Bangkok Chulalongkorn Hospital Need Urgent Type-A Blood

webfact

Bangkok Chulalongkorn Hospital need urgent Type-A blood

Thaivisa has received an urgent call for Type A-negative blood to help Louis Bronner, General Manager of the renowned Boathouse restaurant in Kata.

“Our GM, Louis Bronner, is in Chulalongkorn Hospital in Bangkok. He needs surgery to correct an aneurysm of the aorta but Chula is still lacking blood of his type.

“They need two more donors,” said Boathouse PR Manager Lisa Sol.

“According to the information received from Nurse Annie, who is a personal friend of Louis, donors need to be younger than 55 years and, as the blood cannot be sent, must make the donation in Bangkok.

“Nurse Annie has volunteered to liaise with donors,” she added.

Nurse Annie can be contacted immediately on her mobile at 081-535 7860 or donors can go directly to Chulalongkorn Hospital Queen Sirikit Building to donate blood for Mr Bronner.

tvn.png

-- 2011-05-12

It;s not 100% clear from the title but it is A Negative blood that is urgently needed.

I donated on Phuket this morning but I guess there isn't enough time to get the blood to BKK in time for the operation now.

Edited by Soupdragon

Sawasdee Khrup, TV Friends,

A friend of mine is A-negative, but sixty-seven years old, and in Chiang Mai; I'm sure he'd be willing to donate.

I'm curious about the age limit also; used to be the case in America some blood centers required a letter from a physician if the person donating was over seventy-five, but usually if the person says they are healthy, there's no upper age limit. However, blood banks do vary in the extent to which they carefully pre-screen donors: if the center is in an inner-city area where blood donation is paid for, they have to really carefully watch who's donating for the obvious reasons (drugs, HIV).

Any blood-bank or hospital is certainly going to carefully screen donated blood prior to its use for all kinds of things.

Best wishes for Khun Louis's health and medical progress !

regards, ~o:37;

I am A negative....the last time I tried to give blood at my local hospital they said, no we don't want to store it, but will contact you if we need it. The guy took my contact details ona piece of paper and that probably went in the bin when i left.

They also invited me to a special meeting in Chiangamai for those of rare blood groups. I complained that the three-monthly visits of the Blood Bank to Fang I rarely got to hear about unless I happened to drive past the Amphur whilst it was happening. They said they would inform me in future.....never happened.

I'm O-, which is universal and should work for everyone. I'm also under 50 and was not in England from 1980 - 1996, so it sounds like I meet the criteria, unless there is some specific reason they need A.

Anyone know exactly where at Chulalongkorn Hospital one goes to donate blood? It's a pretty big place.

For anyone who is interested in donating, you actually need to go to the Thai Red Cross center, not the hospital itself. The Red Cross is actually behind the hospital, across Henry Dunant Road. It is about 100 meters down Henry Dunant from Surawong, and then about 40 meters inside the complex. You are looking for a big glass building. You can't miss it once you know what building it is, but you can wander for hours through that complex if you don't know what you are looking for. It isn't a small place.

Only takes about 20 minutes once you figure out where you need to be, and they give you free ice coffee after your ordeal. On the form they ask you many disqualifying questions, such as did you eat a fatty meal in the last 6 hours. I was shocked by that one. They also ask if you drink alcohol, but what they mean is have you drank alcohol in the past 24 hours.

All in all it is fairly painless. The nurses told me they are critically short of all Rhesus negative blood types, so if you anything negative you may wish to consider donating.

It does give me cause for concern. Rhesus negative types are fairly common in the West, but they are quite rare over here. Makes me wonder if they will have blood for me some day when I need it.