Non Imm O + Work Permit = ?

I'm having trouble figuring this out from reading the posts, so could someone please explain how this works to me.

I have a multiple entry non-imm o visa from KL for visiting my wife. I have about 6 months left before it expires. I am trying to get a job teaching English to help make ends meet.

If I lose my job teaching, then I only have 60 days to leave the country, thus ruining my visa. But this is IF I have a work permit attached to the visa.

Does this mean I should get another type of visa? Wouldn't that cancel out my current visa? Are they hinting that I should just work without a permit?

What's the safest route to take to keep from losing the current visa (we can afford to lose the job income but not the visa; I have a steady monthly income from out side Thailand)? I don't have any experience teaching and I don't feel confident about it, so probability of failure is reasonably high.

Thank you for any comments.

Edited by deusbelli

Your visa has nothing to do with work. Only an extension of stay based on work would be lost with a loss of job - and that would be immediately. A multi entry non immigrant O visa allows unlimited entry for up to 90 days during the validity period.

I would stick with the non-O visa since you have some concern about losing your job. If you are on B visa and lose job you would have to leave but with O that is because you are married can stay for her and don't need a job.

I would stick with the non-O visa since you have some concern about losing your job. If you are on B visa and lose job you would have to leave but with O that is because you are married can stay for her and don't need a job.

But you can't work on a O visa, can you?

Q: if a holder of a O or OA visa applies for and is granted a non-Imm B visa + WP, will thier O/OA automatically be cancelled out or will they wind up holding two valid visas? If the latter, then when you stop working you could just revert to using the O or OA visa.

Edited by OriginalPoster

You must have a work permit to legally work and a work permit can be issued on a non immigrant O visa. It is extensions of stay that are of concern for ending when reason for them ends.

But you can't work on a O visa, can you?

Q: if a holder of a O or OA visa applies for and is granted a non-Imm B visa + WP, will thier O/OA automatically be cancelled out or will they wind up holding two valid visas? If the latter, then when you stop working you could just revert to using the O or OA visa.

You can get WP if it's based on other than retirement.

You can not get a work permit on a OA-visa because it's for retirement.

No, you can not have two visas. old one will be cancelled.