old friend of mine was assaulted last week just below soi 6 on beach road brutally by a group of 5 young thais. he was not drunk and is built well. visitors are well advised to be very carefull and watch out for groups of young thai men in dark areas.

A couple of observations. First my sympathy to the poor gentlemen who got robbed, at his age, he certainly probably was wise enough not to have done anything to deserve it.

Secondly, I go back and forth on the "shit-hole" theory of Pattaya. However, a couple of years ago, I brought my aging mother and a friend of hers their (they wanted to go to a beach). They loved the place. Didn't have to do much, but stay away from certain places. Went out everynight and they never had any idea about the "reputation" of the place. We had 3 days of fun, excellent food, good entertainment--lots and lots of things to do (family type things). I guess I am like a magnet to the bad side because until then it seemed like it was everywhere--and I was like a kid in a candy store!! Most Thai's that I know like Pattaya and take the wife and kids.

Finally, make no mistake crime (violent crime) is on the increase. In the last almost 20 years, I've seen, heard about, and personally know many more foreigners that have been victims in the past 5 years than in the previous 15 combined. Before there was the usual "cons" that saw people willingly and foolishly part with their money for a variety of reasons. There were people who on a night out on the town woke to find their wallet minus the money (probably drugged).

In the past 2 years alone, I know a lady who was mugged twice at a bus stop on her way to work in the morning; a gentlement hit over the head with a brick and robbed of absolutely nothing (a book in a bag), and in the last couple of days a foreign student mugged (shot in the leg) and another lady mugged on Sukumhvit. All of these were in BKK and none of them were doing or did anything to bring it on themselves.

This isn't to discourage anyone from coming. Random acts of crime and violence occur everywhere. But for a lot of people it might be wiser to take a little more care these days.

I know when I have friends visiting and they are going places without me--such as Pattaya, Chaing Mai--I usually send a Thai friend of mine along to look after them. The Thai acts as a guide, helps them out etc. and gets a chance to see a little of their own country. I also feel quite secure knowing my friends/family aren't alone.

mqc states:

"I am a Brit:yohan: and all I say is "I am not American" and the charge is waived! Americans pay for their drinks as they get them in a bar (& tip each time) - others pay at the end of a session (tip once)- why (?)"

Because-

1. If you pay as you go there's little chance of being overcharged or any confusion resulting when a tab arrives. This avoids bloodshed. I'm sure you must be aware of all the complaints regarding overcharges, right?

2. In the U.S. it is considered good manners to tip generously. Getting it over on the poor server by being cheap is, strangely, not considered a clever trait by 'americans', but rather, implies a lack of class and breeding. It's a shame but people in the service industry in the States never look forward to waiting on you Royal Subjects due to the general stereotype of Brit as extreme cheapskate.

Nothing personal. I'm very liberal. Why, some of my best friends are Brits.

"Also it always surprises me in hotels in Pattaya why Americans get charged an over night fee for taking girls to their rooms, most Americans don't even question the charge. I am a Brit:yohan: and all I say is "I am not American" and the charge is waived! "

Not sure what world you are living in, but in ten years and many, many months spent in LOS I have yet to pay such a fee. They tried once for a second lady, but I nipped that in the bud.

"Americans pay for their drinks as they get them in a bar (& tip each time) - others pay at the end of a session (tip once)- why "

Slim has noted a perfectly valid reason for such behaviour. I don't and I don't thing a majority of Americans do, but it's a very sane way to avoid problems.

"Don't get me wrong I like the American people but why is it on Holiday you are so gullible at times.

This post in no way is meant to insult or offend but just to point out differences and some Americans are over spending at the bars and hotels. "

Speak for yourself, titmouse! Such broad nationaistic generalizations are inherently insulting. Of course you intended it that way!

And BTW, what was the nationality of this latest bumpkin who got a bump on the noggin? :o:D:D

~WISteve

Was it, by chance, other Brits who attacked the unfortunate chap?

I hear a lot of Jolly Old’s small-time knuckleheads are preying about, & I didn’t see any mention of the nationalities of the attackers in the story.

Or should I assume that muggers are exclusively represented by the native population?

"Also it always surprises me in hotels in Pattaya why Americans get charged an over night fee for taking girls to their rooms, most Americans don't even question the charge. I am a Brit:yohan: and all I say is "I am not American" and the charge is waived! "

Not sure what world you are living in, but in ten years and many, many months spent in LOS I have yet to pay such a fee.  They tried once for a second lady, but I nipped that in the bud.

The key word being "girls"..

No,i don't suppose you have experienced this either..

I hooked up with a gal who used to box on the lesser fight cards. I figured if we ever got in trouble we could cover each others' backs like in a kungfu movie. Tough girl but a real kitten at the same time. I take that back she never was a real kitten but a great gal overall.

18659.jpg

Edited by aughie

mqc states:

"I am a Brit:yohan: and all I say is "I am not American" and the charge is waived! Americans pay for their drinks as they get them in a bar (& tip each time) - others pay at the end of a session (tip once)- why (?)"

Because-

1. If you pay as you go there's little chance of being overcharged or any confusion resulting when a tab arrives. This avoids bloodshed. I'm sure you must be aware of all the complaints regarding overcharges, right?

2. In the U.S. it is considered good manners to tip generously. Getting it over on the poor server by being cheap is, strangely, not considered a clever trait by 'americans', but rather, implies a lack of class and breeding. It's a shame but people in the service industry in the States never look forward to waiting on you Royal Subjects due to the general stereotype of Brit as extreme cheapskate.

I'm an American, Slim. A very proud American. That said, let me assure you that tipping, like all other human behaviors, is really not a "nationality" issue. There are a lot of "cheap" Americans. I agree that, as a very broad generalization, Americans tend to tip more than most other nationalities. But, we have to recognize that Americans have the good fortune to have more than most other nationalities.

We are, as a nation, more generous than others when a disaster strikes anywhere in the world. We should be. We have more to give.

We have, as a nation, more volunteers working around the world to help those in need. Again, we should be. We have more people with the wealth to give part of their lives to others without sacrificing all that we have.

Now, granting all of those advantages, I must also add that Americans, in the vast majority, are the most generous and giving people in the world because we believe that all men are created equal. We believe that all are endowed with the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Those words are much more than quotes from an historic document. They are, in fact, felt within the heart of most Americans.

There are no better people in the world than the American people. There are, most certainly, times when the American "government" takes actions that do not support the true feelings of those principles. But, I assure you, the overwhelming majority of the American people have those principles in their hearts!

George

Haha didnt take long for Pattaya's defenders to come out..

I think we have a difference in opinion regarding Pattaya..in my case I have standards, and in yours..well your just content with living in a HIV infested sewer, good luck to you!

Try it though..ask any respectable Thai what they think of Pattaya...nah of course you wont..maybe too hard to open your eyes..easier living in dream land.

Appears to me from your ramblings that you are VERY familiar with the town makes one wonder about your true motives in writing such a critical post,maybe jealousy because you can only worship from afar??? :o:D:D

Well, the very fact that this story made the Pattaya Mail (where the original post was copied from) shows that this is very much an isolated, one-off incident. Can you imagine a story about an average kind of guy being robbed for a small-ish amount of cash, not being too badly injured and nothing else untoward happening making the news anywhere else? The fact that this is considered "news" in Pattaya highlights the fact that the town is probably very safe.

This is more than a little bit naive. If the Pattaya Mail staff were to do anything like investigative journalism they'd be dead inside 48 hours. They print fluff because it is all the can get away with. They do not print the stories that pwerful people do not want printed.

And lots and lots and lots and lots of loverly pics of Peter Malhorta. :o

mqc states:

Because-

Errrr ... so what about the guy on minimum wage who's just spent the last eight

hours out in the cold, wind and rain sweeping the sidewalk and gutters ?

Do you tip him ... I think not ... what's so special about barmen then ???

:o

mqc states:

Because-

Errrr ... so what about the guy on minimum wage who's just spent the last eight

hours out in the cold, wind and rain sweeping the sidewalk and gutters ?

Do you tip him ... I think not ... what's so special about barmen then ???

:o

Good point. Strange custom, I think. Sure it's generous but why are one fairly small group of people the only recipients of this generosity?