Political Candidate Not As White As Advertised

maidu

I had to take a few double takes, when I first saw the posters of the designated political candidate for Puea Thai in the Chiang Rai region. After awhile, I realized it's my neighbor, and a guy I've known for an eighth of a century (12.5 years). He was one of the first guys I met here, when he was pu yai ban (village headman) of this tiny village just NW of Chiang Rai town. He used to play recordings of Thaksin talking - loud on loudspeakers - at the crack of dawn on Saturdays and Sundays. That must have put him in good favor with then-TRT. Apparently he rose through the ranks, because now he's Puea Thai's choice to take the whole cake, or at least Chiang Rai's cake.

In the poster he's about 54 shades whiter than his natural skin tone, and I can guess where he got the starched white naval suit from (a rental shop?) but where did he get the six medals pinned to his chest? If he ever stands in front of a group of reporters, one should ask him what the medals signify - what sorts of specific achievements?

P.S. don't loan the guy any money - if you ever want to get paid back.

The medals would likely be royal decorations of merit (for length of service or rising in the ranks of the civil service .... the uniform comes from the same source ... dress civil service uni....

The skin whitener comes from Nivea and Photoshop

(You can trust that the medals are real --- he'd be done if he faked them)

I have seen so many white uniforms with pounds of medals and gold braide on posters over the years, that I swear to god that Thailand has more admirals than some small countires have populations :lol:

I like khun Samart, I met him last week at the game.

He is a very nice, kind and gentle person.

Out of politeness I won't open a book about some other candidates here.

Don't underestimate the Chiang Rai electorate! They surprised before ...

Limbo :yohan:

Hey Limbo ! ! ! !

Geez; keep running into each other in many places and on many occasions,hey ?

Ha,ha,ha: do you know when a Politician is lying ? ? ? When his lips are moving ! ! !

(oh; and this is pretty much a Universal phenomena)

:D

Cheers,

JaapFries

Hey Limbo ! ! ! !

Geez; keep running into each other in many places and on many occasions,hey ?

Ha,ha,ha: do you know when a Politician is lying ? ? ? When his lips are moving ! ! !

(oh; and this is pretty much a Universal phenomena)

:D

Cheers,

JaapFries

Wouldn't expect to see you show up here :blink:

Just to keep it on-topic Jaap:

My wife went shopping in Tachilek yesterday,

the harvest was among others Hoegaarden wit/blanche (45 Baht a bottle) and a

nice Australian Cabernet Shiraz (Pennfolds Bin 8, 520 Baht a bottle) of 2009.

I'm not sure if I can keep it under cork as long as you can :lol:

Skating isn't the only discipline in which you humble me 555!

Have a great day and success with the project, it's very impressive!

Edit: to go on-topic for real:

Since the Chiang Rai electorate unexpectedly chose Khun Deng

(Mrs. Tuenjai Deetes) as their senator a number of years ago

I'm fully confident that we as foreigners absolutely don't have to worry

about the ability of the Chiang Rai citizens to make their choice.

Edited by Limbo

Let me add that Dr. Ploum of the Overbrook Hospital was elected

senator after Khun Deng retired from politics. He was respected by

everybody as a doctor who worked day and night.

Both Khun Deng and Dr. Ploum were were independent candidates.

By the same Chiang Rai electorate they were choosen!

Many of us will know Dr. Ploum as he was the doctor of most foreigners

before the Sriburin Hospital was built.

The military coupe sadly ended his short political career.

Since we're mentioning names, I can say the poster of the Puea Thai's candidate has the name is Tawin (with an 'L' on the end, pronounced 'n'). Pretty sure, though not 100% because he looks so different in the heavily airbrushed photo. He's shown on his own in some posters, and with Yingluck on others. Some mentioned here that the medals must be real, or else people can get in trouble in Thailand (for wearing medals that aren't theirs). I would be flabbergasted if even one of those medals on his chest are real. A closer look at the poster shows what looks to be 'flying wings' above the medals, and very special medal below the ones with ribbons. That's roughly 7 commendations altogether, not counting the epaulettes on his Navy-looking uniform (p.s.. epaulettes connote officer rank).

In the fledgling world of Thai politics there aren't debates, and even if there were, neither a political opponent nor a regular citizen would question such a thing as 'whether medals and commendations were real or fake.' Thais are simply much more concerned with everyone saving face, than such nebulous concepts as honesty and accountability.

The Beatles and Michael Jackson prancing around in rented officers' uniforms, maybe that's ok. But politicians.......... or wannabe politicians - is another story.

I think someone mentioned the medals where just for Civil service type things. time served in government Jobs.

I think its to do with them all working for the King. Would make sense.

The Flying wings are quite popular too, but I suspect its something to do with the Garuda than time spent jumping out of Aeroplanes or indeed flying them.

Looks smart anyway I guess :)

Since we're talking about Campaign photographs, you should see the guy in the Toga!

And then there's this guy who looked like a goon in dark glasses. WHY???

I will take photos of these campaign photographs and start a facebook page or submit them to LOLPIX. ha ha...

I think someone mentioned the medals where just for Civil service type things. time served in government Jobs.

The Flying wings are quite popular too, but I suspect its something to do with the Garuda than time spent jumping out of Aeroplanes or indeed flying them.

Jubby, you sound too nice and forgiving in your assessment on this issue. I feel strongly that the medals and the uniform itself, are as bogus as the yellowish white skin the candidate is depicted with. Incidentally, I've noticed more recently, since posting this thread, that there's a newer series of posters of this same candidate which shows him with darker skin (though still blemish-free and still not as dark as his real complexion) - plus, he's depicted wearing a business suit rather than a naval officer's uniform with multiple decorations. Upon closer inspection of his original depiction, you can see a wide burgundy sash and a very fancy special medal lower down his chest.

Sorry to sound repetitive, but I'm quite sure that scrutiny will show that most or all of the decorations are for show only. I know things about the guy as he manifests in the real world, and they have nothing to do with citations from on high, unless he's got a secret life (like a fairy tale ditch digger who's actually a prince - sort of thing). I won't go into detail about what I know about him, but it's world's apart from the image shown on the posters. On the other hand, it is impressive in a 'rags to riches' sort of way. Heck, maybe he can repay my paltry loan to him, if he moves in to the governor's mansion (which he's been avoiding for over 10 years, while spewing forth reams of excuses, and touching my arms and smiling meekly and rolling his eyes like an over caffeinated Pee Wee Herman).

If that's the overall best candidate Puea Thai can field for Chiang Rai, then good luck folks.

Jubby, you sound too nice and forgiving in your assessment on this issue. I feel strongly that the medals and the uniform itself, are as bogus as the yellowish white skin the candidate is depicted with. Incidentally, I've noticed more recently, since posting this thread, that there's a newer series of posters of this same candidate which shows him with darker skin (though still blemish-free and still not as dark as his real complexion) - plus, he's depicted wearing a business suit rather than a naval officer's uniform with multiple decorations. Upon closer inspection of his original depiction, you can see a wide burgundy sash and a very fancy special medal lower down his chest.

Sorry to sound repetitive, but I'm quite sure that scrutiny will show that most or all of the decorations are for show only. I know things about the guy as he manifests in the real world, and they have nothing to do with citations from on high, unless he's got a secret life (like a fairy tale ditch digger who's actually a prince - sort of thing). I won't go into detail about what I know about him, but it's world's apart from the image shown on the posters. On the other hand, it is impressive in a 'rags to riches' sort of way. Heck, maybe he can repay my paltry loan to him, if he moves in to the governor's mansion (which he's been avoiding for over 10 years, while spewing forth reams of excuses, and touching my arms and smiling meekly and rolling his eyes like an over caffeinated Pee Wee Herman).

If that's the overall best candidate Puea Thai can field for Chiang Rai, then good luck folks.

As I say, He seems normal for here. Scrutiny is probably not in the Thai Vocabulary.

I have loaned money to thais too. It won't be coming back, neither will yours. :D

Not Nice, more resigned to the situation with Politics here. Theres almost an Honesty in the Dishonesty :)

I'd pick him over most of my own countrys Politicians B)