Want To Buy A Bike

radiola

I am having yamaha fino right now from my girlfriend.

I need something badder. I want to spend around 150000 for a good bike, can be use 2 years.

I was thinking to buy a motard 400, kawasaki or another brand.

Can a falang buy a bike? What are the requirements. I hace tourist visa only. Is it better to sign ot over to my girlfriend?

Can you suggest the best bike I would get for this price. My dream bike is probably kawasaki 1000, but that is a superbike. For start I would go with something slower.

I dont even have a motorbike licence, I have a driving licence from europe

Thanks

:D x 2

First get a license here your insurance will be invalid if you drive one without a license. If your near pattaya you can get it registered to you on a tourist visa, else do it on your GF's name but that could mean that if you 2 break up the bike is hers.

The bigger bikes are fun indeed however the imported ones usually have a shortage of parts and maintenance ban be a headache (i used to have a kawasaki vulcan 400 and it was in the shop too much). I now own a CBR250R a nice beginner bike and within your budget.

Take a look through the bikes for sale on Thai Visa to get an idea of what your budget will get: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/148-bikes-for-sale-in-thailand/

If by 'can be use 2 years' you mean 2 years old at the most then I don't think 150,000 baht is going to get anything particularly 'bad'.

If you haven't ridden before then I would suggest that you get your license and start with a nice used CBR150, it's certainly badder than a Fino.

I am all for riding but way too often see someone way over there head. Ninja 1000's are avalable here new but closer to 650,000 Bt. and keep that to the experts, or complete idiots.

With the Fino go down and get your motorbike license. Only takes a few hours and is aobut 160 Bt I think. A used CBR150 is a very nice bike and can be had for 30,000 Bt - 40,000 Bt. Sounds your more the sport bike type than the crusier type of rider. I have a CBR150 and it gets 45 km/l and has a top speed of about 142 km/h. I have taken mine all over Thailand 2 up. Parts and service are easy to find in any village or town. IF you really have some riding skills, new CBR150's are about 80,000 Bt while the CBR250 is a good bike and avalable for just over 100,000 Bt. The Kawasaki D Tracker 250 is a wonderful city bike, and excelent Twisty mountain road bike. Kinda tall if you are short, And if you plan any cross country trips this bike is not for you, your butt will be screaming after just 100km. The Kawasaki Ninja 250 is closest to your BAD Ninja 1000. It cost about 150,000Bt. I have taken mine all over Thailand even some 1300km days (Trat to Chiang Mai) This bike is easy to ride, quick, gets decent fuel economy and is faster than 99% of what is out there on the road.

Be smart, be safe, be careful, have fun

I need something badder

From a Fino to a bike with gears and a clutch? Have you ever ridden a bike with gears and a clutch? If I was you I wouldn't even contemplate getting anything over a 125 for at least the first six months of riding. Then, progress to something bigger.

Near Colchester in the UK there is a retail complex that houses dealers of Porsche's, Ferrari's, Maserati's, etc, etc... I was speaking to the dealer in the Ferrari showroom and he explained to me that almost half the cars he sells come back within 2 months and are totally smashed, Due to the owner not being familiar with the car. Although at point of sale a training scheme was offered, most of the customers declined. So, I guess the moral is, learn to walk before you can run.

Edited by Danielson2702

To all others thank you for all the info.

Yes I was checking the kawasaki tracker, I kind of like it.

I think cbr 250 is too small for me, I am a big guy.

Yes I know how to use clutch, I am from Europe, I used to always have a bike with clutch.

I guess I will have to sign my bike to my gf name. Kind or risky but ok.

Edited by katabeachbum
flame removed

Yes I know how to use clutch, I am from Europe, I used to always have a bike with clutch.

I'm 6'3 and 90kg and the CBR250R is fine for me, how big are you?

im around 180 cm and now 96 kg. I look quite big (shoulders and such) but i dont look too big for the bike.

Hey Sky,

We are about the same size, so thanks for the recommendation. I've never ever sat on a CBR 150 or 250 but the CBR riders I have observed seem to be leaning far forward.

Is that position tiring for your back? Any other comfort comments? Now I ride a little Honda Wave CZi and it seems to be more upright seating.

Just asking.

Lance

Hey Sky,

We are about the same size, so thanks for the recommendation. I've never ever sat on a CBR 150 or 250 but the CBR riders I have observed seem to be leaning far forward.

Is that position tiring for your back? Any other comfort comments? Now I ride a little Honda Wave CZi and it seems to be more upright seating.

Just asking.

Lance

It's actually quite an upright position with hardly any weight on the wrists and no back, butt or leg aches after long rides, I did 500km in one morning, all good.

You can have a look on the Lifan Thailand website:

which is a Chinese brand

I wouldn't give advice on buying any Chinese motorcycle. Trust me, I know who few guys that have been sucked in with cheap prices and promises of reliability.

Don't buy Chinese.

Used Kawasaki 650's are going for about 185,000. Great choice. Yes you will need to put in GF name.

a passport with any valid permit to stay and adress confirmation is all it takes to register in your own name

in addition you need a medical available at any clinic for max 100 baht to get Thai drivers lisence. and approx 150 baht. can use Fino

If you want brand new and max 150k, I would have a look at Honda CBR250, Kawasaki D-tracker250 or Tiger X-Road 250.

secondhand I would try to stretch to Kawasaki er6n 650cc at 180k baht for 2 year old.

All made in Thailand, no legal issues, parts available all over the country within 24 hours

My advice would be to decide what you will use your bike for,this may sound a crazy question but it could help you decide what bike to by.

e.g Town commuting ....CBR250 would do the job nicely,lightweight,good brakes and can turn on a sixpence.

Rural areas......D-tracker250 or Tiger X-Road 250 perfect for the back roads and less maintained roads

General all rounder .....in my opinion would go to the er6,good for the long and short haul and also feels like a bike.

What ever you decide i would strongly advise getting your bike license because not all accidents are your fault and imagine if you did cause the accident how much sh#t you would be in.Getting some crash bars fixed is also a good idea until you get the feel of it,they may not look pretty but the could save you a fortune in plastics and pegs,not to mention your knees and ankles. (25 years on a bike and i have got the scars to show it)

whatever you choose i hope that you have fun with it....keep the rubber side down !!!!

Shaggy