Stinky Roads

It's just unbeleiveable how the trash bin collectors handle the bins around the island. Everytime i go out have to smell discusting stinky roads, why is that for????? Why this island is so bad about this? Why they cannot be the same other normal cities in thailand where they can handle this thing very well apart we are in a third world ppl should have common sense about keep samui clean.

This is the government's problem and the local authorities stay in their cold offices and dont even have a god dam_n clue how the tourist might feel when they sightseeing the island.

It's just a complete disaster zone, feel like im in Mos Esley sometimes from star wars where alll the universe crap meet, fully unreleveant municipality service.......

They making Zillions of tax revenue by the hotels, companies but they pissing off the ppl who give them money, what a ****........

All the best for everyone who feeling the same, pls ingnore troll posts where u not aggree with this or saying this is just thailand coz i think common human interest to keep everything clean around us, specially if we have a beautiful island like this with nice and friendly people....

Some constructive ideas to follow for this unrelevant guys:

- Creating proper roadside places for trash bin coollecting

- Using standard bigger big bin collectors without having leak of them

- Cleaning the roads daily at the dirty spots

- Having a manager coming around at least weekly from nathon to see is there any illeagal bin spots

- Using closed Bin collectors instead of keep them days in the sun openly

- Having a common sense by the bin collectors to keep samui clean, this is their job na....

All the best,

Joe

pls ingnore troll posts where u not aggree with this

Disagree is trolling now? This is a forum right?

I think you have to remember that you typically dont pay council tax in Thailand, so the 30 baht a week for garbage collection on a best effort basis vs 5-8k a month in council tax i paid in the UK, Im not complaining, collection every few days vs every two weeks. Granted out of town managed housing complex/estates in other parts of Thailand are much better but Im sure that what part of your service charge is. Would you pay say 5k a month council tax if there was a commitment to better garbage collection?

- Cleaning the roads daily at the dirty spots

Why stop there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9DpB2HdDt0&feature=related

Edited by devdrinker

Some nice ideas Joe - but you omit the biggest problem. The majority of the Samui population.

How many of readers of ThaiVisa pay the government for collecting their residential rubbish? (Garbage from their houses.)

Now - how many people dump their garbage in the bins without paying?

This is true of Thai and Farang alike.

I pay 100 baht per month for every house where I remove garbage. None of my neighbours pay this fee! None of my Thai staff pay this fee. They all dump their garbage illegally. :o

So - most people not paying for the service = reduced service!!!

The second problem - bin collection/storage areas.

No one wants them near their property - they smell. Even when they are emptied EVERY day (it's the heat you see).

The bin men cannot/will not drive down the small lane to my houses.

There used to be a cage at the end of the road where I live. The people living nearby complained. It got moved - 1.5 kilometers away. I had to drive further to dump my garbage properly. The people living near that area complained - now I have to drive further still to find a cage for dumping garbage. (Yes - I could dump it by someone's bin - but that would not be nice for that one person.)

Third problem.

All garbage should be bagged in black bin bags and dumped between the hours of 7 pm and 5 am. This is so that it is not too unsightly for the tourists! (I understand that this request came from the mayor's office but I could be wrong.)

The garbage collectors actually do a good job in the area where I live. They collect the properly bagged up garbage every day. However, too many people do not bag their rubbish up properly (if at all) , and the garbage collectors have to do too many trips to the incinerator plant because most people do not pay the 'bin' tax.

I don't pay a fee as they won't pick up from home. I take into town and put in a bin near the post office. Ok this is not correct procedure I would be more than willing to pay my 100bt a month if they would just provided a drop point at maybe 20 locations on the ring road.

I don't pay a fee as they won't pick up from home. I take into town and put in a bin near the post office. Ok this is not correct procedure I would be more than willing to pay my 100bt a month if they would just provided a drop point at maybe 20 locations on the ring road.

Once you pay your fee - you can drop off at any government bin (usually green with the Tessabaan logo on it). The only reason that I look for a cage is that I usually have a truckload of bags

I reckon that under the current mayor - if everyone paid their fees the place would be cleaner. Just my opinion though. For now, the few support the many.

There are bins (metal cages at the end of my Soi, which many people use (Thai's and us Farangs alike) .... they are emptied daily.... very early in the morning... fortunately no one lives close by these so the smell is not so much of a problem.......(fish or meat parts, are always the worse stink!) they have been in place for at least two years...

Each evening you see "dumpster divers" going through the garbage (bags) picking out plastic, glass, cans etc, all that can be recycled (and are, thanks to these people who do that.....):jap:

Many are people are just lazy about separating out the recyclable stuff... there are many trucks that go by and will pick it up... at least in my area

........ Many western countries fine people for putting recyclable stuff in general garbage... just need to find an envelope in the garbage to find out where the bag comes from...

Everyone needs to do 'their bit", really a mater of habit changing, then it not so hard! ;)

i have 7 big bins where i live and our emptied daily , the only thing is they do spill alot off the rubbish and dont clean it, also the bins are never cleaned as much as they should be ( they are cleaned one a month )

there are places in england that do bin cleans and are very profitable buinesses in the UK , but i couldnt see it work here as people dont give a shit ..

but what anoys me is the trash on the side of the road ect ....... they have police all over BKK that charge you 2000 THB for droping a fag but ( when they dont even provide bins to put them in ) so bring them here to hit the ' Fly Tippers '

So here is the score...

Pay on modest house in england 6000 baht per month in council tax in which 10% goes to refugee collection. You get one collection per 2 weeks. You pay for all the bums - about 30% per average council - some deserving - most not. You have the milk man or window man offer to clean the bins once a fortnight - 7 quid per time.

In thailand, especially samui, you are carrying the weight of about 90% of the population who cant afford to worry about garbage collection (and to be honest why fuc_k should they on 8k a month), but garbage still picked up generally every night, worse case every 2 days, you pay 30 baht per week, if they bother to collect it, and people complain. <deleted>. In samui its a lot more mixed your 18k a month apartment is within 100m of 10 3k a month rooms, you pick up the bill if you want...

The housing estate in hua hin or pattaya is a little different but you pay for that as a direct cost of service.. I dont see a problem in samui

Edited by devdrinker

i don't pay for any trash collection. all of my kitchen waste goes into the garden. plastic bottles are separated from the household trash as are glass bottles except for my beer bottles, my 10 year old has decided their might be some value in collecting them so he hordes them. each of the bags are dropped into the bin at the main road each evening and as they are separated they are all gone in the morning. the only thing that doesn't get sorted is the trash we collect from our beach.

i drove down chaweng beach road yesterday, had to put up the windows and use the air con the stench was just that bad.