True 3G Coming To Samui?

I stopped by the True info booth yesterday at Tesco Chawang and asked when True wifi -3g is coming to Samui.... the guy said "one month" ...

I am not sure if this is going to be a good and or better alternative to what is available now....? ... if it is TRUE! ;)

Perhaps anyone who has used True in other areas might expand!

did he lift his chin up and to his left while telling you "one month" as if he were in a meditative thoughtful dream state or was he looking directly into your eyes and say "one (more) month"?

i think the general consensus is that anything 3g related in thailand is to be filed under "believe it when you see it" but as an iphone user i'm obviously looking forward to this now outdated technology.

True did have 3G on the island (at least in bangrak) for a short period, a trial, so presumably the infrastructure remains, i think it was withdrawn over licensing this was about late summer last year. 99% sure it was TrueMove, the guy showed me his iPhone with 3G thing at boat bar and was relatively fast in safari browsing.

did he lift his chin up and to his left while telling you "one month" as if he were in a meditative thoughtful dream state or was he looking directly into your eyes and say "one (more) month"?

i think the general consensus is that anything 3g related in thailand is to be filed under "believe it when you see it" but as an iphone user i'm obviously looking forward to this now outdated technology.

Well.... I did disturb him from reading his book!:unsure:

But he did look me in the eye and and used one finger when he said one month... (and not it was not the middle finger :D)

The reason I did check was that someone had said in another forum here in TV said that he had used 3 g on Samui, perhaps that is when they were doing the testing??...... he was not a resident...

Having just joined the "Ipad world" , I too am looking to find something better than having the Ipad further than about two feet from my Dlink thingy to get a Wifi signal... !

Just wait and see. Now they've done the deal with CAT, they may have 850Mhz 3G up and running again.

That sounds promising, I wonder if we should hold our breath..... ? :D

Not till it starts raining again....:rolleyes:

Just wait and see. Now they've done the deal with CAT, they may have 850Mhz 3G up and running again.

OK, ... I stopped by at CAT Office in Nanthon today, just to see what they had to say about it.... The guy there says August....

Should we start making bets on this this?;)

OK, ... I stopped by at CAT Office in Nanthon today, just to see what they had to say about it.... The guy there says August....

Should we start making bets on this this?;)

ok, so we've narrowed it down to august.

now, what year?

check out the 3g fights on going now, its in Pattaya apparantly, crap

Can you rewrite this in comprehensible English?

Used it whilst I was there. Wasn't particularly fast. Not more than 1 MBps. Perhaps it will improve.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

My wife says that 3G is going to be 'rolled out' in 4 major cities by the end of the year. Two of them are Bangkok and Khon Kaen.

If that's true I can't see Samui being one of the other two. :blink:

Perhaps she speaks of TOT 3G.

My wife says that 3G is going to be 'rolled out' in 4 major cities by the end of the year. Two of them are Bangkok and Khon Kaen.

You are right about TOT, it was just someting she picked up on TV News.

She now says includes Pattaya, Chonburi, Chiang Mai and Songkla.

Who knows?

Edited by yorkie100

You are right about TOT, it was just someting she picked up on TV News.

She now says includes Pattaya, Chonburi, Chiang Mai and Songkla.

Who knows?

It could be the new AIS Wireless broadband service, not to be confused with mobile broadband.

AIS will initially start providing services in Bangkok metropolitan areas, Nakhon Ratchasima and Songkhla.

The service will run on the free and unlicensed 5GHz frequency band.

You have a private message.

• 4 weeks later...

I stopped by the CAT office yesterday, and got three fingers, meaning three months! when I asked about 3 g again.... hope no one made bets on this! ;)

I also asked if they had Sim card for Ipad, which they don't.... I have been using AIS for the last month, but speed and reliability does not seem great... anyone have other suggestions to try for Ipad (2)? Although I realize it may vary as to location.

• 1 month later...

After reading yesterday on another forum in TV, that 3 g is being made available to launch throughout Thailand, I stopped by the Nanthon CAT office to get the latest update for Samui....

Well apparently all set up and ready to go & due to launch AUGUST 10th!! (Year???):lol:

But you have to go to True... So off I went to True office to see what the had to say... oh no come for a few months... pretty vague about it all... :angry: OMG! I know why I switched to Astro for TV!!!

I used a Maxis 3 G sim whilst traveling around Malaysia... in my Ipad2.... reception was very good in most areas....even in the middle of "no where" ..... but then Malaysia is leap years ahead of Thailand in a number of things.... :o

That sounds promising, I wonder if we should hold our breath..... ? :D

is that 1 month thai time ??? :jap:

well I asked in tesco truemove stand and she said dont know

i asked at ais by fuji and she said no idea, funny when i ask last month she said soon

lesson is dont count on it

When 4G is available everywhere else 3G will arrive on Samui.

After reading yesterday on another forum in TV, that 3 g is being made available to launch throughout Thailand, I stopped by the Nanthon CAT office to get the latest update for Samui....

Well apparently all set up and ready to go & due to launch AUGUST 10th!! (Year???):lol:

But you have to go to True... So off I went to True office to see what the had to say... oh no come for a few months... pretty vague about it all... :angry: OMG! I know why I switched to Astro for TV!!!

I used a Maxis 3 G sim whilst traveling around Malaysia... in my Ipad2.... reception was very good in most areas....even in the middle of "no where" ..... but then Malaysia is leap years ahead of Thailand in a number of things.... :o

I guess CAT would know better than the girl at the TRUE outlet.

optimistic. cat have a form of 3g thats what people use the "high speed" dongles which beats the others at the moment but its a special form of 3g named cdma thothey are due to share 3g with true on their spectrum in the long term from what bangkok post says.

at end of day cat still knocking out the cdma specific dongles with no warning so yep i would believe the girl at the true outlet more than the people in nathon. dont believe any of them..

optimistic. cat have a form of 3g thats what people use the "high speed" dongles which beats the others at the moment but its a special form of 3g named cdma thothey are due to share 3g with true on their spectrum in the long term from what bangkok post says.

at end of day cat still knocking out the cdma specific dongles with no warning so yep i would believe the girl at the true outlet more than the people in nathon. dont believe any of them..

As I wrote, CAT is more likely to know when the masts are ready than the girl at the TRUE outlet. Perhaps someone with an UMTS 850MHz modem can begin checking for signal.

As I wrote, CAT is more likely to know when the masts are ready than the girl at the TRUE outlet. Perhaps someone with an UMTS 850MHz modem can begin checking for signal.

These dongles have been on sale for months...with the promise of the 3G to come. No sign of it yet....

well I asked in tesco truemove stand and she said dont know

i asked at ais by fuji and she said no idea, funny when i ask last month she said soon

lesson is dont count on it

i am noty sure which company has got it but they all bidded for the rights to sell. then i suppose they will sublet 3 G to other companies.

typical Thai manopoly

• 2 months later...

Jimmy, does Astro offer the football just like True and what other benefits are there according to you and what's the monthly price?

Jimmy, does Astro offer the football just like True and what other benefits are there according to you and what's the monthly price?

Hi Limbos... I am not the one to ask about Sports!!! Just ain't on my Radar screen, all totally boring to me... :D:o Shocking to some people, I know...

But there are a number of sports packages listed on the Astro sheet... Supersports, ESPN, Star Sports, Eurosport, Golf Channel. Astro Supersport 2, Super sport HD, ESPN HD... no idea except the golf one is obvious!!! .... I see ads for foot ball etc, but it all tunes out!

Either pop down to the Satellite shop about 100 metres towards Lamai, from Tesco Chawang (sorry name of shop escapes me... oh these "senior moments" ;) They probably have all channels set up... Same side as Tesco.

Or perhaps ask the question in tech section of TV... There are a number of topics on about Astro...kicking around the forums here...

If you go for Astro, use a 90 cm dish here... that shop knows that... but you may still have to ask, especially for HD...which only fades out in the heaviest of rain...

Actually perhaps just google Astro TV, it will probably have all channels listed...and what's on!

• 1 month later...

Malaysia is 20 years ahead of Thailand, when it comes to governance, technology, math skills, education, 3G, and wifi. On another level altogether. In Thailand there is 3G in some parts of Bangkok. In a few other major cities, but nowhere in the provinces, as I am told. They are talking about rolling out 4G, out of embarrassment. But, 3G still does not exist in so many parts of Thailand. WIth Samui being a major resort island, what excuse can be used for why 3G services do not exist, except "sorry, but we are completely incompetent".