Uk Passport For My Newborn Son

Hi All,

I am just filling in the passport application for my new born son. I am british and the mother thai. We are living in Bangkok.

I have some questions.

What documents do i need to include in the application;

- Childs original Thai birth certificate + translated version legalised by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Does this also need to be legalised by the British Embassy?)

- Fathers original birth certificate (British)

- Do we need to include the mothers original birth certificate (Thai)?

- Marriage Certificate (Original)

Anything else?

I am planning to go back to the UK at the beginning of August so i hope that the turn around time is quick, any ideas of how long?

I will also apply for a UK visa for my wife (She has already had a UK Marriage visa) - i think i will go for a family visit visa as we will visit my mother. Is the family one a good choice? If so i will get the 2 year one.

Any advice would be great.

AS

we did this for our son in may , we took copys of her birth cert and had this translated also , cant remember if they needed it but we had it as we did visa also so had a copy , but remember to get the photo signed from someone and also the form needs to be signed from the same person that has signed the photo , took a week to get birth cert and about 3 weeks for passport , wish the visa was that quick ,

but the documents you have listed are good

My children had British passports issued (Dec '08 and April '11) on the strength of the original Thai birth certificate supported by a professional translation, which had not been 'legalised' by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs in either case.  

Both applications were made in person at the British Embassy in Bangkok, although everything will be sent to the British Consulate General in Hong Kong who are responsible for issuing passports in the region.

I didn't produce my wife's Thai birth certificate, but you will need to show the mother's passport (neither she nor the child need to be present).  

You will need the full version of your British birth certificate, original Thai marriage certificate supported by a translation, your passport and, of course the fee (something in the region of THB 5000), which can be paid by debit card.

The documents will be copied at the embassy and returned to you immediately, the passport should arrive 3-4 weeks later.

Good luck!

Edit: layout

Edited by lingyaiyai

• 3 weeks later...

My children had British passports issued (Dec '08 and April '11) on the strength of the original Thai birth certificate supported by a professional translation, which had not been 'legalised' by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs in either case.  

Both applications were made in person at the British Embassy in Bangkok, although everything will be sent to the British Consulate General in Hong Kong who are responsible for issuing passports in the region.

I didn't produce my wife's Thai birth certificate, but you will need to show the mother's passport (neither she nor the child need to be present).  

You will need the full version of your British birth certificate, original Thai marriage certificate supported by a translation, your passport and, of course the fee (something in the region of THB 5000), which can be paid by debit card.

The documents will be copied at the embassy and returned to you immediately, the passport should arrive 3-4 weeks later.

Good luck!

Edit: layout

You do not need a marriage certificate if your not married!

Edited by jflundy