Earn Bachelor'S Degree Thailand

kamakashi

Ok I searched all over the forums and could not find any answers. I also don't know if I'm posting in the right forum. If this question has been answered please direct me there. My question is that I graduated from Provo College in Provo, Utah in America. I am now living in Thailand and work at a Thai government school. My Thai boss has asked me to earn my bachelors degree in 2 years and then he will give me a raise. I was wondering if my college credits in America will transfer to a University in Thailand? If the University accepts my credits then great. Once I graduate and receive my bachelors degree here in Thailand in 2 years... will my degree be good in America? I don't want to get a bachelors degree that is not recognised in America. Can I also get any grants, scholarships, etc. from America? I think that's all of my questions.

Good question, unfortunately I have no answer. I am just amazed that you could get a degree of any shape in 2 years. Will you be doing this on top of teaching? If so you have my greatest respect. Good luck with it.

courtesy Wikipedia:

Provo College is a private, for-profit educational institution that specializes in career education. The school is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). Provo College offers Associate degrees and Diplomas in fields such as nursing, medical assisting, criminal justice, graphic design, and office administration.

If the OP is indeed in Mahasarakan there is a well respected University there and they might be in a better position to answer questions as to transfer of credits, international degree recognition, etc.

Edited by jazzbo

courtesy Wikipedia:

Provo College is a private, for-profit educational institution that specializes in career education. The school is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC). Provo College offers Associate degrees and Diplomas in fields such as nursing, medical assisting, criminal justice, graphic design, and office administration.

If the OP is indeed in Mahasarakan there is a well respected University there and they might be in a better position to answer questions as to transfer of credits, international degree recognition, etc.

Thanks Jazzbro, looks like I will go to Mahasarakham University and ask them. I've heard of many horror stories about the college and people dying... haha oh well it's Thailand :-D I want to earn my bachelors degree in web design. I have an associates degree in graphic/web design. oil..... going to a low ranking college to earn my BA.... heaven help me. Also, I bet they will charge me international rates instead of local rates even though I work here in Thailand but I can't claim residency :P Thanks for all the replies.

Regarding scholarships and grants you could look at iie.org

A Thai BA would be about as useful in the US as an Associates degree in the long-run at a guess. Most employers in the US wouldn't care, but the ones that do would care a lot!

If you are working in education I would suggest a degree in either education or English if you plan on staying in Thailand for any amount of time. The thing about studying here is that your study hours outside of the classroom hours should be minimal.

Some Universities in Thailand will accept Transfer credits and others will not.

I transferred over here from a University in the States and at the time Madidol University International College advised that they would accept transfer Credits and both Chula and Thamasat advised that they would not.

In order to get the transfer of credits approved, I needed to provide transcripts and course descriptions of all classes. If I remember correctly, in order to transfer, you needed at least a 3.0 in the class and the University also needed to have a similar class.

For example... I took 3 years of Spanish, but the University did not have a Spanish language program, so no credits for these classes.

Another example .... I needed use 2 classes from US to qualify for one class at the Thai University. I took 2 English Classes in the US, but in Thailand they advised that the English 2 Class had a Public speaking element, but the US class did not, so they did not want to give me credit for English 2. I had also taken a communications class in the US that had a public speaking portion of the course, so they agreed to give me credit for English 2 based upon the combination of both of the classes I took in the US.

Although this may have changed as this was about 7 yrs ago... best information I can give you is to check with the University you are interested in attending.

I am retired from the US Navy and have some previous college credits and now currently working towards a BS at Asian U. I have transferred some credits in addition to Navy experience for credits towards my degree here. I printed the course description of the classes i had taken and had the teacher of the class and the department dean review and determine if they would accept the credits.

The main thing at most of the bigger unis is matching the credits to their curriculum. Depending on the classes/degree this usually can get a lot of your credits to be accepted. Have to take a look at the classes they offer. I know Assumption(Abac) and Bangkok University (BU INTER) both allow students to do this.

In answer to your other question about whether or not your degree would mean anything back in the USA, this should not be a problem depending upon the University you attend.

Many students graduating from Thai Universities are accepted to Masters programs in the USA.

I was originally planning on heading back to the US for work after graduation and had made the below plan before coming over here, but I ended up finding a job over hear and never ended up making it back...

I was planning to include a report from an independent organization like the one below along with my resume to show that the degree that I had earned is equal to a US Bachelors degree.

Foreign Degree Evaluation Report

I had also planned to include World Rankings, so that the employer could see the US Universities that are ranked on either side, in order to better evaluate the University I attended in Thailand. I would also have been sure to include something in my cover letter to explain how the international experience gained would be an asset to the company and make me better qualified for the specific position that I was applying for.

Ranking University

219 University of Notre Dame 223 Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute 227 Indiana University 228 Mahidol University 230 University of Massachusetts 233 Wake Forest University 235 University of Miami 239 Tulane University