Samui Gazette

I picked up the latest issue of the Express and the Gazette yesterday. I noticed the Gazette has increased the price from 20 baht to 25 baht. Why such an increase ? Is it the Thai logic kicking in. Less people buying the paper so increase the price ? There was no reason given inside the paper either which you would have expected. I know it is only 5 baht but I am sure it will stop some people from buying it on a regular basis. Express still 20 baht though ;)

Times are indeed hard it seems :o

I'm sorry but complaining about a FIVE BAHT increase is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this crazy forum in over 4 years. Big deal if it is a 25% increase. 25% of practically nothing is, well, one fourth of practically nothing. At least now there is some use for all those coins all of us end up with.

Speaking of, maybe the shops could have one of those "take a penny, leave a penny" bowls by the cashier. That way, the people here on a fixed pension can use 5 baht from it to pay for the newspaper increase.

I'm sorry but complaining about a FIVE BAHT increase is one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this crazy forum in over 4 years. Big deal if it is a 25% increase. 25% of practically nothing is, well, one fourth of practically nothing. At least now there is some use for all those coins all of us end up with.

Speaking of, maybe the shops could have one of those "take a penny, leave a penny" bowls by the cashier. That way, the people here on a fixed pension can use 5 baht from it to pay for the newspaper increase.

Or just go to a bar...during happy hour of course...and read it there. Simple.

ha! talk about crazy ideas. that would be more like a tip for the cashiers and there would never be a dam_n thing in the bowl. ever. unless of course it was a satang. the shops don't ever mind paying out satang but look at you like you're a martian if you try and pay with one.

yes i have noticed that seems to be thai style. everyone is skint due to currency issues and the thais are putting their prices up.

I know one business which separated and became rivals. thats 2 business selling the same thing exept one of them put their prices up and now is empty. Harly suprising and the other shop is full.

As for the gazzete It is better than the express but it is not up to Phuket standard and other main city local paper standards and they are abpout 20 to 25 baht but they are full of local news.

Maybe with gas going up so is the cost of paper and everything from eggs to plane tickets.

are great another excuss for BBK airways tyop up their prices

also did u read that 10 and a half things about bangkok airways airport in samui. it was an interview with Bangkok airways.

They make me laugh. there ecuss for charging for parking is to get ride of taxi touts. so basically it is alright for BBK airways to rip us off but not for anyone else.

they seemed to want to branch out their manoloply. Also the taxis are still there they just block the loading bay. pathetic.

As for the other things i can't remeber all i can remeber is that we pay the bill for all the fancy airport lounges in thailand and as for cutting their prices in half for sonkhran exept samui airport is just a disgrace bt i would complain but who is going to listen and do something. maybe a facebook account for antie BBK airways

koheetsi if complaining about 5 baht increase is the craziest thing you have read then I suggest you read a bit more especially TV. If you actually read and understood the context of my posting you might have caught the jist of it. Most publications when raising the price at least have the decency to inform their readers as to why they have done so. The cost of printing, the price of paper, inflation etc along with an apology for having to do so. To just put the price up without a by your leave is a smack in the face for its readers.

My friend was looking to advertise with one of them. He has now chosen the other as in his thinking if somebody goes into the 7/11 and their are 2 papers which are basically the same there and one is 20 baht and the other is 25 he says more people are going to go for the 20 baht paper. So a shitty 5 baht increase to you has cost them a long time advertiser. Just how many more will think like him ?

The post wasn't about the 5 baht but it is a raise of 25% of the cost of the paper and no word of apology or reason.

I actually much prefer the Gazette but they in my opinion have not handled the rise very well.

koheetsi if complaining about 5 baht increase is the craziest thing you have read then I suggest you read a bit more especially TV.

No offense, but that isn't what I wrote at all. I said it was "one of the most ridiculous things I've read on this crazy forum".

If you actually read and understood the context of my posting you might have caught the jist of it. Most publications when raising the price at least have the decency to inform their readers as to why they have done so. The cost of printing, the price of paper, inflation etc along with an apology for having to do so. To just put the price up without a by your leave is a smack in the face for its readers.

So they didn't inform their dear readers of the increase. Most of the things on this island that might be considered a "smack in the face" where we are from. There are a hundred things to get upset about before worrying about not being informed about 5 freakin' baht

My friend was looking to advertise with one of them. He has now chosen the other as in his thinking if somebody goes into the 7/11 and their are 2 papers which are basically the same there and one is 20 baht and the other is 25 he says more people are going to go for the 20 baht paper. So a shitty 5 baht increase to you has cost them a long time advertiser. Just how many more will think like him ?

The post wasn't about the 5 baht but it is a raise of 25% of the cost of the paper and no word of apology or reason.

I actually much prefer the Gazette but they in my opinion have not handled the rise very well.

It depends on what your friend is advertising. If his target is more upmarket then the 25 baht paper would be the choice as people trying to save five baht are not upmarket. If he is trying to sell something to people who are price sensitive (to the point they count their satang) then the cheaper 20 baht paper might be a better choice.

Dunc, nothing personal, just this 5 baht thing is silly. :)

Edited by koheesti

yes i have noticed that seems to be thai style. everyone is skint due to currency issues and the thais are putting their prices up.

I know one business which separated and became rivals. thats 2 business selling the same thing exept one of them put their prices up and now is empty. Harly suprising and the other shop is full.

As for the gazzete It is better than the express but it is not up to Phuket standard and other main city local paper standards and they are abpout 20 to 25 baht but they are full of local news.

Maybe with gas going up so is the cost of paper and everything from eggs to plane tickets.

also did u read that 10 and a half things about bangkok airways airport in samui. it was an interview with Bangkok airways.

They make me laugh. there ecuss for charging for parking is to get ride of taxi touts. so basically it is alright for BBK airways to rip us off but not for anyone else.

they seemed to want to branch out their manoloply. Also the taxis are still there they just block the loading bay. pathetic.

As for the other things i can't remeber all i can remeber is that we pay the bill for all the fancy airport lounges in thailand and as for cutting their prices in half for sonkhran exept samui airport is just a disgrace bt i would complain but who is going to listen and do something. maybe a facebook account for antie BBK airways

I am looking for a job as an English teacher if that heps :o

Big C, in your unremitting desire to trash BKK Airways at every opportunity I note that you make no mention of the massive amount of help and donations which came from this Airline and its partners to help the flood victims in Samui. But there again I suppose you blamed them for the bad weather!

(Have a go at reading the article in the Samui Express).

It also looks as though you might have missed an opportunity to distribute all your unsold "I hate BKK Air T shirts" to needy victims! Or perhaps, despite all the bluster and hot air you never got round to actually doing anything. :D (Be interesting to see if you actually do anything on facebook as well) :whistling: :whistling:

Or simply not bother with it because its a really crap newspaper. Alternatively read something well written online that tends to get its facts right. :D

Or simply not bother with it because its a really crap newspaper. Alternatively read something well written online that tends to get its facts right. :D

Quite right. As an aside I recently discovered the sun has a photo gallery too! :w00t:

Big C, in your unremitting desire to trash BKK Airways at every opportunity I note that you make no mention of the massive amount of help and donations which came from this Airline and its partners to help the flood victims in Samui. But there again I suppose you blamed them for the bad weather!

It also looks as though you might have missed an opportunity to distribute all your unsold "I hate BKK Air T shirts" to needy victims! Or perhaps, despite all the bluster and hot air you never got round to actually doing anything. :D (Be interesting to see if you actually do anything on facebook as well) :whistling: :whistling:

so many people missed my point about bangkok airways. yes they did not make the weather

but how ever if their runway was flooded then at the risk of sounding like a pararot! who built their airport question is them.

they did not build it with enough drainage.

so whos fault is the bad weather. the customers. they have enough money to put people in to hotels. the customer cares stinks and when ever u walk past a nice bbk airways depature lounge anywhere in thailand. u can be happy to know that if u live in samui that u paid for that.

as for the 25 baht paper.

i have read newspapers in for exampe phuket which are 25 baht but they are ram packed with more paper and more information.

i am sorry but i agree with the op. The price in crease does not exceed the quality

as for my spelling i don't give a what sit :D

i cannot do this stuff alone. strength comes in numbers unfortualty there are allot of other people liek me that just blow hot air because they are not as angry as i am.

I don't think that bbk airways making donations of anything under 100 million baht would make up for their merits for ripping everyone off. they are legal gangsters. sorry if that is a bit strong but it is the truth.

there is only one way to close down a business and that is if everyone sticks together agrees and does not use it. no customers. no business. empty runway. up for sale. there again if a private company takes it over and takes the busicuit then they know that the people wil follow suite

but too many sympathiers like u and the whle plan is doomed

anyway i take it u r one of this rich flash forangs with loads of cash to burn and has a swamp of people kiss .

Edited by Rooo
flame removed.

5 baht more is not expensive if it is worth 5 baht more. What I mean is. If the quality and quanitity are bigger and better then 5 baht is nothing but if it is the same and they are trying to sneak another 5 baht on top and hope that people won't notice then that is just greed. Though with fuel prices annd taxes then everything goes up and gets charged to the customer. Inflation my friend which should in theiory mean wages go up to cover the cost of living but only in thiory

• 3 weeks later...

ha, i was reminded of this thread as i've just had the misfortune of attempting to read the most recent issue of the gazette. attempting to read because i literally had to decipher what original language was used prior to the google translator to thai to engrish abortion of an editing job presented on the page.

it wasn't even one article but one after another and another. what an absolute disaster. considering it is thailand however, i'd expect a 10 baht increase in the near future as they will need an editor with a kindergarten level education soon.

ha, i was reminded of this thread as i've just had the misfortune of attempting to read the most recent issue of the gazette. attempting to read because i literally had to decipher what original language was used prior to the google translator to thai to engrish abortion of an editing job presented on the page.

it wasn't even one article but one after another and another. what an absolute disaster. considering it is thailand however, i'd expect a 10 baht increase in the near future as they will need an editor with a kindergarten level education soon.

i have to agree with you there joe, i read the latest issue and the English was terrible !!!, it was a thai writing in Thai then using google translate to translate into english and then NO ONE proof read or checked before going to print !

does anyone know if there is a native english speaker working at the newspaper?

I checked with the Gazette. The cost to print each newspaper is about 14.5 baht. They get 60% of the 20 or 25 baht price, and the 40% goes to the seller, or they get 12 baht or 15 baht. at 20 baht, they lose 2.5 per issue sold. At 25 baht, they make 1/2 baht per paper sold.They then pay someone to deliver the papers to the sellers, all over the island, plus editor, reporters, writers, contributors, graphic artists, salespeople, secretaries. Not a real money making proposition. They suggested they were doing it more or less as a public service, since they were digging out real stories on Koh Samui, not cut and paste blobs of National and international news.

I checked with the Gazette. The cost to print each newspaper is about 14.5 baht. They get 60% of the 20 or 25 baht price, and the 40% goes to the seller, or they get 12 baht or 15 baht. at 20 baht, they lose 2.5 per issue sold. At 25 baht, they make 1/2 baht per paper sold.They then pay someone to deliver the papers to the sellers, all over the island, plus editor, reporters, writers, contributors, graphic artists, salespeople, secretaries. Not a real money making proposition. They suggested they were doing it more or less as a public service, since they were digging out real stories on Koh Samui, not cut and paste blobs of National and international news.

that doesn't appear to factor in any print ads or website ad space. if they are doing it as a public service, as suggested, they'd be well served to identify who their potential audience is before unleashing the final product on the GP.

as someone who's spent hundreds of thousands of baht on local advertising, the only way you'd get me to put an ad in that paper is if you paid me.

from your very detailed reply, i suspect you work for the paper, as no one would give our that info to someone who just called up or emailed in, so i will give you my 2 cents

1) there is nothing wrong with thai reporter's, but PLEASE proof read what they put into the paper

2) ' since they were digging out real stories on Koh Samui ' , then please follow what the pattaya papers and phuket papers do, get 3-4 reporters who work 24/7 who are connected to samui rescue and the police, so they are always at the scene when a story breaks !!, this is why there papers are full of local news and not some international rubbish as they are always there ( and you could fill a page a day with what goes on in samui !! )

3) get 2 - 3 westerns on board to do articles of interst IE local expat stuff....

4) Update your website !!!, both samui express and samui gazzette websites have been designed by youths and NEVER updated !, we could even open and Samui news section if one of the papers reported the daily news on there website

5) add more classifieds

6) add a proper job section like phuket gazzette, alot of people buy papers just for this !

7) add a real estate section, purly for house for sale / rent, with hot offers ect

8) do a proper restaurant review , not just a restaurant that has paid !!!, do a few as a mixture !, people like it

9) do a motors / bike for sale section

there is more to add, but tired now

Also , maybe offer expats FREE subscription to your paper ??? so then the advertisers are hitting more people as more people are reading

right off to get a beer, or make my own newspaper !

Boater Express ...... in a 7-11 near you soon !

that doesn't appear to factor in any print ads or website ad space. if they are doing it as a public service, as suggested, they'd be well served to identify who their potential audience is before unleashing the final product on the GP.

as someone who's spent hundreds of thousands of baht on local advertising, the only way you'd get me to put an ad in that paper is if you paid me.

I supect this guy works for the Express!

well you're not very observant so i'll agree with boater and suspect you are associated with the paper in question.

sorry, but your immediate reply that joe works for the newspaper, and the fact that 1) we know he does'nt and 2) his post doesnt suggest in any way he works for the paper just proves YOU do

so please take note of what people say, take it as constructive criticism

we just want a decent weekly newspaper , and having a thread in thaivisa is priceless market research onto what ure readers want ! so please take note

if the paper is not full enough of news then i just won't buy it. just out of interest how much is the bangkok post which is a big paper

i know that prices are rising round the world for me i don't really need to read the news paper if it is rubbish as i ain't really that interested.

yes i like to look at the crime but lets face it crime is everywhere. also the other stories just seem to be proting peoples business which i am not really interested in like. Mt T opens new Tea house sorte of thing.

promises by the mayor to build this and that. just do it don't neeed to pretend and talk to win votes.

when he forst came into power in the paper they wrote that he was going to plane to build a new govement airport. that story seems to have died.

maybe someone could do a story on that.

i got this new tecnhic bascially i go into a shop read the paper for about 5 minutes then i am done then kindly put it back on the shelf. the best thing is that this method is free and because the content is so small i can read it very quick without attracting the store owners attension.

anyway when u go into the book shop in tescos then u r just one of many people in a griup reading whole magazines then doing the same thing. so if the shop owner wanted to stop eveyone then it would take them about 10 minutes till they get to u and by that time u woul.d have read and run.. lol