Turkey begins demolition of peace statue to Armenia

News_Editor

Turkey begins demolition of peace statue to Armenia

2011-04-27 05:45:12 GMT+7 (ICT)

KARS, TURKEY (BNO NEWS) -- Turkey on Tuesday began the demolition of the Kars Monument to Humanity dedicated to the memory of the Armenian genocide in the province.

According to the Hurriyet Daily News, there will be no reversal to the demolition of the monument that was designed to symbolize the Armenian-Turkish relations. The work is scheduled to be completed within 10 days, as informed by the Kars Municipality government.

The co-president of the EU-Turkey Joint Parliamentary Committee, Hélène Flautre, strongly disapproved the demolition of the unfinished monument and added that such action annulled the message of the statue.

The monument was created by well-known Turkish artist Mehmet Aksoy and would consist of two giant human hands extending and reaching to each other. However, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip ErdoÄŸan called the statue "ugly" during his January visit to Kars.

Co-President Flautre added that the demolition of the monument also represented a censorship against art. Aksoy compared the Turkish government's act to the 2001 Taliban's destruction of ancient Buddhist statues in Bamiyan, Afghanistan.

The demolition also came mere days after the 96th Day of Remembrance of the Victims of the Armenian Genocide which was commemorated last Sunday (April 24). Kars was once an Armenian province but annexed by Istanbul following the 1920 Turkish-Armenian War.

Between 1915 and 1923, a period spanning from World War I to the armed-conflict with Istanbul, over a million Armenians were killed by the Ottoman Empire which ruled what is this day Turkey.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-04-27

Even if Erdogan hated the appearance of the statue it's symbolism was more important than it's appearance. To personally order it's destruction hardly argues that Erdogan is fit to be the leader of a democracy, especially in light of his threat to expel any Armenians should anyone mention the Armenian genocide to him.

Time for the west to organize a freedom flotilla to assist the oppressed Armenians in the territory occupied by Turkey.

The issue I referenced was not the slaughter of Armenians. Rather, it was the occupation of Armenian lands by Turkey.

Israel is not involved in this dispute.

Nice try.

Edited by Scott
deleted material edited out

Time for the west to organize a freedom flotilla to assist the oppressed Armenians in the territory occupied by Turkey.

Q: Does Israel recognize the Armenian genocide? :whistling:

Not on topic. What does Israel have to do with this subject?

As much as the 'freedom flotilla and the occupied territory.

As much as the 'freedom flotilla and the occupied territory.

You are still... :offtopic:

• 4 weeks later...

On other occasions, threads have been stopped because they are not related to Thailand. Can someone tell me who allowed this thread to start and why it has not been blocked like others ( Two sets of rules???)

( BTW I was interested to read it and happy to see it on TV, I hope more issues like this will be allowed but what are the rules??)

On other occasions, threads have been stopped because they are not related to Thailand. Can someone tell me who allowed this thread to start and why it has not been blocked like others ( Two sets of rules???)

( BTW I was interested to read it and happy to see it on TV, I hope more issues like this will be allowed but what are the rules??)

This is in the World News forum, therefore it is allowed:

> News> Thailand News> World News

On other occasions, threads have been stopped because they are not related to Thailand.

You're a bit slow to the party just to make a complaint - last post a month ago. Agenda?

post-566-0-42154800-1306340529_thumb.jpg

Don't want to make an issue of it. The topic appeared under 'recent topics' yesterday so i asked, not complaining. BTW I'm not allowed to view your jpg attachment! Didn't realise there is a 'world topics' heading for this sort of thing