Advice For Laptop

grandslam

Intending to buy laptop for long winter stay Can anyone advise please having

never before taken laptop abroad should I buy in UK or wait until arriving in Thailand (Koh Samui

on this trip) to purchase.

It will be a first using computer abroad so any advice from buying to operating i.e. purchase of air card (?) type etc.,

I will not need a machine with all sorts of packages as using for holiday purchase only internet, music, emails to home

type of usage.

Think carefully about your needs and portability ... versus the cost and if you will use this any other time than on vacation. If music and emails are all that you will be doing then a decent smartphone unlocked after you arrive in Thailand may be far more useful.

If, however you want to watch DVD's etc .... then you need something different ....

All in all, most people overbuy on purchases with limited usability and a rather short lifetime when it comes to small electronics.

UK is cheaper, but you problem will be if you need service under warranty. So make sure in that case that you have an International Warranty.

You can buy a returned/unwanted laptop in the UK for as little as £160(not that I would).

Thai bought laptops often have smaller screens, less RAM and the cheaper ones may not have an Operating System installed.

I recently purchased a Netbook for the girlfriend. A mere £130. Much better for travel.

Perhaps that is best for your usage, as they are relatively light at 1 - 1.3kg.

I took both my Netbook and laptop with me when travelling. The laptop stayed in it's case for the duration of the trip.

You can pick up an open aircard in the UK for £14.

Asus has a true global warranty. i'd look at getting an Asus netbook either in UK or Thai. if another brand, surely buy in UK. you can get a new netbook for email etc... for around 8000k in Thailand. can get an external DVD player for around $20 if you'll be wanting to watch DVD's.

Asus has a true global warranty. i'd look at getting an Asus netbook either in UK or Thai. if another brand, surely buy in UK. you can get a new netbook for email etc... for around 8000k in Thailand. can get an external DVD player for around $20 if you'll be wanting to watch DVD's.

Which models? Do they come with OS installed? Having to pay out extra for an operating system makes it less attractive.

Which models? Do they come with OS installed? Having to pay out extra for an operating system makes it less attractive.

Any bottom of the line Asus/Acer/HP netbook. They run between 7000-9000 and would be more than fine for email, word processing etc...

I've never had to pay extra for the operating system in CM or BKK. They should install Windows. Panthip in BKK and CM do anyways. Though of course it'll be a pirated copy. Never had any problems with it though. Up to your own morals regarding this I suppose.

I've heard of guys being taken with Windows too. "We'll put Windows for you for discount! Only 1500 baht". Then they just pocket that and install a pirated copy anyways.

Any bottom of the line Asus/Acer/HP netbook. They run between 7000-9000 and would be more than fine for email, word processing etc...

I've never had to pay extra for the operating system in CM or BKK. They should install Windows. Panthip in BKK and CM do anyways. Though of course it'll be a pirated copy. Never had any problems with it though. Up to your own morals regarding this I suppose.

I've heard of guys being taken with Windows too. "We'll put Windows for you for discount! Only 1500 baht". Then they just pocket that and install a pirated copy anyways.

That is the other problem(apart from the warranty) of buying a Netbook in Thailand. First of all, having to cough up extra for a genuine licence for your Operating System. The problem here is that officially, you are not even supposed to use OEM versions of Windows 7; so you have to cough up for Retail or use a pirated copy. OEM discs are for system builders who intend to sell on and give support to the end user. They are not for the end user to put on a machine with no OS. The licence conditions have changed for Windows 7.

If you go OEM or Pirate, it means no support from the manufacturer and no support from Microsoft.

Another problem, possibly more irksome than having no support, is that there will be no recovery partition on the HDD of the Netbook.

So in the event that you want or need to run a Factory Restore.....you will not be able to do so. You will have to re-install your pirate, OEM or Retail disc(you will probably need an external DVD drive for this) and collate your Drivers on another medium for installation after you have managed to install the OS.

Much more complicated and time consuming than pressing perhaps F11 a few times on startup in order to restore your machine with a clean installation replete with drivers.

Buying a machine with the pre-installed and properly licenced OS means that you get full support from the manufacturer.

So if it is your first machine, buy it in the UK. That way you will have a genuine and fully supported OEM licence.

Machines supplied without an OS are fine for people who know what they are doing.

I have purchased a Dell laptop in Thailand which is legal and has discs and the legal OS on the hard drive for reinstallation.

You can purchase a computer in Thailand with legal components and software.

It also may not be more expensive than purchasing in another country. You just have to research both ways of purchase.

MSPain

I wouldn't bother to purchase an expensive machine for travel usage. Especially for use near the sea.

I also wouldn't buy one on Samui. You'll possibly pay a premium for doing so.

Take a look at this Toshiba NB250-107 for £144. Will be shiny and new.

Buy it and try it. I would consider swapping the included 1GB RAM module for a 2GB RAM module. £17.50 or less.

If you like it, go to the Toshiba website > Compatible Services and purchase the International Warranty Extension. £21 for two years. £34.50 for three years. PM me for more info.

That will cover you wherever Toshiba have a service centre.

There is also the option for all risks insurance(Complete protection - insurance for Theft, Accidental Damage, Fire and Flood anywhere in the world for £54. Though I'm not sure that I would bother for such an inexpensive machine.

Pointless spending loads of cash unless you need a high performance machine.

A Toshiba Netbook with 2GB RAM and a three year International warranty for under £200(10000 baht) is a good deal.

As to the aircard/modem, you can buy this Huawei E160 for £14. Do confirm with the seller that they will send the Huawei E160 and not a substitute.

You can use this modem to connect to TRUE 3G if and when it is available on Samui. If TRUE 3G is not available by the time you arrive, you can use it to connect via DTAC/HAPPY EDGE. Slower, but ok for general surfing and email.

If you would rather have a full sized laptop, there are a plethora of laptop bargains in the UK at the moment.

For example: Recently for sale at EBuyer Express for £249.99

Acer Aspire 5742Z

ACER-Aspire-5742z-Laptop-Review-1.jpg

Processor

Intel Pentium Dual Core P6100 2GHz

3MB Cache

Memory

3GB DDR3 1066MHz

PC3-8500

Expandable to 8GB

2 x soDIMM slot

Hard Drive

250GB 5400rpm

Optical Drive

DVD-RAM/±R/±RW

Software

Operating System: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium

Display

15.6” Active Matrix TFT Colour LCD CineCrystal

16:9 Aspect Ratio

16.7 Million Colours

Resolution: 1366 x 768

Graphics

Integrated Graphics

Audio

Integrated Speakers

Input Devices

Keyboard and Touchpad

Networking

Wifi IEEE 802.11b/g/n

Gigabit Ethernet

Power Supply

6 Cell Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) 4400 mAh

Battery Life 3.5hours

65Watt AC Adapter

Dimensions

Width 381 mm

Depth 253 mm

Height 34 mm

Weight 2.60 kg

Interfaces

3 x USB 2.0

1 x HDMI

1 x VGA

1 x RJ-45

Warranty / Miscellaneous

1 Year Manufacturer Warranty

Webcam

Of course you could follow the advice of one the affected posters here and pay £1000 for a Macbook Air. :)

I can buy four laptops with that.... and I'm quite sure that the second laptop(in say three years time) will outperfom the Macbook Air.

I'm not a fan of paying a premium for the latest thing.

Why don' t you just not buy one at all and use a cheap Internet shop? That way you don't have to worry about operating systems, warranties or theft. You are only going to be here for the winter after all.

Why don' t you just not buy one at all and use a cheap Internet shop? That way you don't have to worry about operating systems, warranties or theft. You are only going to be here for the winter after all.

Would you do your banking in a "cheap Internet shop"? What if you wish to communicate outside the hours of the Internet cafe? I'm glad that you thought your comment through before posting. ;)

Would you do your banking in a "cheap Internet shop"? What if you wish to communicate outside the hours of the Internet cafe? I'm glad that you thought your comment through before posting. ;)

No i wouldn't. Would you? But then again i would never consider buying a non-apple laptop, which is a lot of money for a winter holiday. I offered a suggestion. A suggestion is like an option. Sorry if you don't like my suggestion. I didn't realise all posts were monitored for approval by you. I'll remember next time.

No i wouldn't. Would you? But then again i would never consider buying a non-apple laptop, which is a lot of money for a winter holiday. I offered a suggestion. A suggestion is like an option. Sorry if you don't like my suggestion. I didn't realise all posts were monitored for approval by you. I'll remember next time.

Uh...hang on. You wouldn't consider doing your banking in a "cheap Internet cafe", but you offer it as a suggestion to the OP. Why?

Not only that, but this thread was created because the OP does want a laptop. :whistling:

So, your suggestion is that the OP should buy an APPLE, but seeing as it's so expensive, he shouldn't bother but instead he should go to a cheap Internet cafe. Right, got it.

You have to remember that everyone can read and perhaps comment on what you write.

I wouldn't bother to purchase an expensive machine for travel usage. Especially for use near the sea.

I also wouldn't buy one on Samui. You'll possibly pay a premium for doing so.

Take a look at this Toshiba NB250-107 for £144. Will be shiny and new.

Buy it and try it. I would consider swapping the included 1GB RAM module for a 2GB RAM module. £17.50 or less.

If you like it, go to the Toshiba website > Compatible Services and purchase the International Warranty Extension. £21 for two years. £34.50 for three years. PM me for more info.

That will cover you wherever Toshiba have a service centre.

There is also the option for all risks insurance(Complete protection - insurance for Theft, Accidental Damage, Fire and Flood anywhere in the world for £54. Though I'm not sure that I would bother for such an inexpensive machine.

Pointless spending loads of cash unless you need a high performance machine.

A Toshiba Netbook with 2GB RAM and a three year International warranty for under £200(10000 baht) is a good deal.

Correction: The Netbook above is the TOSHIBA NB500-107, not the NB250-107.

If you want longer battery life(for long trips) this Samsung N145P(up to ten hour battery life) for £159(8000 baht) is a relative bargain, replete with a genuine Windows 7 licence.

But if you envisage needing an optical drive to play CDs and DVDs that you purchase along the way, then you can either get a portable external DVD Writer for £22.50(1100 baht) or go the laptop route if you need a bigger screen.

Lots of inexpensive possibilities out there.

Basic model of laptop here:

Toshiba Satellite C660-13R £220(11000 baht) Full Specs

Really no need to spend a loads on a holiday purchase.

Stop sulking you little Apple fanboy.

Laptops are a really poor investment. When you have a problem it is normally an expensive repair. If you have the room for a desktop, that is definitely the way to go. Repairs can be done at a low cost at most small computer shops.

If you MUST have a laptop, Asus, Toshiba and Sony top the reliability ratings with Apple coming in fourth. I had a top of the line Lenovo Thinkpad that had two mainboard failures within five years. I elected NOT to fix it and bought a cheap Acer. (13,000 baht) I also have an HP Mini netbook. Both are fairly new with no problems so far. Actually the Acer belongs to my wife. She was using the Thinkpad until it died. She likes the Acer.

Before the Apple boys throw a hissy fit, a good friend of mine had a Toshiba that was a real lemon. He then bought a Sony and the first one was actually replaced with a new one because Sony couldn't get it properly repaired. I have also heard Acer horror stories. That said, I have no idea what the reliability ratings are worth. If I were to buy a laptop for myself, which I wouldn't, it would likely be an Asus.

Laptops are a really poor investment. When you have a problem it is normally an expensive repair. If you have the room for a desktop, that is definitely the way to go. Repairs can be done at a low cost at most small computer shops.

If you MUST have a laptop, Asus, Toshiba and Sony top the reliability ratings with Apple coming in fourth. I had a top of the line Lenovo Thinkpad that had two mainboard failures within five years. I elected NOT to fix it and bought a cheap Acer. (13,000 baht) I also have an HP Mini netbook. Both are fairly new with no problems so far. Actually the Acer belongs to my wife. She was using the Thinkpad until it died. She likes the Acer.

Before the Apple boys throw a hissy fit, a good friend of mine had a Toshiba that was a real lemon. He then bought a Sony and the first one was actually replaced with a new one because Sony couldn't get it properly repaired. I have also heard Acer horror stories. That said, I have no idea what the reliability ratings are worth. If I were to buy a laptop for myself, which I wouldn't, it would likely be an Asus.

What are you talking....? :D

First of all, it is a 'holiday buy' request. How on earth will he be able to lug a PC around with him??

Laptops and Netbooks are designed for portability. That is why they can be a really good investment. My Netbook has been a very good investment.

You are going to get 'Lemons' with every brand. Most laptops are put together by Taiwanese companies and not by the 'brand names' themselves. That includes Apple, Sony...

You can read about it.

OEM_notebooks_08Q1-1-thumb.jpg

Best to purchase from a company that gives a good warranty and after sales service. Which is why I link to a machine where a 3 year International warranty was possible.

Jiu-Jitsu and everyone who took the time to look at this post -thank you very much. I now know that I

don't need an expensive p.c. just for a couple of winter months. I was half expecting ridicule for my

ignorance of technology but instead have been given masses of real help. I do use my main laptop

at home to download itunes however have been known to lose some valued stuff even at that, not

backing up properly etc.

Thanks again and will take the opportunity to p.m. at some point as offered, if I may.

Grandslam

The ACER Aspire 5742Z aforementioned in post #11 is back on at £230. Click here

Only has a mono sound(unless plugged in to speakers or headphones). I haven't seen one, so can't vouch for build quality or reliability, but it is undoubtedly excellent value according to it's specifications.

You won't find anything comparable in Thailand.

Though if you already have a laptop at home, you may prefer the netbook for it's portability and possible lengthy battery life. They weigh between 1kg to 1.25kgs.

To balance the comments that the Acer notebooks shouldn't be considered, I am on my second Acer, and couldn't be happier with it. The first one is still operational, but was getting a wee bit slow (Pentium M 2Ghz), so I upgraded. I have swapped out the hard drive for a Momentus XT and upped the RAM to 4GB. So, Acer does make *some* good notebooks. I've had two of them. :thumbsup:

My current Acer is a TravelMate TM8172T with 11.6" screen. I bought it in Thailand. I can't recall the price in baht, but the charge appeared as US$790 on my VISA bill. I wanted a small unit for travel. It's small and lightweight, so easy to carry on board flights and has good battery life (about five hours for typical WiFi-connected use.)

I too have an ACER bought in Thailand that is more than three years old and still kicking. But really, it means nothing. Customer service will vary as to your location. Build quality will also vary as will wear and tear from user to user. Some designs have been more successful than others.

My ACER Aspire One has suffered two or three times with not booting. But as I know the boot recovery procedure, I was up and running in minutes. Someone else might assume that it was bricked and given up.

I'm happy with my ACER purchases. Got them at a good price.