Just Moved To Chiang Mai,... Now What ?

Cyrus2Ray

Can't imagine why that is difficult. There are probably more than 100,000 people in Chiang Mai who do not have a 30 year younger local partner. Actually probably over 200,000.

Could you imagine that users writing in English on an expat-forum are talking about expat-problems?

Thanks everyone for your wonderful write ups so far,

I am beginning to feel that the pluses certainly outweigh the minuses,

only confirming my extensive online search for the best place to live in LOS, matching my kind of place !

the only real concern is still my cat, but I have already had lots of really useful guidance on that through my other posts,

wishing you all a great time out there

Peace .. jap.gif

My 3BB internet works great!...

I have met many friends through the local hiking club, sitting in Wawee Coffee and also through a local school that teaches Thai (Met both Farang & Thais there)...

Do you know how to contact "the local hiking club"?

My husband and I are just starting to wonder about this, ourselves. We're in our mid-twenties and we've been here a month. Outside of the other TEFL course graduates (most of which are leaving CM, actually), we wonder how to make friends. (I've no interest in making friends at work - I like to keep personal and work life separate.)

I'm just not into sitting at bars paying twice the price of a beer at home. I wasn't in the States and I'm not into it, now. /sigh/

Wow - maybe it is personality or something. I don't drink or get near a bar or pub of any kind. I work 7 days a week and 10 - 12 hours a day in a office and I find many friends or they find me. And it's not co worker friends, it saying hello to someone at the market. Smiling at someone and if they smile back saying hello. Don't lock your self in your home and car, walk, get out say hello. It works. I have many more friends here in just a short while than years back home.

As for internet, depends on company and locations, but mine is lightning quick

I would just like to say that I like the way you articulate your thoughts,

well done indeed !

Best wishes.

( sorry had to shorten the repeat of your note to save space )

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Cyrus2Ray,

Welcome, you, and your Cat, to Chiang Mai ! ..... ....... ....... In all cases, a sincere welcome to the city that stole our heart many years ago, and, so far, renews our lease-on-life every year even after our all-too-human's failings cause major breakage in transit :)

best, ~o:37;

Cyrus, I hope you enjoy Chiang Mai if you make it here. How long do you plan to stay?

I found this thread intriguing and thus have read your other posts with interest. It doesn't appear you've visited the Kingdom before. My apologies if I've missed that, but I suggest you set up a vacation to come and look around, maybe meet up with some of the generous people on this site who have offered such good suggestions. Of all of the places I've spent time, Thailand is the most forgiving of honest mistakes (and even dishonest ones if you have the baht), but it's also one of the most challenging if one has to project one's own sense of order and disorder into the culture.

Contrary to one of your posts, Chiang Mai really can't be described as off the beaten tourist track in any sense of the term. It has actually become one of the world's trendier must-visit spots for a lot of the traveling public, although people dropping dead of mysterious illnesses and the occasional threat of civil war might dent that and of course it's now the low season.

I find the internet service well beyond adequate and rely on it a lot. In the manner of a fair number of my Thai friends, though, it disappears when you least expect and turns up again with no apparent notice that there has been any hiatus. Ironically, when I tried to post this it was out. It's about 11:30 during trading time in New York. I know you're working global markets, but if it's a consideration I thought it worth reporting.

Your cat is going to die one day, somewhere. It has a destiny and so do you. Unless it's a good Buddhist, it has only eight more lives and unless you are, you might just have this one. It is of course possible to become hamstrung worrying about snakes and vicious dogs. For myself, I worry more about tripping over canines sleeping soundly on busy sidewalks. I do love Chiang Mai. I'm a little cautious about expecting it to reciprocate. Stuff happens and the fact that people here roll with it happening or just ignore it is part of its magic for me and could well be for you.

Anyway, now you have described the sort of people you want to meet, couples or singles in their 20s or early 30s. No women with older male partners

Different from back home...most of my friends back home were acquired years ago.

I'm still trying to understand this one. Your friends were acquired??? Now that is very strange. What country are you from?

only confirming my extensive online search for the best place to live in LOS, matching my kind of place !

the only real concern is still my cat, but I have already had lots of really useful guidance on that through my other posts,

Peace .. jap.gif

You shouldn't worry so much about your cat. Cats are great at adapting. But you should keep the cat indoors and then you would not have to worry at all. My cats stay inside 95% of the time. They only go outside in the garden for a few minutes when someone is out there with them. I live far away from any busy street so no worries about them being run-over. But like everywhere in Thailand there are vicious soi dogs that run loose in my moobaan as well as other cats that will fight and probably have never had a vaccine. There are ticks now... Also my cats are purebred and quite exotic looking so they would be stolen in no time if they roamed the streets. Simple solution. Keep them inside. No worries.

I moved to Chiang Mai a few years ago and had no difficulty in making new friends but I did not hang around bars. I went to art galleries, listened to live music and got out and talked with people. Its not difficult to meet people if you are friendly and make an effort. And don't spend hours a day on the computer.

Edited by LadyHeather

Peace .. jap.gif

You shouldn't worry so much about your cat. Cats are great at adapting. But you should keep the cat indoors and then you would not have to worry at all. My cats stay inside 95% of the time. They only go outside in the garden for a few minutes when someone is out there with them. I live far away from any busy street so no worries about them being run-over. But like everywhere in Thailand there are vicious soi dogs that run loose in my moobaan as well as other cats that will fight and probably have never had a vaccine. There are ticks now... Also my cats are purebred and quite exotic looking so they would be stolen in no time if they roamed the streets. Simple solution. Keep them inside. No worries.

Here is another option for your cat.... :rolleyes:

Cat Stew

One cat, skinned, pieced

Couple of onions, potatos, other veggies yer

choice ..chop or slice em ....however

1 can of mushroom soup

2 cans of beef gravy

1 can of water

Tbsp each of pepper, garlic salt

Boil the cat meat in a large pot of water

with a half cup of salt for about half a day.

Pour the water out and add all the stuff to it.

Bring to a boil, then simmer covered 4 to 8 hrs.

Serves 8 (or 1 for a week).

Gravy is good sopped up with week-old bread.

You can eat other stuff with it too.

Drink beer

(TIP: 3 day old cat is more tender and

easier to skin) :bah: Now you can go out without a worry......

elektrified.

re .. my cats are purebred and quite exotic looking

are they better looking than this little stunner that lives in a driving school in c mai ?

any pics of yours ?

dave2 ... a cat lover : )

post-42592-0-10352300-1306255085_thumb.j

this is a beautiful cat, if I ever do move to CM, would like to find a friend for my cat, would probably adopt this one too, as all those who have cats know, a cat alone gets bored, and it is better to have 2 instead of just 1 if one is going to have a cat.... they also need a companionship of their own kind.

Is this a Soi Cat ? living in the streets ? How about all the dangers that I have been warned about regarding the threats to a wondering cat outdoors in the city ?? ..this cat seems well, and has obviously survived so far... any comments ?

elektrified.

re .. my cats are purebred and quite exotic looking

are they better looking than this little stunner that lives in a driving school in c mai ?

any pics of yours ?

dave2 ... a cat lover : )

• 11 months later...

Well, it has been a long time since this thread had any activity, as my plans to move to Thailand kept getting postponed.

This time I believe I can manage to actually move there doing volunteer work with a charity foundation in Thailand for a few months.

I have found a great opportunity to work as a volunteer for a foundation which helps the people and communities in need, and so I can now move there with a solid plan for at least the first few months, a volunteer job that is going to keep me quite busy and I am really looking forward to it. So, hopefully, soon I can say that the topic is no longer a hypothesis, but an actual fact !

After having re-read all the posts and re-considering all the dangers associated with the environment for my cats' new life there, I think it is better if I try to find a home for them where I am now and move there without my cats.

The reason is that my cats are so used to going outside, and almost impossible to keep inside, and I am afraid the saying .."Curiosity killed the cats" ... might actually come true in my cats' case if they were to come and live there in a house, having to deal with all the possible dangers; the soi dogs, snakes, centipedes, etc.

It is a very sad and difficult decision to have to do this, but I think they would have a very short life span in Thailand, living in a house and roaming all over the area, and I may be doing them a favor by not bringing them to Thailand. I would just have to make sure I find a good home for them here before I move.... again the problem is that they ARE outdoor cats and just about impossible to keep them in.

I had started with just one cat that I took in to save his life when he was a little kitten, about 6 months later, the neighborhood kids brought another little kitten to my door, she was almost dead from hunger and thirst, and I saved and kept her as my second cat. .. and finally about 5 months ago, the kid again brought a little kitten to my door ( I guess I am known as the guy who can not say no to poor little kittens, or at least that is what they must think ), and so he became my third cat.

The sad and difficult about this last kitten has been that some cruel person had hurt him so bad, almost breaking his back, and he is unable to stand on his back legs. I have taken him to several of the best vets in town, and have spent so much time and money already trying to make him better, but he has spinal nerve damage, and unfortunately his situation is permanent, meaning that he will never be able to stand on his rear legs.

So, I have been taking care of him like a human infant, using a diaper on him, having to change diapers, washing and drying him a few times a day, since he can not go and use a litter box like the other two cats. He is so playful and full of life, eats well, plays, and moves around pulling himself forward using his front paws, and it is in a way so sad to see him in such a situation.

I can probably find a home for my two healthy cats, but it is very difficult to find a home for my half-paralyzed kitty. I have been contemplating the idea of letting him go, as this might be the more humane thing to do. He is now only a little over 5 months old, and although he is so full of life, I feel sad seeing him unable to have a normal life, not to mention the other problems that he has or will have more of, such as skin irritation because of diapers, pulling himself on the floor, digestion problems, muscle loss due to inactivity in his rear half of his body, etc. Additionally, it is almost impossible to keep a clean house with a cat that can not control his bodily functions. He is so cute, sleeps with me every night ( my bed is also impossible to keep clean as a result ), but I wonder for how long can he suffer like this and for how long can I handle taking care of him like this, since it is almost a 24 hour job, and keeping a clean house is another almost impossible challenge with him and his condition.

Anyway, I do not mean to turn this into a "Dear Abbey" letter, but I would like to know if anyone else agrees that euthanization may be the more humane thing to do, please share your thoughts and help me out with this most difficult decision. I know letting him go and not making him suffer for the next 15 years through a life that has no real quality is perhaps the right decision, but the guilt feeling of deciding on his life is too much to bear.

Tough situation Cyrus, it is clear you are a very caring person. I am also a cat lover, and would find it very difficult but I feel that euthanasia would be the best decision for the poor kitty with the broken back... just my .2 cents sad.png

I guess provided you can find someone to look after your feline friends I might see you around town sometime, good luck.

In answer to some of your questions:

Firstly, high speed Internet, forget it. The Internet in Chiang Mai only has 2 speeds, dead slow and hanging there, that's in between the frequent disconnections of course.

That's absurd! The internet is excellent in Chiang Mai. I have used True and 3BB broadband connections with very few problems and both the True and DTAC 3G mobile internet is fast. Please stop spreading rubbish.

• Like 2

Oh Cyrus, you sound like such a kind-hearted person to take care of your kitties so well.

It's always a difficult decision to decide when end the suffering of a pet. One cat, we kept alive using extraordinary means and when he finally died (alone, while we were at work) I felt so guilty that we hadn't helped him end his suffering. We kept him alive because we'd felt so guilty about ending the suffering of his brother a few months earlier. So, either way, you feel guilty. Fortunately, these two brothers lived in excess of 20 years, so we had many happy years together.

Your poor kitten is so sad -- so young and otherwise full of life. I've seen dogs using little carts that support their hindquarters. There was one who ran around a soi where we used to live, obviously someone's beloved pet. He was well-adjusted to his little cart. But, you've probably already investigated if something like that is appropriate for your kitty.

Cyrus2Ray,

I like animals as much as the next guy,but you seem to be just a little too obsessed with the cats.

If you do move to CM, I'm sure you would be happy North of town.

Because anywhere south, tend to have bands of roaming soi dogs and snakes that will eat anything smaller than a opossum.

Not to mention the escapees from the night safari, tigers and coyotes on the prowl...

Yep, North of town sounds good for cats.