Road Maps And Rules Of Traffic

farangnoi

I forgot, what's a good roadmap (brand) and where to buy a good roadmap. I'm more a mapreader then using Navigation cause i like myself more focused on the road and traffic.

Second where can i find the rules of traffic, in Thailand, anyone can recommend me a good site?

2TX

The rule you have to know well is that any portion of the roadway between the trees or houses is usable by any type of vehicle, going at any speed, in any direction, at any time, and that vehicle does not need to look for nor yield to oncoming traffic. We just got back from Pai and had a great trip, but braking into some corners was a bit sketchy when you see a pickup carrying a ton of garlic in what the West would call "your" lane. I don't mean just crossing the center line; I mean completely on the opposite shoulder following the rule above.

I have a pretty good road atlas of Thailand published by 'Roads Association of Thailand'. It has a 'highway code' that gives an expanation of road signs and road markings. Not nearly as comprehensive as the UK code but a start.

As pointed out by BBBKK 7-11's usually carry some good maps. Thinknet seem best of the bunch to me.

The rule you have to know well is that any portion of the roadway between the trees or houses is usable by any type of vehicle, going at any speed, in any direction, at any time, and that vehicle does not need to look for nor yield to oncoming traffic. We just got back from Pai and had a great trip, but braking into some corners was a bit sketchy when you see a pickup carrying a ton of garlic in what the West would call "your" lane. I don't mean just crossing the center line; I mean completely on the opposite shoulder following the rule above.

agreed

In theory there is the Highwaycode, but most times it is like above

what you should do is to get a Thai DL. Then you learn the same as everyone else :)

and you are in a much better situation if you should be involved in an accident

Most 7-11's offer a pretty decent selection of paper maps. If you're touring up north the GT Rider maps are excellent.

I'm not aware that there are any road rules or traffic laws in Thailand... ;):whistling::lol:

There ARE traffic rules, it's just that no-one obeys them. At www.thailaws.com you can find an English translation of the Land Traffic Act. It's not very different, in essence, to western rules! One difference though is that a vehicle to your left has right of way, which is why bikes emerging from side roads and turning left do so without even looking. It used to be the same in France (maybe still is on minor roads?), there it's vehicles on the right (since they drive on the wrong side of the road...:unsure:).

Most 7-11's offer a pretty decent selection of paper maps. If you're touring up north the GT Rider maps are excellent.

I'm not aware that there are any road rules or traffic laws in Thailand... ;):whistling::lol:

There ARE traffic rules, it's just that no-one obeys them. At www.thailaws.com you can find an English translation of the Land Traffic Act. It's not very different, in essence, to western rules! One difference though is that a vehicle to your left has right of way, which is why bikes emerging from side roads and turning left do so without even looking. It used to be the same in France (maybe still is on minor roads?), there it's vehicles on the right (since they drive on the wrong side of the road...:unsure:).

Right of way is as follows

1. The larger roads vehicles have the right of way

IOW, driving on one digit Highway gives you right of way over 2 digit over 3 digit over 4 digit which is local road.

All these have the right of way over none number roads,

If two none number roads meet, Thanon has the right of way over Soi.

All public roads have the right of way over private roads and driveways

2. If two EQUAL roads meet, like two 4 digit roads meet, the vehicle from LEFT has the right of way, but that is the only occasion LEFT is considered to have the right of way

BUT

In real life the largest and/or fastest vehicle goes first, and above is only valid in an Insurance claim if you have sufficient number of witnesses on your side