Thai Police Arrest Alleged Top Tiger Trafficker

webfact

Thai police arrest alleged top tiger trafficker

BANGKOK, May 23, 2011 (AFP) - Thai police have arrested an alleged kingpin in what could be the country's largest tiger trafficking ring, a wildlife protection group said Sunday.

Sudjai Chanthawong, a Thai national, was detained on Saturday in the northeastern town of Udon Thani by undercover officers of the nature crime division, according to the Freeland Foundation, which supported the operation.

The gang he is accused of protecting and financing was thought last year "to be responsible for moving up to 1,000 tigers and leopards across the border into Laos and Vietnam in the past decade," Freeland said in a statement.

Sudjai was arrested after police confirmed his bank account was used by the ring to accept payment from undercover officers for the sale of a live tiger last year -- a deal that led to the arrest last May of two other Thai men.

"Thai police are to be congratulated for following the money and finding one of the kingpins involved in cross border wildlife trafficking," said Freeland director Steve Galster.

Sudjai was brought to Bangkok for further questioning on Sunday, while the live tiger that he helped to sell last year, now known as Sylvia, was brought to a police news conference in the capital.

Sylvia, sold in the sting operation as a cub, now weighs almost 100 kilograms (220 pounds) and is kept in a special national park facility caring for seized wildlife in western Ratchaburi province, Freeland told AFP.

Thailand is one of just 13 countries hosting fragile tiger populations, which are on course for outright extinction by 2022, the conservation group WWF warned last year during the Year of the Tiger.

The group said decades of trafficking and habitat destruction had slashed tiger numbers from 100,000 a century ago to just 3,200 today, with the Chinese the world's biggest consumers of tiger products despite global bans.

Thailand is home to some of the world's largest wildlife trafficking operations and Freeland is campaigning for the government to pass stronger laws against them.

Earlier this month, the Thai nature crime police arrested a man whose luggage contained a baby bear, a pair of panthers, two leopards and some monkeys -- all alive -- that he was trying to smuggle out of the country.

The United Arab Emirates national was detained at Bangkok's main airport, attempting to fly first-class to Dubai with the young creatures in his cases.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-05-23

Well, good!

I've read several news about animal trafficking here and I always ask me where are the big players? It's always a mule caught with an endangered animal (or many) on their suitcase or some such thing.

It's good to see that they are going after the heads of the trafficking organizations.

Now here's hoping that actually helps to curtail their activities.

Well, good!

I've read several news about animal trafficking here and I always ask me where are the big players? It's always a mule caught with an endangered animal (or many) on their suitcase or some such thing.

It's good to see that they are going after the heads of the trafficking organizations.

What we cannot do is feed him to the tigers, Just a big shame. These people are sick-period.

Well, good!

What we cannot do is feed him to the tigers, Just a big shame. These people are sick-period.

Hey, the tigers should be fed quality food, not garbage!

" Earlier this month, the Thai nature crime police arrested a man whose luggage contained a baby bear, a pair of panthers, two leopards and some monkeys -- all alive -- that he was trying to smuggle out of the country."

And that was just his hand luggage:unsure:

How on earth do you hide half of London Zoo in your luggage?

he claimed the animals were obtained at Chachuchack market too!

These arrests are just the tip of the iceberg.

It will be interesting to see if the Tiger temple fits into all this in some way.hey but that would involve REAL police work and involve high-ranking people.

Well, good!

If I were the police I would find out who he talked to and who those people talked to. In my opinion the investigation has just begun. When I got all the players I would throw this scum bag in jail and characterize him as a pedophile, then look the other way while the inmates did their duty.... ;)

There is a Thai lady, a cousin of the Queen I believe, who is also active in protecting the tigers in Thailand. Does anyone know about her? There was a British tv show about her I think this year or maybe last year. I used to know her back in the mid 80's and have lost touch with her. I believe she lives up around Chiang Mai.

Well, good!

the punishment(X2) should be double cos' he is a police officer.

Well, good!

the punishment(X2) should be double cos' he is a police officer. Make 'em eat the tigers' dung!

Well, good!

the punishment(X2) should be double cos' he is a police officer.

Didn't know he was 5.0

Can't wait for him to hit cell block. Can you say.....ain't nothin' but a gangster party...... :D

The Thai police are to be congratulated for following the money and finding one of the kingpins involved?

What a great pity they can not do the same, with the small grug mules they keep stopping> Sorry I know :offtopic:

jb1

Wasn't this case featured on TV last night? The programme clearly stated that the chief amongst the smugglers was the wife of a very senior police officer.

Can you imagine the chief Metropolitan police London-his wife a top tiger smuggler--:lol::lol:-here is a joke--touch anything here were there's money Hey presto surprise surprise --top government or V.I.P. Please don't any poster come back with a Thai bashing comment, corruption big time.

This top policeman and his wife should serve big TIME-set an example to them all PLEASE.